Fiat Coupe Club UK

Flood killed my coupe!

Posted By: Serg1

Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 12:36

Few weeks ago we had heavy rain which resulted in localised flooding unfortunately my coupe was submerged up to the windows in flood water for 3 days. After the water retreated I left the car to dry out which it now has. Put new battery in and it wouldn't even turn over, completely dead. No power anywhere. Both clutch and brake pedals on the floor, gear stick locked solid. Under the bonnet it's a mess everywhere caked in mud, leaves and crap! At this stage I feel it's beyond saving. I've covered it up so I don't have to see it in such a sorry state. Sad day.
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 13:36

I really feel for you. Sorry to hear that it’s in such a bad state. Very sad indeed.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 14:29

Dreadful news frown

Would a systematic cleanse narrow down the non-start problem? Hoses/air filter might be full of water?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 14:51

Three days submerged up to the windows would have done a massive amount of damage, water would have got in everywhere including the engine, all electrics and probably the gearbox, if you're insured the best route would be to claim as this would need a full strip down//rebuild to put this back on the road as a reliable Coupé, very sad news frown
Posted By: dicksog

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 14:52

Ok I did something stupid several years ago, drove under a flooded railway bridge in my other car, it stopped in the middle. This is what I did next for the mechanical side only.

DON’T try and start the car. Clear out all the obvious crap. Check your air filter (replace) and the rest of the air intake pathway. Drop your oil and replace with fresh (cheap fully synth from ASDA it’s so cheap it’s worth it) just in case water got through to a cylinder with an open valve. Take out spark plugs, then and only then try cranking the engine. I had a lot of liquid come out, much more than just fuel. Listen for rough running you shouldn’t have any as the engine wasn’t running when it went under. If ok run up to temp then check the dipstick for a light brown coffee colour in the engine oil, you’ve got some water in there, repeat oil change with filter this time. Then take it out for a spin, gently, check oil after and if necessary repeat oil/filter change. Eventually go for decent oil.

As for electrics, go to motor factors and buy 5l of wd40 apply liberally. Unless anyone else has better ideas. Oh check battery is charged if it got submerged chances are it shorted out and will have 0v, if using a smart charger you can get round the minimum voltage thing by connecting any other charged battery in parallel ie min to min, plus to plus. Ah forgot the used new battery bit.

Not sure if this is much help in your situation apart from the wd40 bit!

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 14:54

Not only the hoeses and air filter but inside every panel that holds water.

My concern water and mud might of got into the engine.

There would be such a long list of work required to put it right it might not be worth the time and money.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 16:35

The ECU and all other electrical components will have been flooded, likely causing damage, and if flooded up to the bottom of the windows then water will likely have entered the inlet piping. It could be a never ending task to try and get it going again. As sad as it is, I would move on, claim on insurance if it covers flood damage, and look for another car.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 17:32

Which one was this John? Gutted for you.

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 18:03

Only good news it wasn't the plus, if it had I would of been in a far worse place right now. Plus is tucked in the garage for the winter.

I've been working on my Sprinty over the summer to get it into the same condition as the plus and only finished it 2 weeks before this happened.
Posted By: respace

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 29/11/2019 18:10

I went through some flood water a couple of years ago in the GTV, a four wheel drive came the other way causing a bow wave which flooded the engine, the insurance company wouldn't allow me to buy it back and rebuild it for fear of further damage in the future. Horrible as it is it's best to claim and move on.
Posted By: 1st_things_1st

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 30/11/2019 20:50

Really sorry to hear this. Meeting you at Brands Hatch, I could see how well you keep your cars.

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 03/12/2019 12:25

Now faced with reality and use a word I thought I would never use in relationship to a coupe but "break". Sad place to be after my sprinty has been in my ownership for 12 years. Over that time it has been totally spoilt when it came to repair work even replacing items which didn't need replacing. Any spot of rust would be treated as soon as it appeared and painted.

Over the years I've been asked if I would sell, but when it came to exchanging money and signing on the dotted line I couldn't do it.

My local MOT garage will be shocked, each year the tester would say this car is like new, then joke by saying do I plan to ever drive it.

Now time to draw a line under my sprinty and move on. I could buy another coupe to keep my yellow plus company or buy something different or not so different. Today I paid deposit on a car which has the same driving frill, big smile factor plus old school driving experience all this from a new car. I'll start another thread and explain my new toy and why.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 03/12/2019 13:20

That is horrendous news, I'm seldom short for things to say, but nothing will make you feel better no matter what. Can only wish you all the best for the future.

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 03/12/2019 13:47

Thank you jimboy.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Flood killed my coupe! - 05/12/2019 16:09

Very sad news,

Grab your current prospective winning MP by the collar and get him/her/it to confirm they will be supporting you and your hard hit neighbours to ensure you get the compensation and support you need following such an event.

I'd feel beyond upset if a car looked after well had this happen.

I guess the positive is that no-one was injured in the event.

Best wishes,

MM
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK