Fiat Coupe Club UK

Checking oil level hot vs cold

Posted By: Clintos

Checking oil level hot vs cold - 26/04/2019 12:43

Has anyone done a comparison on oil levels from cold to hot?

What I mean is lets say the oil level is at the max mark when hot, then it should drop when cold right?

Im wanting to see how much oil I have in the coupe. After checking it cold, it sits right on the max mark. How much higher will the level rise when hot and do I have too much oil in the engine? Maybe someone could clearly say that 75% level when cold equals 100% level when hot.................

Another question I have is whether there is a low oil level warning on the dash and if so, how low would the oil need to be before it illuminates?
Surely I would I expect to see the oil pressure drop drastically under acceleration if I had a low oil level indication?

Finally, what are the symptoms of engine oil overfill and is it safe to run a slightly overfilled engine?

Cheers!
Clint
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold - 26/04/2019 16:51

The oil will show higher when cold as more oil drains down to the sump, it does on my other cars; from min to max on the dipstick is a litre or thereabouts on the 20vt.

Always check mine as per handbook when oil is hot and like to have mine at or near the top of the cross hatching. There is an oil warning light on the oil pressure gauge which self checks/comes on when the car is started; not all Coupe's have the oil pressure gauges mind I seem to remember. From what you have stated yours does not sound overfilled, personally a mm over the top hot would not cause me lost sleep other people may not agree think over fill cause cavitation/bubbles in the oil which prevents proper lubrication and can knacker seals etc

From the Buyers Guide on the Forum:

Oil consumption

The Fiat manual states that oil consumption can be up to 1 ltr per 1000 km’s – not far off what the Audi TT does, how ever there are a few that have been known not to use oil. This is a good check on the current owner, ask what oil he uses and ask him to show you how he does it – it should be check by the following way:

• Car should be parked on flat level ground
• Oil temp should be at normal running temperature
• Switch off engine and leave for approx 10 mins
• Pull out oil dip stick and wipe, re-insert and turn slowly around
• Pull out dip stick and observe the bottom of the dip stick where you will find a flattened hashed area
• Oil should be on the hashed area, from the bottom of the hashed area to the top of the hatch is approx 1 ltr of oil.
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold - 26/04/2019 20:36

I warm the engine before topping up engine oil simply because I don't wait so long to re-check it with the dipstick because of a belief it doesn't take as long for it to settle in the sump.

No Idea if that is correct or if it's just some misconception I have. I've never scientifically tested my belief.
Posted By: Clintos

Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold - 27/04/2019 03:49

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Submariner
The oil will show higher when cold as more oil drains down to the sump, it does on my other cars; from min to max on the dipstick is a litre or thereabouts on the 20vt.

Always check mine as per handbook when oil is hot and like to have mine at or near the top of the cross hatching. There is an oil warning light on the oil pressure gauge which self checks/comes on when the car is started; not all Coupe's have the oil pressure gauges mind I seem to remember. From what you have stated yours does not sound overfilled, personally a mm over the top hot would not cause me lost sleep other people may not agree think over fill cause cavitation/bubbles in the oil which prevents proper lubrication and can knacker seals etc

From the Buyers Guide on the Forum:

Oil consumption

The Fiat manual states that oil consumption can be up to 1 ltr per 1000 km’s – not far off what the Audi TT does, how ever there are a few that have been known not to use oil. This is a good check on the current owner, ask what oil he uses and ask him to show you how he does it – it should be check by the following way:

• Car should be parked on flat level ground
• Oil temp should be at normal running temperature
• Switch off engine and leave for approx 10 mins
• Pull out oil dip stick and wipe, re-insert and turn slowly around
• Pull out dip stick and observe the bottom of the dip stick where you will find a flattened hashed area
• Oil should be on the hashed area, from the bottom of the hashed area to the top of the hatch is approx 1 ltr of oil.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK