Fiat Coupe Club UK

Front suspension collapse

Posted By: LeKiffre

Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 10:05

Morning all,

Jumped in the car to go out this morning, started to reverse down the drive and immediately heard stupidly harsh grinding noise coming from the l/h side front. On inspection, looks like the front suspension has collapsed, i.e. spring pushing in on the wheel and tyre. Drove it last night and seemed perfectly fine. Does anyone have any idea of the (common?) cause?

Ideally, I’d like to get at it and sort it myself but the problem is the car is tight in against a wall and can't really get at it.

Thanks.
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 10:53

I’ve had a coupe spring snap before. I was walking towards the car and heard a bang. Thought nothing of it and when I had the car inspected a few weeks ago found the spring was in 2, luckily it was near the top and it remained seat in the top mount

You’d do best to Jack the car up and have a look at the spring in question. Not a big job to replace it
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 11:32

Yep, had this on mine recently. I was advised to replace the top mount as well in case it was damaged.

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 12:12

Thanks very much guys.

With it in against a wall it's going to be pain to jack up that side. I'll take a look when it stops raining!

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 13:29

Yep, it's the spring.

Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_20191222_130604406.jpg

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 13:32

I think it's advisable to change both sides.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 13:45

Yes, agreed. Over the years in our household we've had springs break on several cars (Volvo V40, Peugeot 306, VW Eos) and it's sadly a common thing due to the effects of corrosion and speed bumps frown

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 14:06

Ouch

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 15:30

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
I think it's advisable to change both sides.

Thanks Edinburgh, that's my plan. Makes sense as the driver's side one is (I'm assuming) the same age and therefore may be as 'equally delicate', plus the new one will be possibly stronger/stiffer due to being new and I guess better to put 'matching' springs on.

Originally Posted by DaveG
Yes, agreed. Over the years in our household we've had springs break on several cars (Volvo V40, Peugeot 306, VW Eos) and it's sadly a common thing due to the effects of corrosion and speed bumps frown

Yep, you've just reminded me that I went over a bunch of speedbumps on Friday whilst in Cheltenham. I'm wondering if that was the cause. Thankfully it went this morning on the driveway rather than on the way back down in M5.

Originally Posted by adam16vt
Ouch

Yes Adam!

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 15:31

Not sure if now I'm changing springs to lower or not. Wouldn't go too far though 25mm or so, 30 mm max.

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 15:34

If you do lower it don’t fit apex springs. Worst ride ever!

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 16:11

Ok, Adam. thanks for that.

Having been reading around the forum today, I was wondering about the 35mm's that Joe supplies on the group buys. That may not be feasible though.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 16:45

Not available either, I don't think

Re: Front suspension collapse - 22/12/2019 19:30

Originally Posted by LeKiffre
Not sure if now I'm changing springs to lower or not. Wouldn't go too far though 25mm or so, 30 mm max.

You could try Eibachs - IIRC I got my whole set of 30mm lowering springs after the breakage for around £230 incl p&p.
from DC Performance

Re: Front suspension collapse - 24/12/2019 08:29

Thanks for the tip Edinburgh.

I was in a rush to get it fixed as the coop was my only car on the road. Just taxed my TF so I have something to get around in. And it gives me more to to decide which way to go.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Front suspension collapse - 24/12/2019 09:09

OE spec for me, the Coupe has nigh on the crashiest ride of any car I have driven (save for the GTV) exacerbating that on the UK moon surface would not be a consideration.
Posted By: wink

Re: Front suspension collapse - 02/01/2020 10:58

I got new OE spec springs and dampers from John Cartlidge at Midland Car Servicing.
Posted By: njm

Re: Front suspension collapse - 04/01/2020 02:19

I had a snapped front spring - nothing stock available, I'm told, so went for Eibachs and TRWs all round. 20mm drop, looks rather nice

Re: Front suspension collapse - 05/01/2020 20:38

Originally Posted by Submariner
OE spec for me, the Coupe has nigh on the crashiest ride of any car I have driven (save for the GTV) exacerbating that on the UK moon surface would not be a consideration.

I was considering Eibachs and Monroe struts but now thinking about stock springs. Thinking the same as you Submariner, have been driving a TF for about 18 months, sticks like glue but the roads around here have taken most of the pleasure out of driving it so don’t want the coop to be the same.

Originally Posted by wink
I got new OE spec springs and dampers from John Cartlidge at Midland Car Servicing.

Thanks Wink. I was looking at AA but someone else to consider, I’ll perhaps give them a call too.

Originally Posted by njm
I had a snapped front spring - nothing stock available, I'm told, so went for Eibachs and TRWs all round. 20mm drop, looks rather nice

Has it changed the ride much njm?
Posted By: njm

Re: Front suspension collapse - 06/01/2020 11:38

If anything it rides a little better than before. Still a bit crashy, but that seems to be the norm...

Re: Front suspension collapse - 06/01/2020 21:06

Ok cheers. Something for me to think about.
Posted By: Punto16VT

Re: Front suspension collapse - 14/01/2020 22:27

I have FCSS lowering springs all round, their rate(s) seems to help with the crashiness.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK