Fiat Coupe Club UK

Larger intercooler

Posted By: Anonymous

Larger intercooler - 12/02/2012 08:41

Hi guys,

Just wondering about larger intercoolers and whether they can have a negative effect on the engine if I replace the standard one with a larger one.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Larger intercooler - 12/02/2012 09:33

Hi James

On the contrary, it should further protect the engine by providing improved cooling. There's not really any need though unless you're going to run either more boost or a larger turbo. It may increase turbo lag slightly on the downside.

Re: Larger intercooler - 21/02/2012 10:56

Hi Gents,
I have a big FMIC (11 liters) mounted on my orignal TB28 turbo.

There is no negative affect so far.

The turbo spools same as before. Minimum improvement is noticeable.
I propose using a closed dump valve as the Forge DV006. With an open circulation the turbo needs a long time to react (around 4000-5000 rpm).

Re: Larger intercooler - 21/02/2012 22:23

which size (HxLxD) fits between front bumper and coupè frame
without major issue?
Posted By: JohnS

Re: Larger intercooler - 23/02/2012 14:58

It depends on the intercooler design as if it causes a large impedance then it will affect performance. Large intercoolers are a trade-off of better cooling versus greater impedance and on a small turbo the cost may outweigh the benefit.
Should try a lager intercooler instead, very useful on a hot summers day laugh
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Larger intercooler - 23/02/2012 15:51

James,
If you don't plan on fitting a larger turbo then I wouldn't fit a FMIC on a standard turbo, it will only make it feel more laggy.
You would be better off fitting an uprated side mount intercooler, this will give you improved cooling but keep the standard induction length so shouldn't alter how the car feels.

Have a look at the traders section, I believe Joe (countrycruising) is developing an uprated SMIC for the coupe.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK