Fiat Coupe Club UK

No wipers or climate control

Posted By: Steve62

No wipers or climate control - 26/08/2019 17:27

Hi guys I’ve got an intermittent problem with my 20vt plus wipers/washers working intermittently but when they’re not working neither is my climate control, when it kicks in both work again! Tried a spare motor not that! fuses all good, could it be a relay issue? Can’t think of anything else! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks steve
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: No wipers or climate control - 26/08/2019 19:53

Hi Steve, this won't be much help I'm afraid but interesting nonetheless.

My main beam and central locking button both stopped working. I checked the fuses which were fine but after I did so both started working again.

Similar to your problem so looking forward to seeing how this thread developes.

Re: No wipers or climate control - 26/08/2019 20:37

Thanks for the response I’ve checked rechecked all the fuses dozens of times, taken the relays out put them back in, checked the engine fuses but still the same 🙄 don’t understand why the washers/ wipers and climate control both don’t work? I assume they are on different circuits 🤔

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 09:44

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 😩
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:02

In the passenger footwell to the right of the ecu is the fan control unit. Look for the plug with several wires going in and give it a wiggle with the fan turned on (not to "Auto" setting)

Does your fan work on Auto at all? Or at MIN or MAX settings?

I'll try and find a pic of the fan control...

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:07

Here you go, this is the fan resistor location

click to enlarge

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:08

Thanks Edinburgh I’ll give it a whirl the fan doesn’t work on any settings at all until everything kicks in then both work wipers, fan but seems to go off if I have both on!

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:10

To confirm, when both are fully working independently, if you have the fan on and you switch on the wipers the fan goes off?

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:14

It's a long shot but the thin wires in the loom which snakes up behind the radio sometimes get /strippedsnagged by the really sharp edges of the frame.....maybe worth reaching up behind there and giving that a wiggle with the wipers/fans ON (but "not working")

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 11:21

Usually when they are working if I use both at the same time they both go off!

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 12:32

At this point I'd need to await the arrival of the auto-elecricians on here I'm afraid, sorry

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 12:35

Thanks anyway 👍
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 14:43

The wipers, screen washer pump and climate control are all powered via fuse #3 (marked with wipers symbol) in fuse box, so most likely a dodgy connection at the fuse holder or at the connector block where that power line exits on the back of the fuse box, which is a light blue/red striped cable on connector "I".

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 15:45

Originally Posted by GrahamL
The wipers, screen washer pump and climate control are all powered via fuse #3 (marked with wipers symbol) in fuse box, so most likely a dodgy connection at the fuse holder or at the connector block where that power line exits on the back of the fuse box, which is a light blue/red striped cable on connector "I".

I did see this in the FAQ info section but the OP implied he'd checked all fuses confused
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 15:56

The fuse itself may be OK as far as not being blown, but it could still have a dodgy connection if the fuse box socket is corroded, loose or damaged, or the fuse legs are corroded. Or sometimes you can have a dodgy connection at the big plugs coming out the top/back of the fuse box, so dropping the complete box and checking around the light blue/red wire on connector "I" would be worth a look.

If the problem is intermittent then presumably the fuse isn't blown, but more likely there's a dodgy connection somewhere on the power or ground side and given all the problem components are on the same power circuit that would be the obvious place to start checking, from the fuse connections back.

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 16:10

Ta muchly graham I will investigate further fuse #3 any idea of the ampage? Thanks again 😃

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 20:05

Steve, have a look in the FAQ section and you'll find a lot of essential stuff, including

this

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 20:30

Thanks Simon

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 21:05

Happy to oblige smile

Incidentally your profile says you have a "2003" 20vt - are you sure? wink laugh

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 21:26

Yes absolutely cool

Re: No wipers or climate control - 27/08/2019 22:19

Ok, officially Fiat ceased production of the Coupe in 2000..."Y" registrations finished in August 2001.

So out of interest - if yours isn't a personalised plate - what letter prefix do you have?

Perhaps your vehicle was first "registered" in 2003?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: No wipers or climate control - 28/08/2019 10:57

Could it be this car or another from the same "batch"?

Re: No wipers or climate control - 28/08/2019 23:52

Yes it was first registered 03 Simon and yes Dave that’s my car love

Re: No wipers or climate control - 29/08/2019 03:57

It's a pity, trawling through previous related threads, that all the pics of this seem to have been zapped by Photobucket frown

Re: No wipers or climate control - 29/08/2019 20:48

Yes I noticed I’ll try and get some up there laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK