Fiat Coupe Club UK

16NA engine look

Posted By: barnacle

16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 11:00

Looking for thoughts about tidying an old and well-used engine top end here... the original cam cover is aluminium, presumably with some protective lacquer or similar from new, though that's long gone and the alloy is covered in oxidation products. The blue infill in the lettering is also more absent than present...

So: how to tidy it?

- original metal cleaned up, new blue infill, clear HT lacquer?
- paint the metal some other colour (black car, so most likely black) and infill in a random colour?
- other thoughts?

Bear in mind I am something of a Mr Original...

Thanks!
Posted By: PeteP

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 13:04

Originally Posted By: barnacle
the original cam cover is aluminium, presumably with some protective lacquer or similar from new, though that's long gone and the alloy is covered in oxidation products.

There's no protective lacquer on the cam cover. The one on my brand new engine started oxidising within 6 months of it being fitted.

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 13:31

Hmm. There's going to be some, irrespective of the option chosen.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 17:52

I've already sorted this Neil.

You have a red and black rocker cover now with red induction and water hoses, I even went the whole hog and fitted one of those electric turbos you like so much along with an atmospheric d/v so your 16v now goes..... Brrooooommmm.........Psspphhhoooooo laugh

No need to thank me, invoice is in the post wink

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 19:30

Hmph. It's a good job Upton-under-Water is protected by a bloody great moat, or I'd be round with a long stick, the better to poke you with laugh

(Actually, I don't think I believe you. Indeed, I suspect you of jesting: how could a black coupe go 'brooom'?)
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 19:43

When I saw your coupe on Saturday Neil, I have to confess I thought it was an unusual dark green crazy

Now let me think, was that the one Joe was busy converting into a "Duck".......

Black is too sombre for the cam-cover IMO, go for deep blue and decorate with small shells.

tongue
Posted By: szkom

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 20:13

If you like original, stick with it. Perhaps semi polish the cover so it shines, just enough to catch your eye? No where near a mirror polish though.
Posted By: jame5

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 21:40

^^^ Maybe a careful sanding in one direction with some fine grade paper for a 'brushed' finish, not quite as blingy as polished. Then fill in the lettering with black. Or get Nismo to do a nice anodised blue one laugh

Re: 16NA engine look - 10/02/2014 22:52

Hmmm... Anodised... love
Posted By: Begbie

Re: 16NA engine look - 17/02/2014 11:07

Or maybe go for the aqua blasting route, with some lacquer just to protect it?

Re: 16NA engine look - 17/02/2014 11:36

Wondering about that. Not planning on removing the engine at the moment, though, so not sure that high pressure water is a good idea...
Posted By: Begbie

Re: 16NA engine look - 17/02/2014 12:18

I thought you just wanted to tidy the cam cover up, if not, then don't do aqua blasting then smile

Re: 16NA engine look - 17/02/2014 12:59

Well, the cam cover to start with, but the bits associated (or at least visible) and eventually the plastics and black bits too.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK