Fiat Coupe Club UK

Time interval on a cambelt?

Posted By: respace

Time interval on a cambelt? - 14/03/2019 14:39

Long long should a cambelt go without replacing? I know it's about 60k miles but how many years? I have one go on a VW after 40k but as it was over 4yrs it wasn't covered under the warranty.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 14/03/2019 16:07

Most on here will say 5 years max' regardless of mileage. I've had mine changed twice now at 4 year intervals, but that was my Coop paranoia. Cheaper than a engine rebuild as they say. driving
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 14/03/2019 17:04

On a 20 it's more likely to be the aux belts than the cambelt. Change them every couple of years, and the cambelt every four or five.

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 14/03/2019 17:08

Thanks both, having looked through the paperwork it was changed 8k miles ago but that was 8yrs ago!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 14/03/2019 19:44

6 years or 72K miles has always been the official cambelt change interval for a 20vt and I don't see any reason to argue with that.

Personally I left mine for 10 years but it had only done about 30K miles.

Keep an eye on aux belts condition though, as said above they are much more likely to fail and can then get pulled into the cambelt.
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 15/03/2019 21:38

If paranoid about aux belt exploding into the cam belt then one of Joe’s cam belt ‘covers’ is a must. Had one fitted recently while drive shaft seals and boots were being done. Quality bit of kit!!...bit of a plug but made sense!!

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 15/03/2019 21:51

I think i should start a how long does it take coop paranoia to set in thread? Collected car yesterday morning, looks brilliant good record, belts changed 8k ago= 8yrs ago, why does it look so good? = respray, Aha, that's a good thing? right? but what does it cover up? Magnitude of ills? No because it was worth it? Begining to sound like Gollum in Lord of The Rings!
Posted By: paulmakin

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 16/03/2019 19:56

when i checked the service records on mine i discovered that the last documented belt service had been 14 years previously. it had only done a tiny mileage in those 14 years but the history looks as if it can be relied on.

needless to say, it was attended to urgently but a worrying couple of days before it could be changed !

paul
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 19/03/2019 15:59

Originally Posted by respace
I think i should start a how long does it take coop paranoia to set in thread? Collected car yesterday morning, looks brilliant good record, belts changed 8k ago= 8yrs ago, why does it look so good? = respray, Aha, that's a good thing? right? but what does it cover up? Magnitude of ills? No because it was worth it? Begining to sound like Gollum in Lord of The Rings!

About now is just about the right time for the paranoia to set in. Have you checked your oil level today? :-)

Regards

MM

Re: Time interval on a cambelt? - 21/03/2019 14:59

Oil checked lovely and clean, nevertheless booked in for all belts to be changed and a good check over. Incidentally found the Somerton garage, LB Autos, on another Fiat forum, Lui the owner ran a coop himself and is a fountain of knowledge.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK