Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wishbone balljoint

Posted By: Yann

Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 09:12

Hi,

The car (16v Turbo) didn't pass the MOT this morning. The rubbet on the wishbone balljoint has been damaged for years now and it doesn't seem to pass anymore.
Is it possible to remplace only this part, or do I need to replace the wishbone (and if I replace one I will need to replace both I presume) ?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 09:50

Hi Yann, in theory you could just replace the rubber, but as you mentioned years of a split rubber will have caused damage to the ball joint, & yes replace in pairs.

You have basically answered your own question which I suspect you kind of knew.... smile

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 10:27

I wasn't talking about the rubber, but the balljoint in its integrity. If it can be ordered and fitted alone, I will only replace the defective one.

If the only way to replace the balljoint is to replace the whole wishbone, in that case I will replace both because of the wear indeed.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 11:28

You'll have to replace the whole wishbone Yann. I have never seen the ball joint available on its own.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 12:36

I have an idea Joe came up with a source for the balljoint, though it would require careful drilling of three rivets and replacing with high-strength bolts and locknuts.

But if the balljoint rubber has perished, you have to ask what condition the other suspension rubber is in.

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 13:00

Originally Posted by PeteP
You'll have to replace the whole wishbone Yann. I have never seen the ball joint available on its own.

This is what I didn't want to hear.
Originally Posted by barnacle
I have an idea Joe came up with a source for the balljoint, though it would require careful drilling of three rivets and replacing with high-strength bolts and locknuts.

But if the balljoint rubber has perished, you have to ask what condition the other suspension rubber is in.

I checked the other side when I changed the struts few days ago, it is in good condition. The damaged one is cut in the middle, the grease is still present in it.
Well, now I know what to do. I also have to replace a CV boot (I damaged one when changing the struts), are universal ones OK to use ? (you can fit them with a cone, without disassembling everything)

The car also has a leak somewhere on the gearbox since refilling 3 years ago, one on the back of the engine, and the CO emissions a bit high.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 05/04/2019 14:07

Although I have also never seen replacement ball joints for the Coupe, that did used to be the way on older Fiats, with even the rubber boot being replaceable separately. But interestingly enough, the rubber bushes and housings at the other end of the lower suspension arms are replaceable, but I'm not sure whether anybody ever does that (in my experience the ball joint gets more wear and tear) clicky

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 17/05/2019 16:50

Another question :

When replacing the wishbone, is it really necessary to disconnect the track rod end ?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 17/05/2019 20:52

Originally Posted by barnacle

Yes and it wasn't worth the labour so far easier and cheaper to fit a whole new arm.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 17/05/2019 20:52

Originally Posted by Yann
Another question :

When replacing the wishbone, is it really necessary to disconnect the track rod end ?

No the TRE can stay connected to the hub when changing the arms.

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 18/05/2019 07:28

Thanks Joe.

I will try to work on that once I get the car back from the garage.

Re: Wishbone balljoint - 23/05/2019 13:20

Both wishbones replaced yesterday, easier than I thought.
Indeed the track rod end doesn't need to be disconnected, but I disconnected the shock absorbers.

I lost a lot of time when refitting the first wishbone, as I couldn't get the last screw to fit, the holes were misaligned. The how to's are correct on this one, the 4 screws first then the rest...
And it seems I have damaged an ARB droplink (that I replaced a few weeks ago...), the nut now turns freely.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK