Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bulkhead sound deadening

Posted By: Trappy

Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 11:04

I'm in the process of pulling my interior out in preparation for a roll cage install. Before it can go in though, it need's an MOT so I'm running bare minimum interior. This means the dash has to stay in.

I've removed all carpets and foam backed sound deadening save for one final piece - the stuff that sits behind the pedals against the bulkhead. I can't see a way of removing this and I'm now wondering if the dash has to come out to get to where it's fitted. Does anyone know?
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 11:55

How about just cutting off what you can get to? Being careful of wiring etc.

Would the tiny amount of extra weight loss be worth the hassle of taking our all the dash?

Then again- hats off for going full RS spec in the search for weight loss!

Regards

MM
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 11:57

I just took my Plus for an MOT with the centre console removed, with the switches (eg: fog lights) laying in a heap of wiring where the central vents were, and it passed OK. To prepare for some repair work I have stripped out the carpet, but I did replace the seats and seat belts. However, the MOT guy said there only needs to be seat belts for seats that are fitted, so you could just keep only the driver' seat and seat belt. I guess you could remove the dash if you could find a way to fix the instrument panel, but the absence of a passenger airbag might cause the fault light to come on leading to a fail?

As for the bulkhead sound deadening, why do you need/want to remove that? It can't weigh very much? You could just cut out the parts you can reach...
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 12:41

Originally Posted by DaveG
I just took my Plus for an MOT with the centre console removed, with the switches (eg: fog lights) laying in a heap of wiring where the central vents were, and it passed OK. To prepare for some repair work I have stripped out the carpet, but I did replace the seats and seat belts. However, the MOT guy said there only needs to be seat belts for seats that are fitted, so you could just keep only the driver' seat and seat belt. I guess you could remove the dash if you could find a way to fix the instrument panel, but the absence of a passenger airbag might cause the fault light to come on leading to a fail?

I've just put the centre console in place and fitted the fan speed dial to hold it in place. I'll leave the dash in for now. Just one seat and seat belt is fitted too.

Originally Posted by DaveG

As for the bulkhead sound deadening, why do you need/want to remove that? It can't weigh very much? You could just cut out the parts you can reach...

I intend to remove all sound deadening and replace it with as little new stuff as I can get away with. A significant amount of the original bitumen stuff has broken up already and I've read that it loses it's effectiveness over time anyway. I've binned all of the foam backed stuff that's come out to date. The section that goes under the front foot well was crumbled to bits and mostly rotten. The piece behind the pedals is also damp and nasty. To put it bluntly, it stinks, and contributes to the 'old car smell'. All fabrics are coming out and behind sorted. Headliner was out last night as it was mouldy so I'll be re-covering that too.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 13:26

I removed the bitumen/felt stuff in the rear footwells and it has since fallen apart a bit but I do intend to replace it with some rather thinner sound deadening tiles. Fair enough wanting to remove the stinky bulkhead stuff, but you could always get a "new car smell" air freshener? wink
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: Bulkhead sound deadening - 06/01/2020 23:11

I've removed my interior and have two front bucket seats as for the part under the dash I used a Stanley knife to trim that area .
Roll cage makes a big difference too with other mods .
Was thinking of removing the dash and having a connecting bar welded and attaching the binical to it .
Must of lost 60kg so far .
Just need to learn it's handling characteristics again on track
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK