Fiat Coupe Club UK

Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw

Posted By: DaveG

Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 07/09/2019 13:16

I'm trying to remove the carpet in the passenger compartment but have hit a problem. When the acccelerator pedal goes to the floot, it touces a round plastic pad screwed into the carpet/floor and I can't seem to be able to remove the large screw holding the pad in place. The screw keeps on turning and does not come out. I've tried pulling up the pad (well, levering up the pad but with screwdrivers) but the screw won't come out :

Also, I've taken out the 3 bolts on the foot rest but is there another bolt at the back or left side?

Does anyone have any tips for removal of these two obstacles?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 07/09/2019 13:57

There is a screw accessed from the passenger footwell for the footrest, i`ll have a quick look at the throttle pedal stop fixing now.

Re: Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 07/09/2019 14:02

and pedal stop fixing is captive rectangular nut of the type with 2 tabs. Hope someone has better method as the only one of these I got stuck with I destoyed the trim to get to the fixing which I could then remove.

Re: Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 07/09/2019 19:53

Thanks KBT, found the 4th bolt in the foot rest. For the pedal stop thing, in the end I drilled off the top of the screw (eventually) leaving the long-ish shaft of the screw still spinning around in the captive nut, which is as you say a square nut with 2 tabs. Not sure how to remove it, might just have to leave it as it is...

Re: Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 08/09/2019 05:44

I assume the nut is pressed in from the front. My spinning one was in n/s c - pillar. As a replacement I used an odd sized old FIAT/LANCIA trim clip.

Re: Can't remove throttle pedal pad / carpet screw - 10/09/2019 20:00

Here's a picture of the offending screw, or what's left of it

Attached picture 20190907_153514a.jpg
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK