Fiat Coupe Club UK

Show me your painted center console/dash pics

Posted By: Anonymous

Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 17:32

I've just de-gunked my centre console and have got a a few layers of black plastikote on but I'm toying with the idea of spraying it to match the Steel Grey of the car or even the red of the seat leather in my LE. It would be nice to see some pics of others that have been painted a different colour to help decide. Tried a few links from old posts but the pics had gone frown

To clean off the sticky rubber;
I used a couple of splodges of drain unblocker gel and a basin of hot water. Out in the garden I gave it shake around at arms length with a long brush wearing a dust mask and goggles as the drain blocker stuff is pretty nasty stuff. It worked magnificently and got all the gunk of in under 10 mins. A quick rinse and dry in the sun and I had 2 layers of paint on all within an hour. smile
Very pleased as i thought it was going to be a tedious job getting it cleaned for painting.

Pics please smile

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 17:54

My silver had a silver painted console. I removed it as it did not look good imo. Will post a pic later for you to see thumb

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 17:56

Some old pics I had lying around:

Mine with plastidip:

click to enlarge

And some in silver, although I think these are the stick on plastic kit rather than painted:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

you used to be able to get the centre console from the 1.8 16v special edition coupe, which came in silver as standard, but those parts are long gone now.

Like this one:

click to enlarge

I prefer the black look but the plastidip marks quite easily so isn't actually as hard wearing as you'd think.
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 18:09

I like the look of it colour coded.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: injekciona

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 18:49

Gloss black and polished buttons

click to enlarge

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 19:05

Silver came with the car
click to enlarge

Changed to this - flocking
click to enlarge click to enlarge

And flocked in my old Crono
click to enlarge

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 22:19

I think you're right patch Silver or Steel Grey wont suit me either.

Thanks for those pics Graham, they were useful and I want a Momo steering wheel now wink

The Glossy in your Pic Injekciona looks better than I thought.

So Glossy or Matt Black is the choice. Unless someone has got an LE console pic in Red to match the Trim?

I had actually got several layers of Black Matt on and it looked great, then i realised my other can was glossy - so i have given it two layers of that to see how it looks. Will check in tomorrow in daylight.

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 10/05/2016 22:28

and I figured out tonight that I put the electric mirror control button in the wrong way around ..... take note!!

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 00:15

Originally Posted By: patch234
and I figured out tonight that I put the electric mirror control button in the wrong way around ..... take note!!

oops! very annoying!
Posted By: Clintos

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 05:23

Originally Posted By: injekciona

click to enlarge

I like the gloss black thumb

Did you do the handbrake console the same?
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 07:45

I did my centre consol Sprint blue, left ashtray rubber and did handbrake consul gloss black, then fitted the bling laugh

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Posted By: RusH

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 09:11

Hydro dipped Carbon Fibre on mine.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 16:19

Originally Posted By: RusH
Hydro dipped Carbon Fibre on mine.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

That looks superb cool
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 16:49

Still can't do pics & I've still to fit my piano black console. For me it's the only way to go. Others obviously have their choices but not for me. Just my thoughts..... smile
Posted By: injekciona

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 18:03

Originally Posted By: Clintos

click to enlarge

I like the gloss black thumb

Did you do the handbrake console the same?

Yes smile

click to enlarge

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 19:53

Yes smile

click to enlarge

cool wow that looks a very nice cockpit all round.

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 20:03

Originally Posted By: jimboy
Still can't do pics & I've still to fit my piano black console. For me it's the only way to go. Others obviously have their choices but not for me. Just my thoughts..... smile

I take it piano black is Glossy Jim ?

Looking at the pics posted I'm sold on Glossy I think.
Trouble is I only got a couple of layers of the Glossy Plastikote on before the can started to leak at the seal - spraying/leaking paint everywhere mostly on me had and arm grr I would go get another but can't remember where i bought it from confused It was last year and it was from a walk-in store. Can anybody remind me what "High Street" store stocks it.

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 20:12

I think that when the dash is sprayed body colour it takes away the design cue of the strip. Contrasting colours or black suit best IMO.
Posted By: Rosso

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 11/05/2016 21:44

steel grey and plastikote gloss black
click to enlarge

need to get a better pic in the daylight.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 12/05/2016 13:01

Originally Posted By: Lego

Trouble is I only got a couple of layers of the Glossy Plastikote on before the can started to leak at the seal - spraying/leaking paint everywhere mostly on me had and arm grr I would go get another but can't remember where i bought it from confused It was last year and it was from a walk-in store. Can anybody remind me what "High Street" store stocks it.

B&Q do it Lego. Halfrauds. I undercoated my console with plastic undercoat, then gloss black, then gloss clear lacquer.... cool
Posted By: JKD

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 12/05/2016 18:50

Can the gunk be so bad on the Coop's centre console that any deep scratches are not actually on the centre console itself but on the 'layer' of gunk?

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 12/05/2016 22:20

Originally Posted By: Lego

B&Q do it Lego. Halfrauds. I undercoated my console with plastic undercoat, then gloss black, then gloss clear lacquer.... cool

Cheers Jim.

Got it at screwfix as my B&Q didn't have it. Didn't get the clear lacquer though. I take it that the clear stuff is needed to give it that mirror finish?
Posted By: redjon

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 20/05/2016 19:34

Originally Posted By: Rosso
click to enlarge

Is that with laquer also?
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 21/05/2016 07:59

Originally Posted By: JKD
Can the gunk be so bad on the Coop's centre console that any deep scratches are not actually on the centre console itself but on the 'layer' of gunk?

I did my centre console with nail varnish remover and a cloth, the underneath was pretty much unmarked and has come up in a piano black gloss finish with nothing other than some GT85 and then a polish.

The console by the handbrake is next will try in situ as I cannot be arsed to disconnect the electric window buttons etc. Mine looks marked but having taken off a small area of gunk looks ok, it won't shine up like the centre though as it appears a different material/finish.
Posted By: Rosso

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 24/05/2016 08:11

Originally Posted By: redjon
Originally Posted By: Rosso
click to enlarge

Is that with laquer also?

Yeh I gave it a coat or two of plastikote for more shine.

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 26/05/2016 17:28

I am inspired to do mine!

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 05/06/2016 13:38

Starting mine now! Seems simple enough, got the plastic primer and I'm going with gloss black to compliment my yellow dash strip!

Only thing I can seem to do is remove the ashtray? Any tips on this? It's the main reason why I'm doing it, I'm sick of black mess on my thumb when I press it!
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 09/06/2016 21:35

Just swapped mine for a gloss black replacement. This is how bad it had got. Sticky and easily scratched.

click to enlarge

Three hours later, with a little swearing after losing ANOTHER tiny screw into the car, forever...

click to enlarge

Makes the whole interior a nicer place to be. Also took the chance to replace a blown bulb and fix the whirring climate fan.
Posted By: Makkadiamond

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 09/06/2016 22:26

Done mine in Mat black plasti dip.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 09/06/2016 22:27

Looks good. Close to factory thumb
Posted By: Clintos

Re: Show me your painted center console/dash pics - 16/12/2016 04:23

click to enlarge

click to enlarge