Fiat Coupe Club UK

Car cranks but won't start

Posted By: t0m0

Car cranks but won't start - 10/11/2019 20:47

Hi all, I don't post on here much but do drop in a read every week and having had some spare time this weekend decided to look at the coop that's been sat for a few years sorn. I fired her up 3 or 4 months ago and she was fine although the clutch took a few pumps to get pressure and the engine was a bit tappy at first however this weekend she just wouldn't fire after cranking☹️.

Three cans of fresh petrol and I clicked and unclicked the fuel cut off. The code light goes out after the light up sequence so I'm sure it's not this.

The fuel guage says that there is no petrol in the tank and the low fuel light is on and I can not here the pump priming..... does this point to a blocked or dead fuel pump? ....last time I fired her up and drove her back and forward and let her idle then rev for ages and she was already low on fuel.....I know🙄.

Any advice most welcome, Tom.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 11/11/2019 09:27

Can you here the relay click to prime the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on, you should hear a click/click from the passenger foot well?

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 12/11/2019 22:08

Thanks Joe, will listen the weekend. Where is it located if I need to check it's in tight or needs replacing?

Tom.

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 27/11/2019 22:13

Hi all,

Ok found the 2 relays one black one red tonight when I had 5 mins. Both fuses look ok.

What are the relays related to? I assume one is fuel pump).

I turned ignition on and there is a click,click from that area especially as they hanging after fuse check. I did not try to crank as it 9.30 at night but will the weekend...if she starts I like to run to temp.

When the ignition is on the fuel guage stays at the bottom despite £15 of petrol. And low warning light is on is this normal or should it raise to a level?

I suspect blocked fuel pump as I can't hear priming although I might hook up pump to a direct feed spare battery.

Any advice welcome,

Tom.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 28/11/2019 11:15

If you can't hear the pump priming but the relay is clicking it's either the yellow connector of death or the pump has failed so try the direct feed and report back thumb
Posted By: rrosscoe

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 26/01/2020 17:54

Hi T0m0
did you get it sorted, have much same problem as you, had a duff pump relay (16v t) now changed and if directly jumped pump would run but if connected to wiring will not, a slave pump will run in car wiring though so looks like my pump is requiring a lot of amps so could be on way out. having another go tomorrow.
rrosscoe

Re: Car cranks but won't start - 30/01/2020 21:30

Not looked yet but will report back soon, I ran the car very low on petrol and in my mind 2 and 2 = 4. My other car is a GTV and girl friend ran that low on fuel while driving when pregnant(baby brain) and it blocked pump. Car had fuel going to engine but not enough pressure. Garage it got towed too tried everything... I had enough and bought new pump and hey presto it worked straight away and the car was a lot smoother too.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK