Fiat Coupe Club UK

Front shock absorber leaking

Posted By: Anonymous

Front shock absorber leaking - 21/10/2019 18:37

Apologies for asking for more advice!

I’m on my way back to the UK after driving to Southern Spain. I’ve so far had a coolant hose go (see other thread!) now repaired and 800km on smile

Today when stopping for a break we noticed oil under the car. On closer inspection toon it appears the right hand front shock absorber is leaking. We did hit a pot hole earlier frown.

I’ve driven approx 100km since, on the mway, at approx 65 mph and all seems ok.

This is a bit long winded! However, what my questions are -

A. Is it safe enough to continue to drive (carefully)

B. Is it generally a fairly easy replacement so that I’m not stuck in France if I take it to a garage tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 03:30

It's not recommended you do this Merlin, according to experts/mechanics. In saying that I've had a leaking strut on my Coop & drove about for some time unaware of this & had no problems some years ago.

It's also recommended you replace in pairs.

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 07:06

Thanks for your advice jim boy, smile

Unless handling becomes poor I think we are going to try to get back to UK and find somewhere in Folkestone area as we are going on the tunnel and my brother lives there.

I’ve got breakdown cover but not sure if it gets you home or to nearest garage.

Problem is I’m already 3 days behind due to hose problems in Spain so trying to rearrange work. My worry is that if there are any problems with repair I will be stuck in France. At least in UK I can train it home and leave the car.
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 07:15

You should be ok as the roads in France are excellent and free from heavy traffic. A steady speed on the motorways should work.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 07:25

Unless you can make it as far as Midland Car Services in East Midlands - seeing you are that side of the country if you are heading toward Sheffield...
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 12:22

Originally Posted by french_coupe
You should be ok as the roads in France are excellent and free from heavy traffic. A steady speed on the motorways should work.

Lol yep and everyone obeys the speed limit....:-)

Like it.

MM

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 22/10/2019 19:43

Thanks for replies smile

Tonight we are stopping near Rouen. The coop was fine. The weather leaving St Flour was poor so I drove quite slowly but as the terrain became flatter and drier we could pick up more speed.

The drive is a bit bumpier than normal but acceptable.

I tried to book in to a very helpful Marchwood garage in Folkestone who were happy to do the work either Wed or Thu but couldn’t get the parts in time.

I will return to Sheffield and contemplate the next move.

I will check out Midland Car Services

Thanks

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 23/10/2019 21:13

Hurrah back in the UK. I love my Coupe smile
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 24/10/2019 10:21

Glad you made it back to blighty safe and sound.

Yes the Coupe is often much disregarded for Italian temperament and unreliability. But I've found that they will usually plod on stoically with all manner of issues - and mine has proved to be more reliable then a VW!

Of course - next up is now replacing the items on your coup that have let you down- and hopefully she will be 100% again!

Regards

MM

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 24/10/2019 17:02

Thanks smile

I’ve got as far as Oxfordshire to visit my pa. M25 bit nerve wracking today with possibly dodgy shocks so switched to A roads.

Brake/clutch fluid needing topping up so not sure if leak on brakes or new clutch?

I reckon it’s time to get the cheque book out! frown

However, it’s done over 3,000 miles in the past few weeks smile
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Front shock absorber leaking - 24/10/2019 17:35

Originally Posted by Merlin_Cat

I reckon it’s time to get the cheque book out! frown

However, it’s done over 3,000 miles in the past few weeks smile

Yep, as above...remember to do both sides smile

© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK