Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hid vs led

Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Hid vs led - 26/11/2017 21:10

All

Came by a nice set of refurbed headlights the other day (cheers Ben, nice to meet you).
The ink black coop is my first usable one and jeez the lights are bad. Terrible! This will be used for urban too-ing and fro-ing. A pal offered me an hid kit but its the wrong fitment. For dipped beam improvement - what would you guys recommend? Got any links? Will fit to the new headlights wink
Did a search but plenty conflicting advice and technology is constantly changing anyway.
Thanks

Re: Hid vs led - 28/11/2017 06:09

Anyone?
Posted By: H_R

Re: Hid vs led - 28/11/2017 06:16

In my experience HID for normal dipped beam and the best bulbs you can get for main beam LED are pretty good in main beam too!
Seen the prices of LED's tumbling lately don't know if they are cheap versions from china that wont last

Technically these are MOT fails however myself and many others have had no issues getting an MOT with them fitted, but just so you know

Re: Hid vs led - 29/11/2017 20:53

Have ordered a Duncan special - seeing as there was an 8% voucher code on facebook. Sadly that didn't extend to the kit I bought for the Discovery while I was there, but 4 quid is 4 quid!
Just done the dipped beam for now as it's an urban car this one.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Hid vs led - 17/12/2017 20:46

Any chance you did a before and after for comparison? I still run normal lamps and they are cack.

Re: Hid vs led - 19/12/2017 06:28

So I've completed this now. In a set of polished lights.
I'd read a lot of anecdotal evidence that LED was better for the main beam on the coop but HID was preferred on dipped beam. So I ordered a half decent HID kit and set about switching the LED to main.
Honestly?
Not seeing much in it. HID penetration seems slightly better but they seem a bit 'washed out' if I'm honest.
A bit on the fence. There's no doubt they're better than the Yankee Candles fitted as standard.

As an aside - I fitted h4 LED's to my discovery 1. They are absolutely brilliant - superbly brilliant.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Hid vs led - 23/12/2017 14:04

Great to have the feedback, sounds like it’s much of a much Wes between HID and LEDs that you’ve tried.

I had HIDs and they got dimmer over a few years, I would imagine this won’t be the case for LED so would assume overall the LED would make more sense.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Hid vs led - 23/12/2017 17:07

Thanks for the reminder I need to get a pic of lights now with standard lights
Then fit my leds and go back to the same spot and take another pic
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hid vs led - 01/04/2019 13:23

Hi guys, right then here be the latest for Rosa, had HID's on Rosa for about ten years, only dipped side, yes they were good, but had snags with FIAT electrics as the HID's kept resetting, Joe recommended the group buy LED's from Duncan. Bought four for both dipped and high beam, they were comparable to the HID's, but I felt they could be better, Joe, Duncan and I believed it is the age of the optics (foggy), and the outside cover becoming tarnished. Got a re-furbished set of headlight units from Marius Petrescu, they look like new, installed them on Rosa with the LED's, what a difference, I have never had such good lights on a coupe, perfect. Oh and Rosa flew through her MoT last week, before anyone says they will fail, no they won't, tester was well happy with the light spread and output.
Posted By: wink

Re: Hid vs led - 04/04/2019 12:21

I've got LEDs in both dip and main, with newly refurbed covers. They're bright, but they don't seem to have the same projection as the previous HIDs. Or to put it another way, the beam seems more diffuse. If an oncoming car has bright lights, I find I can't see mine any more. Thinking about keeping the LEDs for main beam but going back to HIDs for the dipped beams.

Re: Hid vs led - 04/04/2019 14:12

Need to clean the optics inside, that is what made the difference to mine, okay they will never compete with new cars that seem to have harnessed the power of a small star LOL. Drove back from Gloucester last night in atrocious weather, felt pretty happy with the light output and coverage. I would definitely think about opening up the light units and cleaning the optics if I was you.

Re: Hid vs led - 08/04/2019 15:26

Originally Posted by Brigham
Hi guys, right then here be the latest for Rosa, had HID's on Rosa for about ten years, only dipped side, yes they were good, but had snags with FIAT electrics as the HID's kept resetting, Joe recommended the group buy LED's from Duncan. Bought four for both dipped and high beam, they were comparable to the HID's, but I felt they could be better, Joe, Duncan and I believed it is the age of the optics (foggy), and the outside cover becoming tarnished. Got a re-furbished set of headlight units from Marius Petrescu, they look like new, installed them on Rosa with the LED's, what a difference, I have never had such good lights on a coupe, perfect. Oh and Rosa flew through her MoT last week, before anyone says they will fail, no they won't, tester was well happy with the light spread and output.

Hi ,

Do you have any specs of the LED's you used?
I'am also interested in a better view.
Already got a re-furbushed set from Marius.

Re: Hid vs led - 11/04/2019 10:09

These were the Group Buy from Duncan at Classic Car LED's.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/co...eam-conversion-9-32v?variant=29880573255
Posted By: robcal

Re: Hid vs led - 15/04/2019 00:48

What do people use for their side lights? I got the LED bulbs from the group buy and have been pleased, but it's a shame that the side lights are completely different in colour to them.
Posted By: Yann

Re: Hid vs led - 22/04/2019 16:26

I bought these https://www.ebay.ie/itm/283107754871
They are bright and look good with my headlights LED (not from the group buys but similar).
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK