Fiat Coupe Club UK

16V NA and some rust

Posted By: slicer

16V NA and some rust - 02/10/2016 23:25

Some 4 months after deciding to put the car forward for for some paint, I decided to strip away some of the trim to reduce the paint shop bill.
My heart sank as I removed the offside rear wheel arch liner.
The underseal was loose and bubbly and after a little picking .....
click to enlarge

I removed the boot mat and all looked ok from inside the boot but when I poked the rubbery sealant on the inside floor to wheelarch joint it was "crunchy". I picked this away and saw more of the unwanted rust.

click to enlarge

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 02/10/2016 23:31

Today, I got brave and cut away the rust,
click to enlarge

and welded in a patch.

click to enlarge

It was a nightmare to weld and isn't the prettiest weld job I've ever done but its solid.

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 02/10/2016 23:39

And from the inside,
click to enlarge

Now, can anyone tell me the name of the sealer used on the panel joints?

And also, what is the purpose of the bituchem tape used on some parts of the wheelarch? Mine burnt away with the welding.

Thanks!
Posted By: Hoops82

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 03/10/2016 00:06

I think it's just sound deadening material they stick in place to protect the arch and dampen road shingle noise.

Mine had rusted in the same places but nowhere else on the car. I welded this same patch a few years ago.
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 06/10/2016 11:44

Hey slicer-

That's a terrific job!

Good effort- it didn't look like it had gotten too far before you tackled it- better than most examples I would say.

The adhesive fabric tape in the boot is indeed resonance deadening as Hoops says.

The sealer on the panel joints I don't know- but I can tell you that it is largely redundant due to the efforts you've just made. With the right pre-paint treatment- you'll never have to worry about that again..!

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 09/10/2016 13:06

So, I am going to use Tiger Seal to bead over the weld and give it a smooth appearance. It stays flexible and can be painted over, so the rest of the car is getting its paint, so to will the boot interior.
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 09/10/2016 14:22

Tiger seal is good stuff. I've used it plenty of times for seams and bonding side skirts on.

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 09/10/2016 17:17

Yeah, its 2 birds with the 1 stone. I will also be adding side skirts and bumper lips. smile

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 10/10/2016 09:47

I've got Tiger Seal in use on bonding three-piece split rim wheels!

So there is nothing it cannot do!

I was going to suggest that, but it seemed a bit hardcore- and I don't work in the body shop industry...

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 11/10/2016 23:32

Arghhhh.
Found this little pearl hiding under the rear seat!
click to enlarge

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 12/10/2016 03:14

At least you found it.

Might be small enough to Tiger-seal up..?

Any access at all from underneath..?

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 12/10/2016 23:44

And now with patch in place.
click to enlarge
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 13/10/2016 07:59

Funny, isn't it - there you are with a hole nicely positioned between two other holes, and you only have to patch one of the three!

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 13/10/2016 10:50

Good effort slicer

Terrific work...

Re: 16V NA and some rust - 02/09/2019 21:40

Just copped on to the fact that I never updated this thread.
Well the car went to the paint shop shortly after the last post and what was expected to be a "few months" developed into a full year before I got it back. Between the painter moving shop, due to neighbor troubles and with life just getting in the way of my hobby, I was under no pressure and that suited him too.
It then took another full year to rebuild the car back to full health.
I have no rush, just tipping away at weekends and very enjoyable it was too.
Everything mechanical was inspected and in most cases replaced for new (excluding engine)

It got lowered, de-badged and fitted with skirts and lips.
Aftermarket alloys were refurbished and it hit the road in October 2018. Its nearly a full year now and "touch wood" no issues to report.

Anyway, here a few images to enjoy, ., . ,.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK