Fiat Coupe Club UK

Center console repair

Posted By: Andrewseamaster

Center console repair - 04/07/2018 09:39

I stripped and painted with plastic kote buy it was very poor at sticking so I have removed it again. Has anyone got a fool proof solution?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Center console repair - 04/07/2018 10:00

I found the Halford's matt black spray effective. Been on three or four years so far.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Center console repair - 04/07/2018 12:19

I used Halfords Vinyl Spray which worked great.
clicky clicky

Although wished I had sprayed it body colour now
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Center console repair - 04/07/2018 12:44

I removed the sticky layer with Aldi/Lidl nail polish remover and sprayed with a Baufix Car line rattle can from Lidl in matt black. 4 thin coats thin coats and it looks like a factory finish. It was relatively easy and I'm no expert at spraying.

Last weekend, I used Plastikote on some acryl-coated IKEA kitchen doors that our last renters had damaged and, after a little sanding, it stuck well. Two problems though - one we let dust blow into the room frown Our fault, but we did not have a good place to work. The other was that it needs to be sprayed very, very evenly to not show a slightly textured finish but can be sprayed comparatively thickly to avoid this. Need good light to see exactly what you are doing.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Center console repair - 04/07/2018 13:02

Owners have done several finishes & it's all down to what your preferences are.

I removed the original sticky stuff with turps & acetone. More or less nail polish remover. Rub down with fine wire wool, two coats of plastic primer, rubbing between coats several coats of gloss black rubbing down between coats. Now, I was going to finish off with gloss clear coat, but no matter how I tried...orange peel... frown In the end I rubbed it down with water & very fine wet & dry, then I polished the hell out of it... cool

I was very pleased with my results. I did this over a period of several days. Easy, although time consuming. best of luck whatever finish to choose.
Posted By: MIB

Re: Center console repair - 05/07/2018 18:58

I very carefull scraped the old sticky rubber off with a filling knife. When the bulk of it was off I used a cloth and meths to remove what was left. Mine was white underneath the black and I applied a whole spray can of Frost Liquid Wrap BLACK Rubber Coating Dip Aerosol in a few heavy coats to get a flat finish. I think it's about as stock as you can get. That was just over a year ago and it still looks good. It will scratch though, just like the original so keep the finger nails short smile
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Center console repair - 05/07/2018 19:35

I rubbed off all the sticky with nail varnish and then sanded with fine wet and dry to leave a smooth Matt 'naked' plastic look....no paint so hopefully it'll just stay as is. A quick buff now and again keeps it 'mat'. Horses for courses, some do it body coloured.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Center console repair - 07/07/2018 06:26

In June 2010, I cleaned mine off with metho on a rag and then painted it with VHT Trim and Bumper polyurethane in satin black. Removed, cleaned, painted and refitted in the same day.

Still looks good 8 years later.
Posted By: Joe78

Re: Center console repair - 08/07/2018 06:36

Originally Posted By barnacle
I found the Halford's matt black spray effective. Been on three or four years so far.

I’ve used the same, looks like a factory finish and lasts really well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Center console repair - 27/03/2019 11:16

I used oven cleaner en rub down with newspaper and water and a sponge with a hard layer and than finished with liquid filler and than a black paint.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Center console repair - 27/03/2019 13:17

Oven cleaner definitely sounds like its becoming a popular solution to use.
Posted By: mrc

Re: Center console repair - 27/03/2019 21:20

I have found a trick with plastic dip rubber paint. If you warm it up (a bucket of hot water) it flows a lot better. I just warmed it up in the bucket between coats and the finish was near perfect and smooth like the original finish.
Posted By: Skiday

Re: Center console repair - 25/06/2019 21:43

when you say 'Plastic Kote' do you mean 'PlastiKote' or 'Plasti Dip' by Performix (different products)? I've used 'Plasti Dip' on the Ferrari (same problem) without superb results, but I noticed that they do a specific primer which they claim increases adhesion by up to 400%. To get the old rubber coating off I used 'Goo Gone' - this is the best especially if you want to leave the plastic raw as I did with the vents (which is not a Coupe problem), otherwise you can use isopropanol.

https://www.plastidip.co.uk/product/primer-aerosol-can
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK