Fiat Coupe Club UK

Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner

Posted By: Mark_S

Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 11:33

Hi, not looking for a black gunk or other horrible DIY produts. Seen the professionals use what almost looks like a solvent. One quick wipe over brings up that new look.

Patch - any ideas ?

Thanks

PS. Not really sure this is styling, more like cleaning detailing. Do we need a new section for this ?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 13:54

i use maguiars endurance high gloss tire protectant gel applyed with a damp sponge and this does the trick and lasts alot longer than any other products i have used .
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 14:47

To be perfectly honest here, you can clean tyres with soap & water. Costs practically nothing. Now if you want to go down the road of protecting the rubber, well there are various things on the market from rubber wax, tyre protector etc, etc. Some are quite expensive. All a bit over the top in my opinion, but hey there are worse things. I'm a tight git & silicon spray(cheap from work ;)) is good for this sort of thing. That waxoyl spray can be used to keep the tyres from cracking & making them look clean.

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 14:55

I'd go for tyre gel anyday as the silicone sprays like "Back to Black" are good but you end up getting over spray all over the car and I find to get a gloss finish I use so much it only lasts for a few washes and it ain't cheap.

I've used various types of tyre gel and there easy to apply and I have used maguirs which does a good job. With tyre gel just make sure you apply small amounts with a cloth and rub excess off or you'll have black splashes down the side of the car and on the wheels!

A mate of mine once used black shoe polish on bumpers, tyres, wind screen wipers etc......you can imagine what happened the first time it rained, what a muppet smile

Patch recommended "Black Wow" for black trim but not sure if it can be used on tyres?

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 15:18

The simple solution if you were worried about over spray is to spray onto sponge & then wipe said sponge onto tyre, simples laugh

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 15:23

Yes but then you end up with the shiniest fingers in the village smile

Other simple solution is, if you have kids get them to do it wink

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 15:26

Originally Posted By: Brett_B
Yes but then you end up with the shiniest fingers in the village smile

Other simple solution is, if you have kids get them to do it wink

Jings! there's no pleasing some tongue keep your fingers out of the way or wear gloves rolleyes laugh
Posted By: MrCooper

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 20:11

Mark,

You want Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel. Its purple and can be purchased from Halfrauds.

It is the best. Looks great, lasts for ages. Apply with an applicator sponge (not a cloth) for best results. It's not a quick wipe over, but trust me its the best out there. With respect to Patch, I know what he uses and although its faster to put on its not a "patch" on the endurance gel.

Steve

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 20:16

I use Autoglym Bumper Care. It's not too shiny and yes, it's a quick wipe over jobby, lasts a week or so. Mr Cooper's suggestion is good though smile
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 20:18

Steve, thanks, I do recall the product I saw being applied had a purple hue.

cheers
Mark
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 12/09/2010 20:42

I use Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel, great stuff - wear gloves though, as it's messy stuff.
Posted By: MrCooper

Re: Recommend me a tyre wall cleaner - 13/09/2010 13:18

Yeah - I always apply using the mechanic's gloves you can get. Generally very handy things. The megs stuff has a sweet smell that permeates the skin - not nice.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK