Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fuel Problems ?

Posted By: Anonymous

Fuel Problems ? - 06/09/2019 15:45

Hi all,

Got a fuel problem last night. Had just used the Coop and parked it for 20 mins. Got back in and it started and then spluttered to a halt as it just wasn't getting any fuel. Tried a few more times with same result and then finally not even a splutter Had to get it rescued and leave it at garage last night.
Car Cranks over fine with no warning lights, just not starting.
Where do I start my fault finding
?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 06/09/2019 16:00

When you say "had just used the Coop" was that a short journey? If so, then the engine might have been flooded (with fuel) making the restart after a short time difficult. To get a flooded engine started, I floor the accelerator pedal before switching on the ignition, then keep the pedal pressed down while cranking the engine. This allows as much air in as possible and eventually it should cough and splutter back into life. However, don't spin the started for too long at a time, and you may even flatten the battery in your attempts to restart (which may set off the alarm) in which case you might need to "jump" it with another battery, or just give it a quick charge before trying again. If you are pretty sure that nothing has broken in the meantime, this should work, but non-starting can be caused by many other problems...

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 06/09/2019 16:58

Can you hear fuel pump priming for a few seconds when you turn on ignition? If not, check yellow connector near fuel cut off switch (and press the fuel cut off switch button to reset it while you're there, just in case!), usually hanging beside fuse box. It can become corroded, or have dodgy connections, usual solution is just to cut it out of the circuit and solder the wires directly together.

If fuel pump is priming, what exactly are the injection light and code light doing? Both should come on, go off and stay off during cranking. If either isn't coming on at all, is staying on or coming back on during cranking then that will point at the source of the problem.

If it's starting OK now that it's cooled down then probably just failing injectors, as they often initially fail just when hot but are OK once they cool down.

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 06/09/2019 19:15

Thanks guys, will check your suggestions out when I get her back next week.

Update: Of course the coop started the first time they tried it at garage, so it could be heat related as the engine was still hot/ warm when it first failed, though I did try it once more when we left it at the garage last night and it was cold by then.
I don't think I heard the pump and I do normally notice that. So a good shout there Graham.

where is fuel pump located ? - 23/08/2020 21:35

Thread resurrection from last year.
I never got round to tackling this and after it happening a few more times I stopped using the coop for last 6 months.
It now has given up the ghost totally.

Sold my G-wagen unexpectantly last week so have no wheels. there are no trains in either direction due to landslides and floods. and even the canal and towpath is closed due to land slide. So trapped in Linlithgow rolleyes

Recap from today:
* Engine cranks fine, no code lights, or injector lights on dash when cranking or at ignition.
* fuel cut off switch above bonnet release was depressed already,
* yellow connector beside fuel box seemed fine as its clean and dry (though may need to check again with glasses on or brighter light.)
* swapping relays in passenger footwell made no difference, checked the 2 fuses also.
* Cleaned the idle control valve and dribbled some fuel in. Car started fine and ran until fuel - I dribbled in - ran out.
It cant be the fuel filter as on the occassions previously when I did eventually start the car - it ran and drove fine without any problems.

So I presume as has been suggested that the Fuel Pump is the likely culprit or at least next thing to check.
If so where is it located or where is a guide on forum located.

Re: where is fuel pump located ? - 23/08/2020 23:06

When you say "no code lights, or injector lights on dash when cranking or at ignition" do you mean they don't come on at all, not even coming on and going off? Code light and injection light should both come on with ignition and then go off and stay off during cranking.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you switch on ignition? If not, check for +12v at the pump (under black plastic inspection hatch in boot between spare wheel well and rear seat) when you turn on ignition. Will only be +12v there for a couple of seconds to prime the system. If you're getting +12v then replace pump, if no +12v at pump then check yellow connector at fuse box/cut-off switch + check both relays + pump fuse above ECU in passenger footwell.

Re: where is fuel pump located ? - 24/08/2020 00:27

Yes they do come on and go off during cranking.
I hear clicking which I assume is pump on ignition though it does sound like its coming from passenger side dash or footwell.
So pump fuse is not one of the ones attached to Relay connections ?

Thanks Graham

Re: where is fuel pump located ? - 24/08/2020 08:00

Yes, I think it's the fuel pump + lambda sensor fuse there, also the fuel pump relay + main injection system relay. Both relays and the fuel pump fuse have to be OK for fuel pump to work.

If you're getting repeated fast clicks from passenger footwell it can be a ground or ECU problem.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: where is fuel pump located ? - 24/08/2020 11:16

Originally Posted by GrahamL
Yes, I think it's the fuel pump + lambda sensor fuse there, also the fuel pump relay + main injection system relay. Both relays and the fuel pump fuse have to be OK for fuel pump to work.

If you're getting repeated fast clicks from passenger footwell it can be a ground or ECU problem.

Or a near flat battery would also do the same thing.

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 24/08/2020 14:18

Ok sorted. cool laugh

Corroded connections at pump! So cleaned and started first time.
Had I not had 2nd car to use I would have sorted it 9 months ago.
Just bought another car which I'm going to pick up tonite so thank god I fixed it or it would have been lying for another 9 months.
MOT and Service and no doubt it'll put a smile on my face again, and drain my wallet when I drive it again.

Thanks for the help Graham and all.

ps. Are the 2 Relays in passenger footwell exactly the same ? It will save me swapping them back again if they are.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 24/08/2020 14:20

Great result at last!

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 27/09/2020 22:29

I'm butting in on this conversation, I apologise. I had my car off the road for a number of years, and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't. We've come to the same conclusion as you that it is down to the relays.. The pump relay works, but we're having difficulty recognising/locating the main relay. I would be delighted if you could help. And also, if you could help me navigate the club website that I can work out how to pay to join the club.

Re: Fuel Problems ? - 28/09/2020 09:06

I have just appeared on the scene and do not know my way around the site. I'm looking for technical information on a fuel related subject. I am not very talented as regards using my computer, so a friendly note from someone to help me on my way would be very much appreciated.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK