Fiat Coupe Club UK

Number plate

Posted By: Serg1

Number plate - 30/12/2021 12:31

Always had issues with how the coupe looks when it comes to the front number plate. To me first thing you see is this plate, spoils the look. This might be because of the shape of the bonnet and bumper. I believe the front looks so much better without this plate. Idea I might remove it and go down the E Type route and have a bonnet stick on, this would also mean removing the Fiat badge otherwise this plate would be to far up the bonnet. Has anyone done this? Other issue would this be legal?
Posted By: 1st_things_1st

Re: Number plate - 31/12/2021 09:02

I believe there are a few issues. On an E type the bonnet sticker plate is OK as the regulations were more relaxed before 1973, I think is the cut off date.

The number plate must be fixed in a vertical plane, or as near as practicable. It must conform to size and retro reflectivity regulations and most of all the plate material must pass tests, including its ability to withstand bending. A retro reflective sticker with the correct sized characters cannot conform to the standard required and be mounted in the correct plane on the bonnet.

Maybe the Italian plates of the era of our cars were smaller and so fitted the look better when designed? I agree the look is not integrated and more stuck on. Maybe the only other option is to have it offset like an Alfa? Is a removable number plate OK in the rules, so at shows you can have the clean look?

Re: Number plate - 03/01/2022 18:14

Thanks 1st_things_1st very helpful info.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Number plate - 04/01/2022 13:52

Don't put a number plate on the bonnet. Looks rubbish. It's been done once or twice and ruins the look of the car
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Number plate - 04/01/2022 18:47

Originally Posted by Begbie
Don't put a number plate on the bonnet. Looks rubbish. It's been done once or twice and ruins the look of the car

Must agree they look pants on the bonnet.
Posted By: respace

Re: Number plate - 05/01/2022 17:04

There was one around here who had the plate off centre a la Alfa, although I knew it always took me by surprise, 'Oh look it's coop, hang on it's an Alfa, no definately a coop, now wave! oh too late he's gone.'
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Number plate - 05/01/2022 19:53

Has anyone noticed some Italian cars (possibly just older ones) have a smaller Italian-style front plate fitted which definitely looks much better?
I have often wondered whether these are actually legal?

Re: Number plate - 08/01/2022 20:55

Cold light of day it does seem pants... might have to stay with original look and live with it.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Number plate - 08/01/2022 21:21

I seem to remember someone on here cutting out holes on the front plate to aid airflow to a front intercooler.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK