Fiat Coupe Club UK

Radiator fan resistor

Posted By: Scuderia

Radiator fan resistor - 25/02/2019 12:07

The slow speed fan is not functioning on my 16v turbo, it hasn't worked for years. The terminals to the resistor are burnt, its had a poor connection there in the past but I don't believe that's the problem. I cant start the engine to test the switch but I suspect it's the fan resistor anyway.

The unit has a large coil, it has no resistance, what is the purpose of the coil? It also has what I assume is a small resistor underneath. Should this have resistance? I have continuity on all parts of the resistor unit except that little resistor itself is open loop. I assume this is a definitive test that it has failed, can anyone confirm?

This part seems impossible to get but 20v turbo resistor is available. It appears to be the same except for the terminals which should be easy to rewire. will it fit the radiator shroud?

Thanks

Posted By: barnacle

Re: Radiator fan resistor - 25/02/2019 19:47

The little black thing is a thermal fuse. Too hot and pop it goes...

The coil doesn't have a lot of resistance - on the Bravo I replaced the radiator fan resistor with an 0.47ohm 50W power resistor. Most multimeters can't measure that low if you're not greatly familiar with them.

That resistor you found should do the trick, just make sure it's mounted in the fan airflow so it's properly cooled.

Re: Radiator fan resistor - 26/02/2019 06:51

Thanks barnacle

The coil has around 0.5 to 1.0 ohms so much the same. Are you saying if I replace the fuse it will work? I'm OK with a soldering iron, do you know the fuse details, can I buy one?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Radiator fan resistor - 26/02/2019 11:18

I don't know the details; they're specific for current and temperature so while they're available you can't just stick one in; you need the right flavour. Unless it's got a manufacturer and part number, it'd be suck it and see.

You have to wonder why they bothered with a thermal cutout on a part which is supposed to keep things cool. If it fails, as yours has, then you lose the half speed fan but you also *any* fan until it gets hot enough for full speed. Odd design choice.

Re: Radiator fan resistor - 07/04/2019 09:49

Well, the 16V turbo part seems very hard to find. I took a punt on a 20v turbo item and it fits and works fine with a minor rewire.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK