Fiat Coupe Club UK

An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic

Posted By: Anonymous

An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 12:58

I HATE to post about carbon on here, mainly owing to all the "£150 carbon bonnet GB's" however;

ive been looking at ways to re-trim my dash (im hearing told you so from some of you :D) I went to the MKiv supra forum where im also a member.

Someone on there had posted a very interesting thread about ways to cover any part of your car in carbon...
...Whilst im not pretending this is structural 3ply superweave uber carbon i am definately saying this is real.

The interesting thing ive found out is its real carbon woven into a thin fabric base. Meaning it can be layed, stretched and formed with supposed ease to fantastic effect.

Dont know if any of you are interested but if you follow the links throughout this linked topic;

Click

Phill
Posted By: benje

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 13:13

Originally Posted By: pfoe

...Whilst im not pretending this is structural 3ply superweave uber carbon i am definately saying this is real.

laugh

Excellent link, looks pretty good if I'm honest. So who's going to try it first? Could be an answer to all of those centre stacks with the flakey soft touch paint on them smile

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 14:18

hmmm, wonder if it'd strectch enough to cover the headlight insert thingys

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 14:30

Originally Posted By: owl10
hmmm, wonder if it'd strectch enough to cover the headlight insert thingys

It should...

Its pretty good, none of this heat gunning malarky either, just glue and apply....with care.

My mate on the mkiv supra forum has spoken to an american supplier and for 2 metres of it delivered is $96. From what i gather its about 0.7 metres wide as well.

Its also weather proof...

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 14:32

roll on payday...

I'm sure though the stereo recess would prove too much for the fabric though for 20vt centre consoles. Though this isnt a problem for me, as i already have a solution for that, which should be finished next week!

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 14:43

You say that, the supra dash has so many recesses, most of which at just under an inch deep that someone has formed it into.

Worth a shot if nothing else.

As soon as i hear from my mate about getting some into the UK i shall most definately give it a whirl on my car and post up the results.

BTW if someone says "will it cover a bonnet" and "ill start a group buy" my head will explode.

Re: An interesting read from a coupe-carbon cynic - 28/03/2009 19:07

Looks really good, and just the thing I'm looking for to improve my centre console. I've thought about painting it, but never been really struck on that.

This looks great though. Keep us informed smile A How To and Group Buy (eventually!) would be great smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK