Fiat Coupe Club UK

Timing Belt - Engine In or Out?

Posted By: cammmy

Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 31/05/2019 06:51

Hi All

I've recently taken possession of a 2000 20 VT that seems quite sound other than the body work.

I have a bunch of history for it and as far as I can tell, the timing belt is within its milage but has been on there for 9 years, so I don't really want to drive it until that's been done.

I have read the very thorough how-to on changing the belt with the engine in the car and my question is; I have a 2 post lift, would it be easier for me to drop the front subframe and do it that way?

Thanks
Posted By: robcal

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 31/05/2019 15:48

I cant provide an answer to this, but if you're in Essex, pay a visit to Roger at Power Developments in Laindon...
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 01/06/2019 06:22

It’s easy enough in the car from top.

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 01/06/2019 10:05

Robcal. Thanks, that's good to know.

BBR, okay thanks. I'll try it that way.
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 01/06/2019 11:54

If its likely to want a clutch you could drop the lump

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 02/06/2019 10:32

Good point. The clutch felt good when I drove it but if it's cheap enough. It could be done anyway.

I was thinking about other things like the hose of death and the engine mounts. As well as just general access tonthe bolts holding the timing and aux belts on
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 02/06/2019 19:40

If you have the time and inclination then drop the whole thing out and as others have said install a new clutch at the same time. Change the cam sensor as well.

If you want to go all out then:

Engine / gearbox mounts
All coolant hoses (including hose of death)
Check the non return valve for oil recirc behind the inlet manifold,
Check the inlet manifold donuts (sandwiched between inlet manifold and head as these crack)
Power Steering Fluid
Oil cooler pipes (these tend to rust and can dump all oil in a matter of minutes)
Wishbones, track rod ends and antiroll bar bushes and drop links

I could go on smile

Re: Timing Belt - Engine In or Out? - 04/06/2019 12:27

Nice one, thanks. Good info.

I'll have another look through the history I've got to see what has and hasn't been done in recent years. I may just have to park it up for a while until I can do it properly. The R53 Cooper S is getting some attention at the moment and then my friends written off, copart S3 is getting done.

Why does everything I get need a timing belt X-D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK