Fiat Coupe Club UK

Gearstick on later 5 speed box

Posted By: ucoupia

Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 18/09/2019 16:40

Advice needed please. I am fitting a later 5 speed box and complete handbrake/gearchange support to a 20vt and would like to know if the sliding runner over the gearstick can be dispensed with and the gearstick shortened, thanks in advance for your imput.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 20/09/2019 11:23

The black tube can be shortened to keep the reverse lock action, needs a section removed from the centre and then bond it back together, this would be my route to ensure you don't accidentally catch reverse.
Posted By: ucoupia

Re: Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 20/09/2019 17:51

Thanks Joe, can i modify the tube from the earlier 3 cable box as i don`t have the parts needed from the later box.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 03/10/2019 08:19

Originally Posted by ucoupia
Thanks Joe, can i modify the tube from the earlier 3 cable box as i don`t have the parts needed from the later box.

You can take a section out of the early gear stick, be careful of the reverse lock cable plastic clip because if you break that while you're shortening the cable it never works properly after that.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 18/10/2019 16:17

Mine broke moons ago, I used superglue and then wired it in place, guess it had become brittle with age, not a great design when looking at it.
Posted By: 8198cthomas

Re: Gearstick on later 5 speed box - 18/10/2019 16:34

What about one of these I’m fitting one on my coupe.
Already have one on my Gtv v6

https://www.totallyalfa.com/shop/cl...0-c630-gearboxes-sports-shifter-adapter/
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK