Fiat Coupe Club UK

“Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget

Posted By: RusH

“Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 06:39

Hi guys,

Have the following error on my Barnacle Widget - “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage”.

As straight forward as a failing Alternator? Or any other ideas?

Battery is brand new, car is only used at the weekends and put back on trickle charge after every use. I have been limiting myself to short journeys as I don’t want to end up broken down with a dead battery.

Any pointers for identifying the potential issue before I get it booked in for a repair?

I assume a multi meter would give me the output of the alternator....? Any pointers appreciated.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 08:44

Why was the battery replaced? It might have died due to excess voltage or insufficient voltage from the alternator, so you should check. After starting, voltage should be over 14V, dropping to 13V when running. Battery at rest should be 12.5V+ (all from memory, I stand to be corrected!) Does the oil warning light glow at all, this is an indicator of a failing alternator...

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 10:37

The battery was replaced because the car was sat un-used and in the garage for a good number of months. It suffers from a drain if left for over a month without being used and in error I forgot to connect it to the trickle charge. This just killed the battery as it was so flat and would not take a charge hence the replacement.

No issues with the oil light glow (i will check that again mind).

I've tried a number of cycles on the widget (restarts and it's not clearing) so the fault is definately remaining.

Just trying to rule things out before I take it to the garage.

NB: Looks like i'm off to buy a VOlt Meter later to take a reading from the battery with the car running/off.

Will report back smile

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 11:14

Interestling I can't re-call if the Widget has a Volt option to be selected. Albeit problem is that the error covers the standard screen.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 11:29

Hi Rush, I had that very same alert some years ago, a new battery solved the problem..... smile
Posted By: williamsdad

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 11:58

I recently bought an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to run two usb's ... a nice addition to this is a voltage display which gives you a digital reading without having to hook up a volt meter :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-1A-Fast-Charging-2-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-for-iPhone-12V-24V-Adapter-Phone-HUB-X/293100410207?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=591960778255&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 15:43

Originally Posted by jimboy
Hi Rush, I had that very same alert some years ago, a new battery solved the problem..... smile

Hmm - im not sure that will solve the issue as the battery is brand new. The error remains even when the battery is fully charged having been left for weeks on trickle charge.

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 15:47

Originally Posted by williamsdad
I recently bought an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to run two usb's ... a nice addition to this is a voltage display which gives you a digital reading without having to hook up a volt meter :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-1A-Fast-Charging-2-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-for-iPhone-12V-24V-Adapter-Phone-HUB-X/293100410207?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=591960778255&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Interesting - thank you - may just check that out. Could be a cheaper option than the Voltmeter purchase as an interim option.

NB: Just purchased one as they actually look quite handy anyway. Could you give me the read outs you have with engine off and running from the adaptor? Handy to have a comparison on the basis the unit has a true reading smile
Posted By: barnacle

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 17:50

Damnit, I designed the widget and *I* can't remember whether it does volts or not. It does on the 16, so it probably does on the 20; you'll have to get a terminal on it and check.

But - it's possible that there is an error which has been recovered but which has not yet removed itself from the system - it can take a number of restarts before this happens. The startrek code for 20v/vt allows you to clear this manually.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 17:53

Yes Neil, one of the 10 parameters is a volt reading smile

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 17/09/2019 17:57

Thanks Neil.

Think I have done perhaps 10/20 restarts.

Shall I disconnect the battery and leave it to try and clear the error?

I don’t have the StarTrek option (I’m technically illiterate)

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 18/09/2019 17:34

It's worth a try. You may need up to sixty-four starts for it to clear. Part of the issue is that the widget by design shows outstanding errors which wouldn't trigger a red light.

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 18/09/2019 19:52

Interesting! Will have a play around and see what the volt meter shows.

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 20/09/2019 10:14

Just done a test on the car.

12.4 with ignition on.

13.8 was the reading with the engine running.

So based on the above that looks to be inline with the tolerance range.....? Perhaps it is just the Widget storing an error code. I'll do some more cycles and hope that it clears. At least it gives me the confidence that i'm not going to be left stranded somewhere with a flat battery.

Unless anyone has another suggestion/note to the contray.

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 20/09/2019 19:13

Nothing wrong with those voltages.

Just for clarity - the widget doesn't store faults, it displays faults that the ECU has stored.

Re: “Engine Alert - Battery Voltage” - Widget - 20/09/2019 20:29

Originally Posted by barnacle
Nothing wrong with those voltages.

Just for clarity - the widget doesn't store faults, it displays faults that the ECU has stored.

Thank you
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK