Fiat Coupe Club UK

Auxillary Belt Guard

Posted By: Master_Mariner

Auxillary Belt Guard - 31/10/2019 12:06

HI All,

I've read on these pages a few too many horror stories of what can happen should the auxiliary belt let go and wrap itself around the main cambelt at high revs.

So just a quick thank you to Joe of FCSS (CountryCruising on this forum) - I'd brought my 20vt6 in for a service, and a check over and as you do the conversation ranged from everything from tyre pressures to future proofing issues like rusty sunroofs.

Joe's a calming voice of reason in the paranoia that Coupe ownership can bring - and he told me that FCSS had a solution to the risk of a jumping aux belt and that he would fit their proprietary Aux Belt Guard. And within a few minutes it was in place and scratch one less item on the "to do list". And one less worry!

And thanks to for Joe going over my car from front to back, top to bottom- and additional to the planned service, picking up and resolving some issues I didn't even realise were issues. All done calmly and without fuss.

I also had the opportunity to see the quality of work that a full restoration brings on a long term blue coop. And got a climpse of a very safe and secure Bumblebee getting ready for an engine out prep! My 20vt6 isn't so far away from the next issue - bodywork and bumpers....so its refreshing to see how it will be taken care of

I know Joe's taking a well deserved short holiday this week - but I've urged him to put some more video's or content out about FCSS. At a time where its getting hard to get old of some routine items- Joe's working through future proofing solutions on a number of things- and for one, I'm grateful for his passion-and others on this forum- that give so much guidance on the ownership of the Coupe!

- MY EDIT - Cheers Joe - My coupe felt really great on the 200 mile jog back home last night. And whilst I doubt a belt will go.....should it I know I am covered now!

Regards

MM
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 31/10/2019 23:24

well done for getting it fitted, i think they are a big improvement over the pulley rings that were used before and hence why i have moved over to the guard now as well.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 02/11/2019 11:07

Thanks for the post discussing the belt guard Rob, it's a simpler design of Flea's made from stainless instead of aluminium so durable and notsso vulnerable to alloy corrosion.
I've been asked is it 100% sure to stop the aux belt passing the main pulley, we'll in my opinion yes absolutely as it location when attached allows only a 1mm clearance between the standard pulley outer diameter so there's no possibility the belt can pass the guard or be drawn in over the top or sides.
The rotational guard design is still at the end of the day a rotating pulley so not full proof as I've seen several belt failures over the years, this design now puts a rest to all that paranoia, stress and expense, the only downside is I can only supply and fit this as it needs setting up when being bolted to the engine.

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 02/11/2019 11:24

Thanks for the post discussing the belt guard Rob, it's a simpler design of Flea's made from stainless instead of aluminium so durable and notsso vulnerable to alloy corrosion.
I've been asked is it 100% sure to stop the aux belt passing the main pulley, we'll in my opinion yes absolutely as it location when attached allows only a 1mm clearance between the standard pulley outer diameter so there's no possibility the belt can pass the guard or be drawn in over the top or sides.
The rotational guard design is still at the end of the day a rotating pulley so not full proof as I've seen several belt failures over the years, this design now puts a rest to all that paranoia, stress and expense, the only downside is I can only supply and fit this as it needs setting up when being bolted to the engine.

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 02/11/2019 11:25

Sorry for the double post, my bad
Posted By: carmine

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 02/11/2019 17:29

Dear signor joe.
Is there no possibility to buy one of these guards?
I live in Germany.
From what I understand, even avoiding the guard, wouldn't a normal mechanic be able to install it?
This is a great thing.
The paranoia of a broken Cam Belt is always lurking.
I think a lot of people would like to have it.
Posted By: Grigio

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 03/11/2019 03:20

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
the only downside is I can only supply and fit this as it needs setting up when being bolted to the engine.

G'day Joe, unless you're in Tasmania anytime soon, I'd also consider buying a guard for local fitment. I had an auxiliary belt self destruct 2 days after I bought my coupe, fortunately it happened at idle just after I'd started the car, so no other damage done, but ongoing anxiety about the issue remains.

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 03/11/2019 08:44

OK so for none UK owns who aren't local I'll put together fitting instructions with fixings, I'll post a GB thread later this weekend, UK owners would need to visit me for fitting.
Posted By: DavidRobot

Re: Auxillary Belt Guard - 03/11/2019 09:28

Having seen the guard when Joe fitted one to my coupe I’d say it’s well worth the visit to FCSS. I had been considering one of the pulley guards but was put off by the idea that you’re effectively introducing extra mass to the pulley and wasn’t certain that it would stop a snapped belt entering the cambelt.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK