Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cam timing PDF and question...

Posted By: jammytask

Cam timing PDF and question... - 24/08/2019 16:33

Hello. Does anyone have a copy of Skinflint's cambelt timing/change PDF I could have? I've changed my cambelt as part of a front end refurb, Eiffel towers, slam panel etc, and have a horrible feeling it's a tooth out...

Engine turned over a few times manually, no issues, fires up fine but as soon as I take my foot off the throttle it dies, injector light is on.

Any clues from you more knowledgeable folk?

Thanks, Chris
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 24/08/2019 16:55

Should be here.. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CHx_WlD4alMFI5R0I1VEVrSmc
Official doc here as well. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CHx_WlD4alWGZraDNlVkV2dkU

If the Injector Light is on you could try Barnacle's StarTrek software to get a diagnostic read.

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 24/08/2019 17:55

Thanks ever so much Skinflint.

I'll do some reading and try to find out more about StarTrek software.

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 24/08/2019 18:12

I think the HowTo is here.. https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1612868#Post1612868

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 24/08/2019 18:37

Thanks 👍🏻
Posted By: Heatseeker

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 25/08/2019 10:08

if you use Startreck you will need an old laptop Win 98
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 26/08/2019 15:34

Hardly, I developed it on W2k... I believe it works on W7 and probably W10 (might need a compatibility mode). I can't help you with that though as I haven't used Windows for ten years now; I don't have any Windows machines around.

But... if you changed the belt - did you change the cam sensor at the same time? For reasons I don't know, it's common that it fails immediately after a belt change.

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 27/08/2019 17:12

Originally Posted by barnacle
Hardly, I developed it on W2k... I believe it works on W7 and probably W10 (might need a compatibility mode). I can't help you with that though as I haven't used Windows for ten years now; I don't have any Windows machines around.

But... if you changed the belt - did you change the cam sensor at the same time? For reasons I don't know, it's common that it fails immediately after a belt change.

Thanks Barnacle, I didn't change it, benefit of hindsight n'all that... Saying that though, I read somewhere that if the car starts at all its not likely to be a cam sensor failure?

Living in rural France is delightful apart from when trying to diagnose issues with non native cars!
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 28/08/2019 07:12

Hi
I have the SK diagnostic. Depending on where you are I could come over and we can have a look.
I am close to Limoges.
Frazer
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 28/08/2019 08:20

Note that the 50nm torque values given for the belt tensioners in both those guides is wrong, it should only be 25nm as specified in the Fiat engine manual. You will strip the nut or stud at 50nm.

See this old thread for more details :

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1605641

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 28/08/2019 22:06

Hi Graham
Sorry to see that the guide caused you extra work with the high torque setting.
Mine was OK with it both times but my torque wrench doesn't feel like it is doing a lot at 50 nm.
Value was taken from the generic guide, however I'd personally choose the high side of 25 nm - it seems low for such a critical component that relies on tension to retain the correct position.
I'll be happy to change the guide to avoid a repeat.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 28/08/2019 22:39

No worries, I'm not knocking the guide as other than that torque setting (which I know came from the other "professional" guide) it was great and I couldn't have done the job without it. smile

Here are the torque figures from the official Fiat engine manual, fixed tensioner at the top and adjustable tensioner at the bottom. Both showing 2.5daNm , or 25Nm.

click to enlarge

Worth at least mentioning the discrepancy and pointing out that 25Nm is typical for a 9.8 strength nut, which is how the official Fiat nut for the adjustable tensioner is marked.

Re: Cam timing PDF and question... - 29/08/2019 11:25

Thanks for all this info folks.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK