Fiat Coupe Club UK

Key stuck in lock

Posted By: Alan_K

Key stuck in lock - 06/10/2019 06:39

Have somehow managed to get my key stuck in drivers door lock as I turned up for my nightshift
In the lock position it isn’t turning back to allow me to take it back out

Luckily I have the bad habit of carry both my keys with me so was able to open passenger door and clamber over to Drive home
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Key stuck in lock - 06/10/2019 08:46

My boot lock became jammed so I put some 3 in 1 on the key, slid it in and out of the lock, gave it a wiggle and now it's perfect again.

You could try spraying some lubricant in there and giving the key a wiggle.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Key stuck in lock - 06/10/2019 08:58

Odd....a long shot, but if the internals of the lock barrel have become well crudded up perhaps one or two of the sliders have failed to return and are jamming the lock. Do you still have the the little hinged protector flap in place?

If you haven't already, get some WD40 in there, not that it will be easy with the key in the way. If you free it off next job would be to whip out the whole barrel (there's a howto) and clean/check it over

Re: Key stuck in lock - 07/10/2019 22:38

Any joy Alan?

Re: Key stuck in lock - 09/10/2019 15:22

No joy yet
Not that I’ve put much effort into fixing it
As been busy moving people

The little flap is still in place

I’ve Tried the door handle from inside and the unlock button from inside and neither helping the situation
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Key stuck in lock - 09/10/2019 15:29

Could the internals of the receiver at the end of the key have twisted - making it feel like the keys is stuck in- when actually the plastic head isn't turning it back again to release?

You could see if the key is still at an angle in the lock?

Other then that not sure what more could be holding it back.

MM

Re: Key stuck in lock - 15/10/2019 18:57

Key is out the lock and I no longer need to climb in from passenger seat thankfully 🙈

Took it to my mechanic
Who basically just sprayed the lock then
Clamped onto the key and turned

Why didn’t I think of that lol

I’m just going to lock and unlock from passenger side for time being until I have time to take lock apart
And give it a good clean as think that’s all it needs as a load of gunk followed out the lock when key came out

Re: Key stuck in lock - 15/10/2019 23:12

Originally Posted by Alan_K
until I have time to take lock apart
And give it a good clean as think that’s all it needs as a load of gunk followed out the lock when key came out

This.

Good result!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK