Fiat Coupe Club UK

Refurb of rear brake callipers

Posted By: jaaps2

Refurb of rear brake callipers - 04/01/2020 15:49

While preparing a repaint of the rear brake callipers, I noticed one of the piston-rubbers is damaged. I happen to have a refurbishment kit.

Does someone know how to remove the piston? For my front Brembo callipers I just used air pressure via a brake nipple and the pistons popped out, but this does not work for the rear brakes.

Second question: there is also a rubber near the lever for the handbrake: between the lever and the housing. This is not included in my kit. Does anyone have experience with replacement and where to buy?

Attached some photo's.

Attached picture IMG_1719.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1718.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1717.jpg
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Refurb of rear brake callipers - 04/01/2020 16:19

I think that, because of the handbrake lever, the rear pistons are screwed to a lever in the caliper. That's why you need to unscrew the piston (turning it anti-clokwise?) so it will get free from the lever. That's why there are 4 grooves on the piston surface.

Re: Refurb of rear brake callipers - 05/01/2020 12:13

My Brake-tool only works clockwise (to screw inwards). But its solved. Just repeat using the handbrake lever and finally the piston will be loose.
Posted By: MIB

Re: Refurb of rear brake callipers - 10/01/2020 09:32

I bought a full kit, including the pistons from Bigg Red here http://www.biggred.co.uk/brake-caliper-piston-repair-kit-brkp69
This kit includes the rubber seal for the handbrake lever cable.
It also includes some O rings used inside the self adjusting mechanism inside the pistons. This mechanism is very fiddly to remove as there is a difficult to reach internal circlip holding it all in. I used a tiny flat balde jewlers screwdriver to reach down and release the circlip, but it's very frustrating work, and don't break the circlip as they are very, very, very difficult to find!!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Refurb of rear brake callipers - 10/01/2020 16:46

Yeah, second for the Bigg Red kit

Re: Refurb of rear brake callipers - 10/01/2020 21:18

Yes, these would have been great. I allready have the ricambi originali set though. Happy that the rubbers for the levers and the pistons look fine on my breaks.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK