Fiat Coupe Club UK

B Pillars & Door Handles

Posted By: danb052k

B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 13:42

Hi All,

What spray paints do people plump for when refurbishing the B pillars and the Door Handles?

I was thinking of using Hammerite Satin Black, for toughness, and Satin Black finish, but what have others used?

Do people then lacquer it?

Many thanks,
Dan
Posted By: Dan

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 13:54

I just used Halfords satin black. They look great but I doubt it's very durable. Lasted well so far though.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 14:37

Halfords black gloss with some additional lacquer on top
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 17:14

Originally Posted By: Dan
I just used Halfords satin black. They look great but I doubt it's very durable. Lasted well so far though.

same here

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 18:16

Yes, me too. Halford Satin is fine. Can also do the rear frames with it. Last a long time, add a sealant and a little polish (not tried wax). No need for lacquer IMO.

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 03/02/2016 22:36

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies - looks like Halfords Stain Black it is then!

Patch, sorry to be a numpty but when you say "add a sealant and some polish"...I presume you mean a sealant spray, and then some polish with elbow grease? Apologies for my really stupid question...but I must be the only person in the world who broke a binnacle by trying to change bulbs rolleyes, so I do need instructions that a baby can follow!!

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 04/02/2016 02:53

Hahahahaha, okay! thumb

I use this sealant CLICK and this is a decent polish to use for this purpose CLICK as it will cut back your spray work a little to make it look nicer (rub on with a cloth (microfibre) and wipe off after rubbing in vigorously for a few minutes. Don't do the frames with the polish though...

POLISH first and SEAL after. thumb
Posted By: Henklia

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 04/02/2016 14:24

ordered some black with red pearly effect(my car's red). Looks great. Black when sun doesn't shine and a light reddish pearl look in the black when the sun is shining.

Alfa has that colour but also Kia has it

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 10/02/2016 11:32

Hi All,

Ok, over the next 2 weekends i intend to get this job done and out of the way...i need a break from decorating the house!

thank you for all the advice, i shall see if i can get some pictures of my handy work...however, one last thing, removing the pillar badges is no problem at all...but what have people used to put them back on?

Nigel has given me a few suggestions but thought i would also open it up to the floor...basically i am an idiot at this sort of thing so the more info i have the less likely i am to need a recovery truck!!

thanks in advance,
Dan

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 10/02/2016 12:12

there should be metal round discs that hold the badges on with rubber washers to stop water , I just reused them to hold my badges on .

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 10/02/2016 14:59

I just left them in place. masked the badges very precisely and sprayed the pillars. Looks good but you need good weather to do it.

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 10/02/2016 15:00

I took the door handles off and took them apart for the respray. Be careful on reassembly i managed to damage one!

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 04/03/2016 16:06

Hi All,

Ok...so i didn't complete this within 2 weeks, the Mrs had other plans which i was (as usual) not aware of!

I have a company round the corner from me who powder coats...are these items suitable for powder coating?? it saves my elbow grease & i could get it done without me having to take shelter in the cold garage (car parts in the house are a no no it seems!).

Thank you,
Dan
Posted By: Gripped

Re: B Pillars & Door Handles - 04/03/2016 19:50

I left mine in place too. Just mask off well with tape including the door locks and badges.

Use wet n dry paper to sand off any corrosion and loose paint. Get it all nice and smooth. Then once you've cleaned and dried use etch primer. I think they are alloy, so etch primer makes a better bond. Topcoat was just a Halfords matt black I think. Looks good on mine.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK