Fiat Coupe Club UK

Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working

Posted By: aaronmac

Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:11

Hi all, finally got my VIS started and driving after a prolonged affair...Now as above states, the front parking lights, rear tail lights and centre console and instrument binnacle lights aren't working...

Fuse was blown and replaced, but did not blow again...brake lights working but changed all bulbs anyway.... One front connector was slightly oxidised so cleaned with contact cleaner...

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:16

I investigated behind the centre console and the right t5 small push bulb to light the heater controls was blown and the holder melted and looking shoddy, I cut it out and replaced with a new holder and bulbs, but still no joy....

I had a look at the wiring behind the console and nothing seems to be chafed or rubbing on anything... Checked earth in boot today but was too wet to open the bonnet to check the earths there....

One strange thing is that the dipped lights work l, however no symbol illuminates in the instrument binnacle, weird, but the headlight symbol does light up?

Pulling my hair out at this point so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Is there a relay I should be looking for or would this circuit have one even? Also is it common or likely that the stalk itself is dodgy? Please help?!!! Thanks

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:20

Here's a shot of the bulb before I repaired with a replacement holder...

Attached picture IMG_20190925_222536_compress53.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20190925_222552_compress35.jpg
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:36

Afraid I can't help with electrics but having played with several indicator units they're fairly robust and I would think unlikely to be at fault.

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:41

Cheers for the quick reply, that's good to hear cause would rather it's a relay or grounding issue than sourcing a new wiper stalk and taking off and on the wheel smile

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 20:41

Any other help appreciated!

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 21:23

Originally Posted by aaronmac
Cheers for the quick reply, that's good to hear cause would rather it's a relay or grounding issue than sourcing a new wiper stalk and taking off and on the wheel smile

It's actually not difficult, but the howto is quite amusing laugh

Replacement used stalk sets are readily available - in fact I have 3 biglaugh

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 30/09/2019 21:39

Ha, yeah I had a quick look at the how there earlier, it's that spring unfurling that got me smile

What would be the best way of narrowing down if it is in fact the stalk, other than a refit?

Power across the fuse not being there? And why wouldn't the dipped light be illuminating?!

I thought the coops weird electrics where behind me with the turbo fog light having to be completely re wired!

Also is there a relay which could be at fault?

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 01/10/2019 14:08

Turned out to be a sticking relay..... Relay no. 13 for anyone with similar problems in the future... Thanks for the input...

Re: Parking lights & dash/speedo lighting not working - 01/10/2019 17:30

Well persevered!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK