Fiat Coupe Club UK

Removing the Ashtray

Posted By: Anonymous

Removing the Ashtray - 09/07/2010 20:14

Hi Guy,

Ive taken out my centre console... Not problems but im struggling to remove the ashray so that i can change the trim.. Any one know how this is done.

THeres loads on removing the centre console but non on removing the ashtray..

Please help
Posted By: bockers

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 09/07/2010 22:17

I presume you have got the lower bot of the console off too?

It is "quite easy"

remove the screws under the ashtray liner.
There are a couple more screws eaily seen on the top edge IIRC

Then remove the gear leaver gaiter and you will be able to feel the hidden screw heads in the corners. You need to access these from behind the console using the acces via the gaitor to guide the driver into the screw heads.

Getting it back in is a far bigger ordeal unless you make some modification to the ashtray unit.

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 09/07/2010 22:27

From this:-
click to enlarge

To this:-
click to enlarge

This means you can loosely engage the screw then fit the ashtray over them and do them up. Otherwise it is a mare to locate the screws and you will lose them under the carpet.

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 09/07/2010 23:04

The only piece i have managed to take off is the upper console, where the clocks are etc.

I got so anoyed with the ashtray part of it.. i had to put it all toghter and leave alone for a bit so i could calm down.

I dont usually struggle with stuff like this... so think my head got the better of me..

Thanks for the modification.. will deffinatley do that.. if i ever get the thing off.

Ha ha.. just had a closer look at the picof the ashtray. I take the four screws are all on the inside.

This looks a right nightmare
Posted By: Per

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 10/07/2010 00:00

Good thread, all this goes gloss black in a week. smile

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 08/10/2011 21:55

Originally Posted By: bockers
From this:-
click to enlarge

To this:-
click to enlarge

This means you can loosely engage the screw then fit the ashtray over them and do them up. Otherwise it is a mare to locate the crews and you will loose them under the carpet.

Hi , what was the previous pic as I'm struggling to identify what to do?

Cheers

Kenny

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 08/10/2011 22:17

make a cut. The previous pic shows a hole rather than a slot.

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 08/10/2011 22:20

click to enlarge

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 08/10/2011 22:30

Got it , it was the silver of the ashtray that disoriented me thumb
Posted By: Skiday

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 22/03/2022 22:56

I know this is a very old thread but the subject hasn't changed. I'd like to contribute with pictures - what is the best hosting site to use these days? Will Dropbox work?

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 22/03/2022 23:25

It seems there are so many websites billed as 'Free' only to find you can just have a 'free trial', but I have signed up to 'Icedrive.net' and that does seem to be genuinely free for limited use, so I've uploaded one pic and will try it here to see if it works. I've said it before though; it's a shame this forum doesn't host its own photos.

click to enlarge

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 22/03/2022 23:26

Well that seems not to have worked. Any ideas anyone?

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 22/03/2022 23:34

Well slightly embarrassing - I suppose I'm not the first and won't be the last to rush in with a question before looking for the answer, but I have now found out that this site does now host its own photos. Let's see if this works...

Attached picture DSCF1400.JPG

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 22/03/2022 23:36

BINGO - brilliant. Where the file manager says you are allowed 5 photos, I assume that is 5 per post and not 5 for ever! I will post tomorrow on my centre console exploits.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 23/03/2022 07:41

Originally Posted by Skiday
BINGO - brilliant. Where the file manager says you are allowed 5 photos, I assume that is 5 per post and not 5 for ever! I will post tomorrow on my centre console exploits.

Correct Andrew, 5 per post. The exception is in the Coupés For Sale section where the number is increased.

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 30/03/2022 17:20

I'm just about there getting everything back in, but I have a small clip that does not seem to have a home. I didn't notice it come out so I presume it fell out at some point, unless it is not related and somehow found its way in with the other parts from the job (unlikely). Does anyone recognise this little blighter:

Attached picture Clip.JPG
Posted By: Coupe330

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 09/06/2022 15:23

Slightly off topic but was wondering if there's any fix to the ashtray door which no longer holds at close position? Thanks in adance!
Posted By: ucoupia

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 10/06/2022 02:19

Had the same problem with mine,
the coil of the spring had increased in diameter and reduced the length of the long upper section of the spring so it was not seated high enough in the casing.
I removed the spring, decreased the diameter of the coiled section of the spring by pulling the upper straight section with a pair of pliers which increased the overall length of the spring so that it would seat in it`s original position, hope this helps.
Posted By: Coupe330

Re: Removing the Ashtray - 10/06/2022 06:13

Originally Posted by ucoupia
Had the same problem with mine,
the coil of the spring had increased in diameter and reduced the length of the long upper section of the spring so it was not seated high enough in the casing.
I removed the spring, decreased the diameter of the coiled section of the spring by pulling the upper straight section with a pair of pliers which increased the overall length of the spring so that it would seat in it`s original position, hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! I will give it a try. Thanks again!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK