Fiat Coupe Club UK

Questions when replacing fuel pump

Posted By: jaaps2

Questions when replacing fuel pump - 30/11/2019 16:32

I am replacing my fuel pump since it makes noise when the weather is hot.

Some questions, even after reading the how to. I am super-cautious since I don't want to break anything.

1)
Which of the connections is plus and which ground/minus? Since my new pump has a different electrical connection. I would expect the black wire to be minus and the green plus, but checking to be sure.

2))
How to remove the small filter attached to the old pump. There is a litte clip. Lift this and push downwards from the old pump? Does not go smoothly, but perhaps I have to pull harder.

3)
I had to remove a fiat hose clip, I will replace this with a jubilee clip. I have several in stock, but galvanised version only. Does this suffice or did you use RVS like the Original?

Attached picture fuel pump wires.jpg

Re: Questions when replacing fuel pump - 30/11/2019 21:40

I have an answer for 1)
Found in the workshop manual the connections of the plug, color codes N (black) and NZ (black / purple). The fuel pump has number 178 in the photo of a page in the workshop manual.
N is the ground.

For 3)
I used google. At least for diesel galvinesed metal seems to be a bad idea. It will react with the fuel. So I'm not going to risk it.

Happy to hear your experiences for 2) on removing the filter

Attached picture connection fuel pump.jpg

Re: Questions when replacing fuel pump - 06/12/2019 16:11

For 2: just pry, there is no clip.

For the 20VT there are two different pumps. Mine was build in 1997. As of 1998 the pump and pump housing was changed.
I will reorder a new one, for the 1997 model the pumps are easily avaible. And now I have a 1998-2000 model in spare …
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK