Fiat Coupe Club UK

20VT timing issues

Posted By: robcoupe20vt

20VT timing issues - 30/06/2019 17:09

Hi have not been able to time my engine . I have the cam locking caps . I bought this car a few months ago and it was off the road for 8 years . Stuck a battery in it and it started . Now i left some spanner son the top of the engine and when it started they were banging so i switched it off . Went to start it again and no joy except the injector light was flashing . I scanned it and it said the camshaft phase was gone . I am thinking the timing may have slipped which would cause the engine not to start and the diagnostic code for the cam sensor to come up. I have had this problem before but on other engine . Can anyone look at the pictures and tell me if its slipped . The srcew driver down number 1 is not AT TDC .

https://i.ibb.co/pKM9Gt0/fiat-coupe-timing-001.jpg

[img]https://i.ibb.co/jzpsGyH/fiat-coupe-timing-002.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: 20VT timing issues - 30/06/2019 18:46

The cams are correct but it's not at TDC on cylinder 1, the locating dowel on the crank pulley is 15-20 degrees out.

Re: 20VT timing issues - 30/06/2019 19:14

So you would say the crank timing is out slightly . If thats the case thats why the cam sensor has been flagged as faulty which it most likely is not . I will re time it tomorrow and put the new belts/waterpump on and do a compression check . Thank you

Re: 20VT timing issues - 01/07/2019 10:05

No problem, buy a TDC gauge to be sure it's set at top dead centre, also make sure you're following the belt fitting instructions as instructed on page 87 of the book, if you don't have a copy click on the link below, fingers crossed it's not kissed valves.

Re: 20VT timing issues - 01/07/2019 15:06

Update . I checked the timing again this morning and as you say its off . So i took the belt off and reset it just in case the valve to piston contact meant lifting the head . I turned the engine over and it started straight away with the old nelt and tensioners also the injector light went off .The engine sounded fine with no noise or misfire I had a new cam phase sensor and fitted that also . When i put the timing belt kit/water pump and the phase sensor it started again . So i pulled the plugs and did a compression check just to be on the safe side .

As in the picture 150psi on all five so i am very lucky as i reckon the belt had moved 2 to 3 tooth . If the head had needed to come off i was going to park it in the corner and start back on my 16VT . Lesson learnt this car had been parked for 8 years and the tensioner has got stuck and made the belt slack this is why the belt jumped . I have been doing 20 vt timing belt changes since 2002 last one on my brothers coupe about 3 years ago but having done many other difficult cars the coupe is a peice of cake .

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Re: 20VT timing issues - 01/07/2019 19:33

Sounds like a lucky escape.

Out of interest do you undo the exhaust pulley bolt?

Re: 20VT timing issues - 01/07/2019 21:20

Yes very very lucky . I had to take the exhaust cam wheel off to fit the cam phase sensor
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK