Fiat Coupe Club UK

Gear knob

Posted By: Edinburgh

Gear knob - 10/03/2015 00:01

Anyone tried or considered one of these?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 16:26

Yes, I'm using one in my 20vt after getting so used to it in my grande punto.

It's a screw on fitting and the coupe gear knob is normally push fit, so you need to remove the plastic bit on top of the coupe gear shaft and then use a suitable die to cut a thread into the metal shaft.

Having done that I found it was still slightly loose so I used a spot of epoxy on the threads and it's now 100% and lines up perfectly with the lift reverse collar. Looks like a factory fit on a silver coupe with the silver ring on the gear knob too. smile

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 16:37

Couple of pics:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 18:39

That does look nice, good mod thumb

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 19:46

Do they come in 6 speed ?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 20:42

There's room to squeeze a 6 in there with TippEx wink

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 20:59

laugh
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 21:06

Was looking at gear knobs on the bay myself and was surprised to see they allow these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrorist-Lade...=item27ec9344e3
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 23:34

Originally Posted By: GrahamL

It's a screw on fitting and the coupe gear knob is normally push fit, so you need to remove the plastic bit on top of the coupe gear shaft and then use a suitable die to cut a thread into the metal shaft.

Having done that I found it was still slightly loose so I used a spot of epoxy on the threads and it's now 100% and lines up perfectly with the lift reverse collar. Looks like a factory fit on a silver coupe with the silver ring on the gear knob too. smile

Quick question do you know what the diameter is on the gear stick shaft 98 early 5 speed lift up reverse and is the shaft hardened or would a normal tap and die set do.
Ta

Re: Gear knob - 13/03/2015 23:51

There's a 6 speed one as well but looks like it may be a slightly different style:

click to enlarge

much cheaper on ebay than the 5 speed for some reason.

I can't remember the exact diameter of the shaft but it may be an M10x1.0mm I used.

I just used a normal die to cut the shaft and it was quite easy so I don't think it's hardened. My set only had an M10x1.25mm and an M10x1.5mm but I now have an extra die loose in the case which is an M10x1.0mm .

I can't remember buying that one for anything else specific so it may be that I got it to do the top of the gear shaft. I'm not 100% sure on that though so you'd be best to try a bolt or two into the thread on the gear knob just to be sure.

Re: Gear knob - 14/03/2015 00:17

Cheers for the info Graham .
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: Gear knob - 14/03/2015 08:02

As above many thanks GrahamL.

Re: Gear knob - 14/03/2015 08:39

Originally Posted By: GrahamL

Yours must be an early model Graham as the later ones have plastic shafts apparently. I'm also wondering if the shafts are the same diameter.

Re: Gear knob - 28/03/2015 13:36

Done!
Old knob click to enlarge

Perished rubber surround click to enlarge

M10 / 1/8 NPT gauge/click to enlarge

Reverse gear sliderclick to enlarge

New threadclick to enlarge

Knob fittedclick to enlarge

Thanks to all for advice smile

Re: Gear knob - 21/05/2015 10:02

just done my gearknob on the inky, god I love that job !! 7 cuts later, lots of swearing and moaning , its now fitted. Shocked the neighbours, they don't normally see me up at 7-30 am ! laugh
Why did fiat have to make it so hard to do ? crazy
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Gear knob - 21/05/2015 20:34

That is one shagged knob shocked
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Gear knob - 07/06/2015 12:04

I bought the Grande Punto EVO Racing 6 speed knob, like this one.

click to enlarge

The thread in the knob was a tapered M10 x 1.50

I cut a thread onto the shaft but the maximum depth of the knob meant that the reverse lifter didn’t fit inside the gear knob perfectly. The solution was get out the angle grinder, and with the interior suitably protected, cut 1cm off the shaft and run the thread 1cm further down.

All looks rather smart imho smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK