Fiat Coupe Club UK

Top coat won't harden

Posted By: respace

Top coat won't harden - 20/07/2020 15:48

I've tried refurbishing the B pillars, I used an etching primer and have tried a matt finish as the satin contrasted too much it looks good, however the top coat is still soft, marks every time I touch it. It's supposed to take 24hrs to fully harden but even after 72 it's still marking. Would a lacquer help?
Posted By: robertjock

Re: Top coat won't harden - 20/07/2020 19:26

Lacquer won't help, what kind of topcoat did you use, should have been dry to touch in half an hour, unless you used some kind of household enamel paint, like Hammerite or that Halfords stuff.
If it's still soft after 72hours, best taking it off and starting again,with proper 2 pack paint.

Re: Top coat won't harden - 22/07/2020 09:08

Thanks for the reply, I think it was a brand called Auto Extreme, I got it from somewhere in Ireland. Seemed really nice stuff to use, good quality spray/coverage but has stayed soft ie finger nail scratch. Fear it's back to square one as suggested.
Posted By: Rosso

Re: Top coat won't harden - 22/07/2020 12:43

Halfords satin black works very well and dries fairly quick too.

Re: Top coat won't harden - 22/07/2020 16:37

Thanks Brian, I took your advice first time and did just that, I thought the satin looked a little shiny when I put it against the lock and the seals so I thought I'd try a matt. The Halfrauds stuff was fine. Should have just painted the locks!
Posted By: Rosso

Re: Top coat won't harden - 22/07/2020 17:56

It goes on and looks shiny but does dry to a satin finish.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK