Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cree led's

Posted By: jame5

Cree led's - 16/11/2012 18:18

After reading Pondmans thread about his new reverse light bulbs i decided to buy some others and see how they performed.
Firstly stop tail bulbs, i had previously been using led cluster bulbs behind smoked lenses. Not easy to see on a bright day, after swapping them with a set of these the difference is amazing, they are so much brighter, possibly even brighter than traditional bulbs. I'll get some pics up over the weekend if anyones interested.
Secondly side lights, wow! I have tried just about every different led sidelight bulb available and these make them all look pathetic. I am pretty confident i could drive at night just using them. They are to normal led's what HID's are to normal lights.

Before
click to enlarge

After
click to enlarge

Just one
click to enlarge

Both
click to enlarge

Just waiting for my H1 cree foglight bulbs to arrive from china! cool
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 18:35

You sure they will fit. I got some led fog lights but they wouldn't fit through the hole. It's bulb shaped.....
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 18:45

Cree led really are ***BRILLIANT*** I have had two led lenser torches and a headlamp, for about two years now!
They make all the other torches look as bright as Toc h lamp.

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 18:46

Pretty sure, I tried and failed in the past with led bulbs for the fogs but these look like they will fit and if not I have a spare set of side light/ fog/ indicator lights to experiment with if need be.

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 18:49

If they fit I will have to get some. My side lights are led and it makes my fogs look yellow.

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 19:08

looks good Jame5 but you can't beat hid's in the fog lights wink

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 19:44

Hmmmmm, hids are cheap now. Might go that way instead.....

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 20:53

They DO look good, and in the fog at the moment they would be more than useful. The number of idjits driving sans illumination today was astounding; censored Chelsea tractors on the school run in an absolute pea-souper around the Bluebell Hill area in Kent. Time for another thread... grr

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 21:54

Originally Posted By: nismo
looks good Jame5 but you can't beat hid's in the fog lights wink

Those aren't my fog lights Iain, they are my side lights! Fog lights are in the post from china, probably won't be as good as HID's but will save some fiddly wiring and trying to find space for the ballasts.

Re: Cree led's - 16/11/2012 22:46

very true
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Cree led's - 17/11/2012 00:25

cool Have placed the side lights in my watch list smile

Re: Cree led's - 17/11/2012 10:22

Hi James,
Thanks for the acknoledgement thumb I've just bought the same LED sides, they look cool just right for getting back at those Audi/Merc drivers tongue
I'd be interested to see you brake lights in action, please post pics mate.

Re: Cree led's - 17/11/2012 11:09

Silly question but I am assuming you have to take these out MOT time?

W

Re: Cree led's - 17/11/2012 11:35

I don't see why you would have to, they are no worse than the aforementioned Audi and Merc daytime running lights. Also there shouldn't be a directional beam to dazzle on coming drivers.

Re: Cree led's - 17/11/2012 12:50

Cool, I've taken the plunge and bought a pair. Cheers for teh idea James!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 08:08

Looks like I'm going to get some too laugh Are these the bad boys I need?

Jame5, get the brake lights up as well.
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 08:27

Just ordered some

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 08:29

Originally Posted By: Begbie
Looks like I'm going to get some too laugh Are these the bad boys I need?

Jame5, get the brake lights up as well.

Yep those are the ones, will get pics of the brakes up today if I get time.

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 08:30

Let us know how you get on with the LED H1 fogs James...be interested to know if they fit in the light unit OK before I order some laugh

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 18:16

Ok, got my cree fog lights today, not an easy job but....

click to enlarge
cool

The bulbs are too big to simply replace the originals, luckily i had a spare set of side light clusters to play with. Basically i drilled out the holes and removed the metal cup from inside, i can write up a 'how to' with pics if anyone needs it.

Before
click to enlarge

After
click to enlarge

One of each
click to enlarge

Pics at night
click to enlarge click to enlarge

Side lights only
click to enlarge

Sides and fogs
click to enlarge

Sides, fogs and dipped (HID)
click to enlarge

Sides, fogs and main beam (HID)
click to enlarge

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 18:25

Pics as requested of cree brake lights

Normal (non LED) bulb
click to enlarge

Cree LED
click to enlarge

One of each
click to enlarge

Both Cree
click to enlarge

Crees and Led rings
click to enlarge

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 18:45

you have taken the crown for led king James laugh

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 19:01

Lol laugh

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 19:05

bowtie hehe

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 19:39

James, your car looks immaculate love

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 20:10

Thanks! It's a product of my ocd, all i see is rust and stone chips crazy
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 21:29

Originally Posted By: mikndo69
Just ordered some

me too smile

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 21:47

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Originally Posted By: mikndo69
Just ordered some

me too smile

And me!!
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: Cree led's - 19/11/2012 22:04

Never Mind lights
More pics of under bonnet

Re: Cree led's - 20/11/2012 08:29

Originally Posted By: nismo
you have taken the crown for led king James laugh

I think we've known that for a long time, just think about his interior LED's hehe

Jame5, when are you going to LED up the high level brake light? You've got a dead bulb on one, so you might as well do the rest of them wink

Re: Cree led's - 20/11/2012 11:50

Ha! They are already LEDs! Only white ones though and obviously a dodgy one as well. I have already ordered some nice new red ones from china, should be delivered soon. Next on the list is giving the dash a second try and then the centre consol. hehe

Re: Cree led's - 20/11/2012 23:22

Originally Posted By: Begbie
Jame5, when are you going to LED up the high level brake light? You've got a dead bulb on one, so you might as well do the rest of them wink

Spotted that too James tongue What bulbs are in the high level brake light? LED's in that + standard stop & tails would be a good combo. It's a pretty easy to get the rear parcel shelf brake light out. From memory it unscrews from inside the boot.

Re: Cree led's - 21/11/2012 06:53

Originally Posted By: jame5
Next on the list is giving the dash a second try and then the centre consol. hehe

That will be interesting, looking forward to that laugh

Re: Cree led's - 23/11/2012 16:12

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
Replaced my clear lens side repeaters with these. They are flatter and completely sealed units. My clear ones were not very water tight.
They flashed fine without any other work to be done.
Sorry the car is filthy at the moment! Link

Re: Cree led's - 23/11/2012 17:08

I really like them dblongstaff, I take it they were just a push fit?

Re: Cree led's - 23/11/2012 17:52

Yes, a push fit.
I tried them on the original wings to size it up. I fitted the rubber grommet first (obviously with wire running through it) then pushed the lamp through, you can't push it in if the grommet is around the lamp. It's a nice snug fit so get the *orientation correct then push in.

*as in, which way you want the lines in the lens to sit for neatness

Re: Cree led's - 23/11/2012 23:58

Originally Posted By: dlongstaff

Does this mean that they require no resistors or other wiring mods and that they are plug & play smile

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 00:51

Originally Posted By: Pondman
Originally Posted By: dlongstaff

Does this mean that they require no resistors or other wiring mods and that they are plug & play smile

Yes. For me.

I did remove the lamp and tested the indicator to see/witness a bulb missing. But it did not make any difference. So wether it's down to the quirks of my car or the side repeaters don't show an error?
Maybe ask the seller. It was polarity sensitive.
I'm very happy with them.

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 08:27

I switch my side repeaters for LEDs and did not need any resistors, the front indicators did need them however.

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 09:16

Good to know side repeaters are not resistance sensitive smile
James, high level brake light bulbs? Which ones did you go for wink

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 18:50

I knew I'd be bored waiting for my daughter to get some bits and pieces from the supermarket today, so took the new led's with me to fit laugh

Pouring with rain, but better than waiting around in a steamed up Coupe laugh

Before and after:

click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 19:19

I got my front cree LEDs in today as well, they are a fantastic match for the colour of my HIDs. Just need to work out what to do with the front fogs now as they are looking a bit kak!
Posted By: jasgol

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 19:54

Fitted mine today too, cool great match for my HIDs, I'm not too bothered about my fogs but would like to match the main beam to the HIDs.
I've got Osram Nightbreakers in but they're not a great match, does anyone have any suggestions? (I don't really want HIDs on the main)
Posted By: bockers

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 20:20

Halfords now stock bulbs that look like hids. Might be worth a try.
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Cree led's - 24/11/2012 22:43

Got mine today as well, Haven't fitted them yet as I need to swim to the car.

Re: Cree led's - 25/11/2012 00:39

Looking good T. Got mine today too. Weather too foul down here to bother. Got a set for my sleeping beauty + the Forester. Should look like pretty good DTRL's smile

Re: Cree led's - 25/11/2012 01:20

Weather is bad here too, although don't have to swimto the car just yet laugh

Takes two minutes to swap the bulbs over, so no excuses, regardless of weather laugh

Re: Cree led's - 25/11/2012 09:46

I concur, coupe a piece of cake wink the Forester is a grill & headlight out job though frown that's the one that's outside.

Re: Cree led's - 25/11/2012 14:17

Good to know side repeaters are not resistance sensitive smile
James, high level brake light bulbs? Which ones did you go for wink

I went for these in the end, they are the same as the white ones i currently have in there, because they have square SMLEDs the holes they fit through need widening slightly, 8mm if i remember correctly. The bulbs are also the same fitting for the dash bulbs. smile

Re: Cree led's - 25/11/2012 21:16

Thanks James, do you think they are brighter than the standard filament type for the high level brake light? What wattage are the originals? I've tried Google, but it came back with my Q. On here wobble

Re: Cree led's - 26/11/2012 16:48

Yes, they were a fair bit brighter than the originals. The original bulbs I presume are the same as the dash bulbs which from memory are 2w. I think it is in the FAQ section under 'useful 20vt info' with all the other bulb sizes.

Re: Cree led's - 26/11/2012 16:55

Originally Posted By: bockers
Halfords now stock bulbs that look like hids. Might be worth a try.

Has anyone tried these? any other suggestions for a main beam bulb to match HIDs? cheers!
Posted By: EDz

Re: Cree led's - 26/11/2012 18:49

Looking James smile
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Cree led's - 26/11/2012 21:51

Fitted mine and they are great, excellent upgrade for little money smile

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 18:15

Yeah they are superb upgrade for the outlay, doubly so as they are back up to full price now!

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 18:18

Originally Posted By: jame5
Yes, they were a fair bit brighter than the originals. The original bulbs I presume are the same as the dash bulbs which from memory are 2w. I think it is in the FAQ section under 'useful 20vt info' with all the other bulb sizes.

Any plans to fit these in the dash james ? or do you think the light may be too 'focused' for the instruments ?.....

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 19:01

The ones in the high level brake light now are the ones i tried in the dash, some parts of the dials were super bright and others were hardly lit at all. I'm looking for some different styles of bulb to experiment with, currently looking at these or these chinny
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 19:12

Those 2nd ones you've linked to are quite good jame5, but still a tad 'directional'. I've got them fitted to the clocks on 2 of my motorbikes.

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 19:47

Yeah, they have got to be frosted, and have as wide angle light span as pos....like a regular bulb.

Something like these may offer an improvement over the standard 2w bulbs...

Im sure these have been mentioned on here before...

just seen these too....even brighter idea

Re: Cree led's - 28/11/2012 19:53

Those are what i put back in the dash after i took out the leds, they are an improvement but not as bright as i hoped. Might have a go at sanding the bulbs on the second ones.
Posted By: Thunderbox

Re: Cree led's - 19/12/2012 21:00

James,

Followed your lead and bought some of the Crees. What a difference from the 27 LED W5W's I bought a couple of years ago! Thanks for the tip!

I have now bought (and now waiting for the slow boat from China!) for some 7W versions, will be interesting to see if there is any increase in brightness. I shall use them on the 159 Sportwagon if no real gain.

Re: Cree led's - 20/12/2012 08:30

James, how are you finding the sidelights after using them for awhile? does anyone flash you? (keep it clean!) cool

Re: Cree led's - 20/12/2012 08:54

No, not been flashed yet and followed a police car the other day with no complaints. The fogs might be a different matter but I am only planning on using them when it's actually foggy.

Re: Cree led's - 20/12/2012 09:13

^ me neither, there are so many bright lights out there, both OE and conversions,(have you noticed how yellow old school lights look now?) not to mention all the trucks dressed up like christmas trees.

Re: Cree led's - 02/01/2013 15:59

Bad news re the 7W versions just received, they are 16mm diameter and therefore don't fit in the side light hole on the coupe (or indeed the 159 for that matter!).They are censored bright though!! Although I've got no use for them, luckily they were not that much to buy.
Posted By: Liquid

Re: Cree led's - 05/05/2013 02:03

Can I just check that these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-5W-Q5-x-2...=item3ccfd1c4b7
are suitable replacements for my rear lights/brake lights?

Re: Cree led's - 07/05/2013 19:35

Anyone!?

Re: Cree led's - 07/05/2013 20:06

They look like they may not be the twin terminal type that you need for brake and tail lights. I haven't looked on eBay for a Cree version but have a 27 SMD lamp which does light up 20 LEDs on tail and the other 7 on stop.
Posted By: charlie_croker

Re: Cree led's - 07/05/2013 20:54

Originally Posted By: Liquid
Can I just check that these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-5W-Q5-x-2...=item3ccfd1c4b7
are suitable replacements for my rear lights/brake lights?

I had those and ended up with the Centre brake lights illuminated all the time. Gone back to standard bulbs now

Re: Cree led's - 31/05/2013 16:36

Well I ordered some Cree sidelights a while back, they turned up, went to fit them and they don't fit through the hole grr Jame5 sent me the link and it's not his fault but wonder if there is a slight difference in the front lights between 16v and 20v's or does anybody know where to order some that are slightly smaller?

Re: Cree led's - 31/05/2013 16:49

I just bought some and they fit fine > eBay link

Re: Cree led's - 02/06/2013 17:03

Cheers for that patch, I'll get some ordered up. I showed Jame5 the ones I got and they are larger than the ones he ordered from the same place.

Re: Cree led's - 04/06/2013 00:09

Those are the kiddies, fit just fine with a wriggle and a push wink

Re: Cree led's - 18/06/2013 00:50

Bought these for the rear -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261214059327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Can anyone tell me why my lights look bloody pink now!? And not even that bright in all fairness frown

Re: Cree led's - 18/06/2013 07:11

Those are the kiddies, fit just fine with a wriggle and a push wink

And that they did smile

Re: Cree led's - 18/06/2013 13:25

Liquid,

I can only think the 'pink' is due to the clear LED bulb- these red ones work a treat and are very bright!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160985716738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Re: Cree led's - 18/06/2013 14:50

Originally Posted By: Thunderbox
Liquid,

I can only think the 'pink' is due to the clear LED bulb- these red ones work a treat and are very bright!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160985716738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nice one. Will send these ones back and order from your link smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK