Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sunroof

Posted By: adam16vt

Sunroof - 18/12/2018 15:27

So I’ve got a sunroof as a spare part as you never know when you’ll need these things

I’ve pulled the seal and although there is a little rust on the frame it’s all solid.

I’m planning on splitting the frame and the glass and getting the frame powder coated, having searched on the forum it appears a bit of heat and persuasion they will split easily but what do I glue them back together with? Tiger seal or something similar?

Thanks
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 12:15

I am in the same boat - hopefully I will make the next east meet-up.

In the mean-time this was the last conversation re the sunroof I recall.

And it put me off - about future proofing. I'm treading water on best way forward.

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbt...rue#Post1622419

Regards

MM

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 13:30

I’d seen that

I’m not too worried about trying to split it just unsure how to rebond it

That said maybe I’m overthinking, it’s solid really so could just paint it with some hammerite and leave it well alone!

Adam
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 14:43

If it's not broken, why fix it chinny

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 15:40

Prevention!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 15:42

Yes I'm all thumbs up for prevention, splitting the glass from the frame is maybe more then needed as you've said above.

Re: Sunroof - 19/12/2018 16:30

You might be right

It can't rust any further down as the glass prevents the water going any further so will sand down as much as I can and hammerite

Thanks all smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sunroof - 21/12/2018 15:56

Removing the glass from the frame is a must...it rots under the glue...I reckon about 45% of the frame was no longer bonded to the glass. Glue was still stuck to the glass lol.

Plumbers torch on the frame and it came away easy.

I used standard windscreen adhesive to rebond. Solid as a rock.

Cheers.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK