Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rollcage Fitting

Posted By: Begbie

Rollcage Fitting - 14/06/2006 18:47

Thought i would start a little blog / day by day of trying to fit a rollcage to the coupe.

Started yesterday and managed to rip out most of the rear interior (shocking at how much of the chassis isnt painted) before it poured down with rain and stopped play. Started again today and finished off the rear of the interior (C pillar trim, rear wiper motor, seatbelts and centre console) Just stopped to have a bit of food and to go back out and finish the dash off!!!

So a few piccies of my progress :

Rollcage bought summer last year
Easy Part 1
Easy Part 2
Near side yesterday
Offside yesterday
Near side today
Offside today
Fergie's grommit
Centre Console removed
Posted By: Nellybear

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 14/06/2006 19:22

Do you ever work ????

Looking good mate... keep it up
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 14/06/2006 19:37

begbie,

where did you get that excellent r/cage ?

is it the OMP one ?

cheers.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:04

Of course i do work, it's just i have taken a week off work to get some work done on the coupe.

Pistole, yes the cage is an OMP one.

End result of today

It's ready to come off, except it seems to be stuck on the heater matrix at the top. There is a tube type thingy that takes the air to the vents on top of the dash, now it seems to be in the middle of this and sits on top of the heater matrix is stopping it from lifting but i cant see the top of the heater matrix and have been feeling by hand, but cant find what seems to be holding it down, anyone got any ideas?
Posted By: JimO

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:07

So you have managed to get everything out except the gearknob, they are a bugger aren't they

I'd say its looking good, but uurrrmm, it's getting there, you must have some patience
Posted By: JohnS

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:13

Quote:

anyone got any ideas?

tear the dash out by force

Heater matricies are for wimps!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:16

Quote:

Quote:

anyone got any ideas?

tear the dash out by force

Heater matricies are for wimps!

Well i'm currently looking through the coupe workshop manual at the moment and it isnt being a lot of help, so brute force and ignorance maybe used

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:35

I stripped out the interior on my bravo for its respray, dash out etc, that was actually stuck in and it sounds like what you have here...

its like double sided foam just need to be brutal, but i dont know if you have a fixing there or not as i havent done the coupe dash. i kept pulling it back and forth the it started to losen... try this first, if it starts to losen i am pretty sure its just that foam stuff.

good luck.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:36

also are you rallying this thing or something???

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 00:44

Quote:

its like double sided foam just need to be brutal, but i dont know if you have a fixing there or not as i havent done the coupe dash. i kept pulling it back and forth the it started to losen... try this first, if it starts to losen i am pretty sure its just that foam stuff.

Yeah there is foam there, can see it, it's lifted away quite freely at either edge of the dashboard, it's just stuck in the middle, which is where i can feel its connected to the heater matrix in someway, but the manual cd doesnt list having to disconnect it from there.

As for rallying it, nah, just making it a trackday nutter of a coupe

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 18:30

Lunch time piccies

Stripped 1
Stripped 2

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 19:23

You got one shiney knob to grab there begbie Hope you bought some racing gloves for better grip!

Looks all good, when i did the wiring to the rear of my coop i blitzed the floor panels that i got to with wetwipes that had antibacterial in them to get all the gunk off and left them sparkley and a quick wet wash of the carpet where i could as so much stuff comes off them when you hose them down it could be an extra 1kg you save in wieght and it all helps!!!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 22:56

Well i have gone a little bit more crazy with the weight reduction than I first thought Decided to pretty much remove all of the sound deadening (apart from the firewall) and done about half of the car so far

Pic 1
Pic 2

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 15/06/2006 23:58

Your gonna have to tie it down on windy days at this rate.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 00:00

Did exactly the same thing in my grale, Its suprising how much that stuff weighs. Stick it all in a bag at the end and you'll be suprised.

Heater matrix and all the fan gubbins also weigh a ton. Theres normally metal reinforcing behind the bumpers which can be binned. Hoping to get the grale down to around a ton.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 00:20

Quote:

Well i have gone a little bit more crazy with the weight reduction than I first thought Decided to pretty much remove all of the sound deadening (apart from the firewall) and done about half of the car so far

Pic 1
Pic 2

That's one hell of an induction run.

Begbie you're a nutter

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 00:45

Is that sticky stuff meant to sound deaden?? i hated it when i was under my carpet its so crud and sticks to anything and is a bee atch to get off again!grr stupid things! Looking good though!!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 01:10

begbie... what you planning at!!!!! ..... those grommets can go

Paul R
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 01:57

I'm with Skins Begbie.........

you're as mad as a hatter muwahahahaha

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 03:01

Have to admire your commitment Begbie ! I've thought about a roll cage for mine, but seeing your photos has put me off somewhat . Might get rid of the sound-proofing as you have done when I have the carpet up though .

Phil

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 06:02

champion !
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 06:11

I don't think the missus would have approved keep it up.
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 06:46

Will it ever get to see a trackday though? Once it's finished, DO NOT attend a Coupe meet first, you know what will happen (again)

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 22:07

Quote:

Have to admire your commitment Begbie ! I've thought about a roll cage for mine, but seeing your photos has put me off somewhat

And just to put you off a little more :

Cage Trail Fitted
Gap 1
Gap 2

The gaps are like this on all 4 mounting plates, so additional plates will have to be made / modified to actually to be able to weld it to the sill, and there was me thinking this is just a bolt in cage!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 16/06/2006 23:46

It's certainly going to look good when it is fitted, but those gaps are . Might as well buy a weld-in one if you are going to have to do that much modification !

I take it that you will be painting it an appropriate colour before final install, as it look a bit like very expensive scaffold poles at the moment .

Phil

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 17/06/2006 00:42

nice gaps beggars - who's going to do the welding? they'd be sensible to cut off the current triangle side parts and make some new bits to take up that egge space - you'll need to clean the area of paint, strip it to metal and prime it with some weld through primer - I used UPOL weld #2 its expensive but meant to be good.

rich

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 17/06/2006 09:08

be careful with that cage , it being so far 'out'.

I've heard of a few cases where with the cage in , either
the doors cannot fit and/or the sunroof cannot get on or
something else like that .

cheers and good effort.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 17/06/2006 15:45

Begbie,

are you going to refit the roof lining, rear seats etc?

General Q: is the rollcage meant to come very close (see touch) roof and all bits around?

cheers

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 18/06/2006 19:11

I dont have a sunroof so that doesnt bother me

As for rear seats, not possible due to the way the cage bolts to the rear wheel arch, as for the roof lining, im sure i will put it back, but the pain of it is that i cant have my sun visors or rear view mirror, so need to come up with something for that.

This cage fitting is going to be put on hold for the time being due to the extra bits and pieces that need doing, so more updates sometime soon

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 18/06/2006 19:28

Fold out curved bits of wood lol

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 19/06/2006 05:40

sunvisors is a well known problem... Had to live without them when I fitted a cage in my Seat Ibiza (god that was 20yrs ago...)

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 07/08/2006 18:27

Well another week off work to carry on with yet more work on the coupe, so first things first, getting rid of the gaps on the mounting plates, this was simple enough as i ground all the welded nuts on the plate and decided that the rollcage is going to be welded in and not bolted now

Better Gap 1
Better Gap 2

Also a good time to clean up the rear by painting it, so there is same colour throughout the car, rather than patchy yellow / black / grey.. also bearing in mind this is only the first coat

Rear Shelf Before
Rear Shelf Afterwards
Back Bench Before
Back Bench After
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 07/08/2006 18:55

You should make a web page (if you find the time ) with all these updates together Begbie.

Did you have an initial post with your plans for this project. I see roll cage and ditching seats, are you going to race it?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 08/08/2006 22:37

Trappy, i'd already thought of that, could keep everything together, as well as hosting video's and stuff that no doubt i will be making etc.. maybe one day in the near future i can do so, but not for the time being

Anyway more pics today, painting and removing more sound deading, fun! Neighbour popped around and is going to do the welding for me, will be done in stages, some thu eve, then fri eve then sat when im not going to be about, gulp!

How i took delivery of the cage last year
Front Half Today
Closer shot of front half
Joining Tubes
Rear Half
Rear Half again
Rear Cross Section
Both Halves Together Finished

Passenger Footwell (not finished)
Drivers Footwell
Lack of Sound Deadening

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 08/08/2006 22:40

DANG!! How much are you expecting it to weigh when you've finished mate? 1100 ish kg?

Oh and I hope that fly in the 3rd pic isn't a permanent feature now its dried .

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 09/08/2006 16:06

still cant get that gear knob off

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 10/08/2006 22:01

Civic, no idea on the finished weight, as long as its 1200kg or lighter, im happy, but the fly isn't a permanent feature, although a couple of greenfly's (but black) have made there way onto the cage.

Joel, no need to take the gear knob off, it's easy to do with the momo ones, unscrew the bottom and remove the grub screw, job done

Nothing to really say apart from the floors are now clear of the residue from the sound deading and the plates have now been welded in place, tomorrow, the cage goes in and becomes a permanent feature

Cleanier Floors
Welded Plate 1
Welded Plate 2

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 11/08/2006 23:40

Well the rollcage is in and 8 of the 10 fixing points have been done! 4 have been welded and 4 have been bolted, the other 2 need to be welded tomorrow along with the door bars.

Painted and In!
Welded to plate 1
Welded to plate 2
Roof bolted
B Pillar bolted

Now the next problem that has been discovered is the doors require a fair bit of force to shut them. The passenger side isnt too bad, just a slightly hard push to get it to close properly, but the drivers side, oh dear, let's just say the door card is going to need to be trimmed / cut / butchered to clear the B pillar bar, which is also resulting in the door being pushed out slightly at the bottom.

Bar touching door card
Door pushed out

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 12/08/2006 02:02

interesting job begbie that must have taken some serious designing and time,that welding looks a bit rough like, bet its solid now though?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 12/08/2006 18:59

er beggars, you got a grinder? tidy up those welds.

Dump the door cards and put a sheet of carbon look sheet in place, with a cut out for the handle, and a webbing loop for a close handle.

I think I see the difference, but perhaps not worth the cost tho eh beggars
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/sediciRich/IMG_0038.jpg

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 13/08/2006 18:11

Quote:

interesting job begbie that must have taken some serious designing and time,that welding looks a bit rough like, bet its solid now though?

No designing on my behalf, bought the cage from Demon Thieve's who ordered it from OMP.

As for the welding? Who cares, a neighbour is doing me a favor and reasonably cheap. As for carbon door cards, yeah alright

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 13/08/2006 20:48

Whats the position with weld in and bolt in roll cages and the MOT.Is it legal and MOT Legal to have one in the car?

Here in Ireland its not allowed to have a weld in roll cage in the car.It will fail the NCT (National Car Test).

We just about get passed with a bolt in half cage over here/

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 14/08/2006 00:10

Over here its ok, Even the WRC have Mot's as some events consist of public roads.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 14/08/2006 03:03

carbon look you fool!! much cheaper

rich

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 14/08/2006 06:47

very nice.

it'll be interesting to see how the handling of the car
changes with this amount of stiffening.

cheers.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 21/12/2006 22:00

3 months on and a bit of time off work over the festive period has got me back outside to actually put the dashboard back into the coupe and clear the spare room out of the centre console etc..

Now i knew that the dashboard would have to be cut up a bit, but not quite to the extent i have gone. There is about 2.5" off the top / side of the dash to get it to slide past the front A bars, then the small heater vents for the windows needed to be chopped, the centre air vent which does the front window and side vents needs a bit of trimming (because the angle of the dashboard when going back in is different, things haven't gone back the same way it came out) and had to do a bit of trimming on the crossmember.

Drivers Side
Passenger Side
View from the front window
Cross member modified
Drivers side dash
Upside down dashboard
Centre vent trimmed
Window heater trimmed

So still a bit of work to do, i need to put the brackets that hold the dash to the cross member back on (these had to be removed and chopped up) to allow fitting, then put everything back on the dash, centre console, carpet (front only) then i might be near finishing the interior

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 21/12/2006 22:17

Just out of interest - why are you bothering to put the whole dash back in?

Have you crossed the point where you wonder whether it has been worth the effort?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 21/12/2006 22:55

Am i not allowed to still have a glove box, a normal-ish dash, heater controls and stereo?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 21/12/2006 23:37

Don't ask me

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2006 02:29

Nice work Beggars, good to see it coming along now.

You could have cut your dash a bit straighter, but never mind.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2006 04:41

Nice work Begbie ! Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at a track sometime next year .

Phil

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2006 12:26

Quote:

Nice work Begbie ! Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at a track sometime next year .

Phil

next year you surely mean 2008!

God, Mr. Begbie speed up a bit, have you started puting the engine together yet?

V.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2006 03:33

Looking fairly tidy beggars, not as texas chainsaw massacre as i'd thought.

rich

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 30/12/2006 02:23

Seems almost a waste to spend all that time, money and effort to then blow it up a week after getting it back on the road

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/01/2007 20:42

And a couple more, just trail fit of the seat and 3" 4 point harnesses :

Offside
Nearside

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/04/2007 21:08

Door bars are painted and now fitted, doorcards chopped up slightly, the centre light pod is now in at the top (albeit needed trimming due to it fouling on the bar running along the roof) rear view mirror is in but had to make an extension bracket, no idea what im going to do about the sunvisors, oh well \:\)

Drivers door
Passenger door
Passenger side again
Butchered door card
Butchered door card 2

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 04:01

butchered indeed \:\(
I'd personally bend the crossmember ever so slightly to avoid all this butchering around the speaker grille

When is the engine getting in there then?

V.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 11:23

Originally Posted By: Begbie
no idea what im going to do about the sunvisors, oh well \:\)

After a quick search I came up with a few solutions

Option 1
Option 2 (and these are more your style)

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 12:06

comeon Jimbo, lets face it you don't need sunvisors up there, you don't have enough of the basic ingredient-the sun \:P

Serious, Bebgie most of the race prepared cars I've seen didn't have visors. Which is indeed a problem in your case with the sun running low for long periods of time...

V.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 15:12

looks good, minimal cutting really.

rich

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 22:06

I reckon it looks bloody good \:\)

Is it gonna be road legal?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 22:53

Yep, will be road legal \:\)
Posted By: Flea

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/04/2007 23:49

It really does look the business and I dare say this could be the best handling coupé once it is finished with some serious power to boot
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 12:43

Having seen the amount of work going into the front part of the rollcage.
I was thinking about cutting the front legs off the front half of rollcage to save removing the dash.
Then fitting the front part down in through the dash,then fit some joining collars like the rear cage to front cage ones, to re fit front legs.
After which a few bolts and welds to secure.

I will be having a professional welder helping.Not that he knows it yet wave

Great thread Alexis by the way.
Posted By: RusH

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 16:08

Holy thread resurrection Batman!
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 19:45

Originally Posted By: RusH

smile
Posted By: andyps

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 20:46

As the thread has been resurrected I may as well ask a question - is it possible to refit the rear seats with the cage in place? I am tempted to fit one for hill climbing but want to stay in the ckass which requires a full interior to be fitted, although it doesn't have to be usable.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 22:03

Originally Posted By: RusH

THIS imo is what this club is about!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 22/12/2013 23:06

Originally Posted By: andyps
As the thread has been resurrected I may as well ask a question - is it possible to refit the rear seats with the cage in place? I am tempted to fit one for hill climbing but want to stay in the ckass which requires a full interior to be fitted, although it doesn't have to be usable.

I've begbie a shout mate because I can't remember if he still has his fitted either that or look through the pictures on here there must me one some where.

As for cutting the front legs and welding them back on this could be a good idea but may have trouble with clearance when it comes to welding them back on depending where you cut.

Either way should be good to see it done so all the best mate

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 09:12

I would say yes,but be prepaired to butcher the seats extremely.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 09:18

Originally Posted By: magooagain

Got to agree with Joe on this. It could be possible, but you would have to cut up the seats quite a bit, as the rear part of the cage mounts on the rear wheel arches, which is what the seat / rear trim covers.

Joe, whilst the idea sounds feasible, I think you would lose some of the integrity / strength in the front legs and god forbid if you were in an accident, what would happen to the front legs?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 09:25

Yes its crossed my mind about an accident. But as the cage is joined in the middle by an over tube i was hoping that a similar join or a stronger one would be ok.

I will chew it over with Joe at some point.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 14:17

I guess if the cut is braced and sleeved then it should be as strong or even stronger in that area than before due to the extra material. She what the welder has to say

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 15:22

What Cage are you going for? An OMP off the shelf item or full custom?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 16:28

I have an OMP cage,the same as begbie.
Just given it 2 coats of red oxide.

I will do some trial runs with varous lenths of wood to try and work out where the cut should be.

Not sure,but i am thinking about trying to find a way of cutting just one leg off.

Hopefully i will have a play about with it next week.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 17:30

I will do some trial runs with varous lenths of wood to try and work out where the cut should be.

Not sure,but i am thinking about trying to find a way of cutting just one leg off.

I wouldn't cut anything. You want to keep as much strength in the cage as possible.

I'll be buying a cage for mine after Xmas, and wouldn't consider cutting any of it. You only have to search for cage related disasters from poor fitting etc to know not to touch them!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 18:20

Originally Posted By: tom_snelling

I wouldn't cut anything. You want to keep as much strength in the cage as possible.

I'll be buying a cage for mine after Xmas, and wouldn't consider cutting any of it. You only have to search for cage related disasters from poor fitting etc to know not to touch them!

I understand your concerns Tom. I have the same concerns. Thats why i will be consulting with a proffessional welder.

What's your thoughts on the cage being in two halves?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 19:57

Originally Posted By: tom_snelling

I understand your concerns Tom. I have the same concerns. Thats why i will be consulting with a proffessional welder.

What's your thoughts on the cage being in two halves?

I suppose theres not a lot that can be done with that. Im pretty sure the cage complies (ied) with motorsport regs if installed and inspected so should be ok.

Like I say Ive not ordered mine yet so cant comment much further until I get it.

I would just whip the dash out, fit the cage and then refit as in this thread.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 23/12/2013 20:48

Get some pics up - always interested to see a project!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 24/12/2013 01:26

Got to agree with Joe on this. It could be possible, but you would have to cut up the seats quite a bit, as the rear part of the cage mounts on the rear wheel arches, which is what the seat / rear trim covers.

Joe, whilst the idea sounds feasible, I think you would lose some of the integrity / strength in the front legs and god forbid if you were in an accident, what would happen to the front legs?

Thanks for the replies, I thought that would be the case. If I go ahead I will try to get some cheap seats which won't matter if they are hacked about - that has to be allowed in the regs but what I can 't do is not have the interior in place.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 24/12/2013 08:47

Andy have a good look at Begbie's photo's. You will so what is stripped out and what wont go back in.
B pillar covers/grab handles is something that may not go back in.

But i imagine that you can cut about all the stuff to make it look as though the interior is in there.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 24/12/2013 11:30

Heres a thought..
What if you cut down all four legs just alittle bit to avoid rubbing against A pillars and roof. Take out the complete dashboard and cut like on Begbies car, get your welder to mod the center pillars to clear the doors, get a upolstery shop tu mod rear seat (you can have zippers on outside of bars)
Lay down new sound deadening, get your upolstery guy to lay seem around edges where the pillars are etc. With a bit imagination and fiddeling about you can do this. May the force be with you cool

Merry christmas!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 26/12/2013 10:10

@AndyPS

I have several interiors, and several rear cards - some are shabby, but would be good for experimenting.

You can have some for free if you can collect

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 28/12/2013 13:21

Thanks Nigel, when I get to cage stage I'll get in touch.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 30/12/2013 07:30

I am just starting to get ready the area's for welding the mounting brackets in place.The white mastic is stubborn stuff!

The angled pieces of metal on the bracket really are poorly attached by just using a tiny spot weld on the corners.

I gave it a tap and it started to bend. So i think the next job is to strenthen the bracket before i weld it to the coupe.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 30/12/2013 18:55

I am just starting to get ready the area's for welding the mounting brackets in place.The white mastic is stubborn stuff!

The angled pieces of metal on the bracket really are poorly attached by just using a tiny spot weld on the corners.

I gave it a tap and it started to bend. So i think the next job is to strenthen the bracket before i weld it to the coupe.

A drill mounted wire wheel is what you need, I've been removing that from my car today!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 30/12/2013 20:42

Its all off now. Cage is in but not welded in yet.

I have a few bits to do to get it to sit right in the morning.

I will post a few pics at some point.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 30/12/2013 21:40

Pics pics pics :-)

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 01/01/2014 09:49

I managed to get the cage totally ready for welding yesterday.

There was a fair bit of cutting invovled. But i am reasonably happy with the result and i think i can glue some bits back in later.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge This pic looks as though i took to much out(nearside) i did this to allow the driverside cage leg to get around the corner of the dash.click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge So there we are,allredy for welding. It has taken me about 3 days to get this stage. Its a job i did with mixed feelings really. With cutting the dash out and removing the interior know that there is no going back to my nice comfy coupe. But i get great enjoyment on track and i am really looking forward to getting the coupe to its next stage of development.
Harness fitting is the next job.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 01/01/2014 14:03

I cant see what your thinking of cutting but my professional advice is do not cut anything. Especially a front leg or any part of the main structure. (Hoop.front legs.rear legs.screen tube)

If you change the design of any type of homologated cage then its homologation will be void. And more importantly without professional advice on fittings the cage will likely not be safe in a crash.

I run a motorsport fabrication company specialising in custom rollcages. If u want some advice mail me info@nicksonmotorsport.co.uk

I am likely to be making a cage for my 20vt soon as I am turning into track car. I will post pics up of the process on this forum. For anyone interested in buying a cage I could fabricate more than one.

Have a look at my website www.nicksonmotorsport.co.uk

hope me posting this is ok with mods. Im happy to do a group buy through forum if required. I am a 20vt owner and not just looking to sell. I just thought I would offer professional advice on cage fitting etc as its my buisness.

Nick

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 01/01/2014 14:47

I got the cage in without having to cut it anywhere.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 02/01/2014 09:19

Hi Nick

Some nice looking cars you've worked on there smile I'm not too far down the road from you either if you need to have a poke around mine to get some idea's for your 20vt.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 02/01/2014 21:52

might take you up on that mate, would like to have a spin in a coupe with some decent power!

i spent 2 hours this eve stripping the interior of the car. literally got everything out bar the dash.

will start fabricating cage mounts and seat rails soon, as and when i have time. got the horrid job of removing the sound deadening at some point. always a nightmare!

shall i start a project thread? couldnt see how to do it?

cheers
nick

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 03/01/2014 09:06

Nick, I've given you permission for the project area. Drop me a PM and I'll tell you what to do and possibly arrange for me to pop down and see you

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 03/01/2014 16:26

Nick if you give the sound deadening a tap with a heavy masonary chisel ( no hammer)it just shatters off. Try to get the floor to resonate like a drum.
Odd akward bit but not to bad a job really.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 05/01/2014 17:44

i have done it many times before, some stuff comes off in chunks like you say when hit with a hammer, also helps if its very cold.

other stuff is a nightmare and very strong/soft and has to be heated and removed with a scraper, which always leaves a residue which can be a nightmare to clean off afterwards.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 06/01/2014 10:04

Meths worked fine for me cleaning that residue off

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 06/01/2014 12:01

Brake cleaner and a wire wheel has sorted mine out, could eat my dinner off of it at the moment!

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 09/01/2014 19:31

And a couple more, just trail fit of the seat and 3" 4 point harnesses :

Offside
Nearside

Are these seats normal fiat recaros does anyone know? I need something like these with harness strap holes.

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 10/01/2014 09:15

Nah, they were part of the Carreli group buy seats a long time back
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 11/02/2014 11:24

Originally Posted By: nickson
I cant see what your thinking of cutting but my professional advice is do not cut anything. Especially a front leg or any part of the main structure. (Hoop.front legs.rear legs.screen tube)

If you change the design of any type of homologated cage then its homologation will be void. And more importantly without professional advice on fittings the cage will likely not be safe in a crash.

I run a motorsport fabrication company specialising in custom rollcages. If u want some advice mail me info@nicksonmotorsport.co.uk

I am likely to be making a cage for my 20vt soon as I am turning into track car. I will post pics up of the process on this forum. For anyone interested in buying a cage I could fabricate more than one.

Have a look at my website www.nicksonmotorsport.co.uk

hope me posting this is ok with mods. Im happy to do a group buy through forum if required. I am a 20vt owner and not just looking to sell. I just thought I would offer professional advice on cage fitting etc as its my buisness.

Nick

Any news Nick? Will you make a roll cage for the Coupé?

Re: Rollcage Fitting - 26/02/2014 12:20

Here are some photo's of the rollcage instalation.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK