Fiat Coupe Club UK

front head light cluster.

Posted By: Anonymous

front head light cluster. - 11/11/2013 07:47

Hi All,

I wont make it a super long one......
just want to know if the European spec lights are exactly the same as the UK lights, ?

I looked at the light and it looks as if the dipped beam light mechs could be twisted 40 odd degrees to switch from left to right and vise versa.

CAN ANYONE confirm this ??

reason;

I really want to get my original LE lights back on the car, (have the LE match co-ordination on them) and remove the EU lights I got before coming over here, (plain black plastic surround).

Many Thanks chaps, (sorry if in wrong section - as usual).

R00

Re: front head light cluster. - 11/11/2013 08:02

Ive just had the lights out and had a shimy . I dont think its that easy. if at all possible.

other than taking the lenses off and getting to the covers that way. ? then I might as well do the EU lights (damn it) ..

any info or tips from peeps will be muchos appreciated.

R00
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: front head light cluster. - 11/11/2013 14:47

I don't believe that they can be altered between RHD and LHD. When I moved to France I bought a LHD set as I was told that it was not possible to alter them internally.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: front head light cluster. - 12/11/2013 07:31

Correct. The dipped beam pattern is created by a plate riveted in place in front of the bulb and behind the lens.
Posted By: MCMike

Re: front head light cluster. - 12/11/2013 11:21

You could just paint your standard ones silver for the LE look ?

Re: front head light cluster. - 12/11/2013 17:32

MCMike I thought of that.

has any one changed the lenses on the front lights ?.

oh well looks like of to the oven with the EU lights then.

thanks chaps.

R00

Re: front head light cluster. - 12/11/2013 17:42

You can use a heat gun , just heat up the gunk that holds the lenses in on the back of the lights and you should be able to pull the lenses off .
Posted By: jame5

Re: front head light cluster. - 13/11/2013 18:02

I did mine with the misses' hair drier, the black plastic bit inside comes out very easily, only four little screws. While your in there you can fit angel eyes and hide the hid ballasts inside!

Re: front head light cluster. - 14/11/2013 09:34

click to enlarge
There was 2 types of headlight, the second one on image. In this type you can just turn the plate (we use eu that means when i turn it i get uk type).
BUT there is another problem homologation information on the lamp
1 no signs EU type
2 <- UK type
3 <-> both (depend on the plate position)
Posted By: DaveG

Re: front head light cluster. - 14/11/2013 10:32

Originally Posted By: alfisti
There was 2 types of headlight, the second one on image. In this type you can just turn the plate (we use eu that means when i turn it i get uk type).
BUT there is another problem homologation information on the lamp
1 no signs EU type
2 <- UK type
3 <-> both (depend on the plate position)

How do you access the plate when the lamp unit is inside the housing? What do you mean by "homologation information on the lamp"? Is there something on the housing to identify which type?

Many years ago I hacked open a headlight unit (didn't think to heat it up and separate, nobody had ever done that then) to see if I could move the plate the forms the beam pattern, having ruined an original set by painting "headlamp yellow" liquid in an attempt to keep the French happy when I drove there. As far as I remember the plate was riveted in place with no adjuster, but it could be that these were RHD only lights deliberately with no way to convert, whereas some or all LHD ones maybe can be converted? But I'm still not sure how you can do that adjustment from outside of the headlamp housing?

Re: front head light cluster. - 14/11/2013 10:52

the only way to change LHD-> RHD is to open the lamp

When you look at your lamp you've got the folowing info.
1 Emark and homologation number
2 HCR it means that the light source is halogen bulb for both low/high beam
and they are lights both when you fire high beam
3 ARROW (it was that part that you quote)

About opening and moving parts there was two types one on the image in my earlier post and the second with not removable plate see photo in this post (old type)
click to enlarge

Re: front head light cluster. - 14/11/2013 22:09

Interesting chinny
Around what time/age did they change the lense type? Any discerning markings or light patterns that tell which type of lense is installed in the headlight?

Re: front head light cluster. - 15/11/2013 06:04

I wasn't interested, old type has a groove for retain clips(spring) but i didnt check if it is possible to see it from outside but perhaps will be change in homologation number beelow Emark.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK