Fiat Coupe Club UK

How hot is too hot?

Posted By: Anonymous

How hot is too hot? - 12/07/2019 16:28

Greetings,my 16v is starting to reach the next line after 90c(it has no number but I think it is 100c) often when I drive in heavy traffic. Is that too much? I tried to add some water in the expansion tank and after just half a liter it started overflowing from the cap,which means coolant was on max. Fans are working normally from what I can tell.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: How hot is too hot? - 12/07/2019 18:07

I think that’s normal temps. Cars run hot!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: How hot is too hot? - 12/07/2019 18:26

16v should run with a water temperature of 79-84c at the thermostat. The fan comes on at 85c at the radiator, but by that time the ECU thinks the water is at 99c. In stationary traffic in hot weather, the fan generally holds the temperature at 103c.

The gauge is not to be considered authoritative, but I won't worry at an indicated 100 in traffic, *if* it drops back once you're moving. On the NA, the oil and water are at close to the same temperature due to the intercooler behind the filter, so that's another clue; again, expect 90-100c.

Neil
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How hot is too hot? - 12/07/2019 18:36

Thanks a lot for the reply,car didn't move past 103c from what I saw,and of course when I started to move temp started to get down.
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: How hot is too hot? - 16/07/2019 19:52

If the middle mark is 90 and the max mark is 130 then the 3/4 mark must be 110. My vis has been just past the 3/4 mark on track on a hot day with no issue although I did ease off for a lap before returning to paddock.

Probably wouldn't want to turn the engine off at that temperature to avoid heat soak. When I returned to paddock I checked the temp after a couple of minutes and the temperature had crept up again. Ran the engine breifly to circulate the water and watched it come down again.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK