Fiat Coupe Club UK

Back to Black

Posted By: Easy

Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:08

Can you guys recommend me a product that restores black plastic trim. Something someone has used in the past with good results. I've tried Meguirs Trim Restorer after some lengthy googling and to be honest it was pretty rubbish, so I'm looking for something more 'oily' if there is such a thing.

Thanks people.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:12

I've always used autoglym bumper care. Its like a thick green paste that you rub in. Used on it on black trim on other cars and works a treat. Also will remove polish marks from rubber seals etc.

Around £6.

Ross
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:17

Smooth peanut butter...

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:18

Autofinesse revive. Best product on the market unless you look at the gtecniq stuff!

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:24

Roughly how long does the finish last on these products guys?
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 16:42

Originally Posted By: h2ypr
I've always used autoglym bumper care. Its like a thick green paste that you rub in. Used on it on black trim on other cars and works a treat. Also will remove polish marks from rubber seals etc.

Around £6.

Ross

Another vote for AutoGlym Bumper care. It goes a long way. Just bought my second bottle after about 2 years.
A can of Back to Black will last about 2 weeks.
Back to Black is a bit quicker to apply.

It works on everything rubber or black, and is reasonably long lasting. I have a suspicion it is made of something like silicone mixed with washing up liquid. It separates out a lot and needs a good shake before use.

I use it whenever I wax the car and it lasts until the next wax - usually a few weeks.

I have also used Tesco's own bumper care aerosol cans, and they're the same - quick, but they run out quickly too.

I also have Wonder Wheels tyre shine - which is like a white milky substance. It is OK, nothing special, free with a bottle of Wonder Wheels.

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 17:11

Cheap= peanut oil/butter last longer then back to black cost £1 or so you can cook/eat with left overs too.

Expensive= Gtechniq C4 claimed to last for upto 2 years, Around £22 for 15ml.

others in between price are Prima nero and CarPro PERL plus many more
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 20:00

Originally Posted By: h2ypr
I've always used autoglym bumper care. Its like a thick green paste that you rub in.

Yes, yes and yes. Fantastic product. Been using my bottle for 14 years now! It lasts long (if you park inside).

Re: Back to Black - 21/06/2012 20:11

Originally Posted By: jimbob13
Smooth peanut butter...

x2 it works a treat
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Back to Black - 22/06/2012 00:05

If somebody sees you smearing peanut butter on your car, they're going to think you've gone over the edge! Out of interest, what do you need to blacken on a coupé?

Re: Back to Black - 22/06/2012 10:18

Originally Posted By: pinin_prestatyn
If somebody sees you smearing peanut butter on your car, they're going to think you've gone over the edge! Out of interest, what do you need to blacken on a coupé?

Especially if I 'taste' it as I go along... hurl

laugh

But yeah it is not for the Coupe, it is for one of my other cars which has badly worn plastics.
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Back to Black - 22/06/2012 10:36

Originally Posted By: pinin_prestatyn
Out of interest, what do you need to blacken on a coupé?

Skirts (if you have a proper original one tongue )
Black parts under the bumpers (again if you have a proper one)
Grille (if you have a proper one)
Window rubbers
Door pillars
Panel under the wipers if you're feeling obsessively keen.
Mirror mounts.
Tyres (if you're feeling wasteful)
Engine hoses
Air box
Rubber sheets just behind the bumpers

Re: Back to Black - 22/06/2012 11:22

If its plastic trim then a heat gun works wonders plus it lasts alot longer than any back to black product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s

Re: Back to Black - 22/06/2012 11:35

Yep heat gun does work , if the car is a Vauxhall this is the way to go. The heat helps to bring the oils with in the platic back to surface, hairdyer may work too.

A good way to remove polish from plastics is to use a rubber.

Re: Back to Black - 26/05/2013 20:07

Any of these products work on the door handles/b pillars?

Re: Back to Black - 26/05/2013 20:13

I use Autoglym Silicone Spray on my B pillars and it lasts well.
Posted By: worcscoupe

Re: Back to Black - 26/05/2013 21:46

Autoglym bumper care works well for me too
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK