Fiat Coupe Club UK

Turbo Dynamics

Posted By: Anonymous

Turbo Dynamics - 14/02/2012 15:55

Hi Guys,

After some discussion between Nigel and myself he was keen for us to sign up to this forum to offer the members not just some good prices on turbos but also some technical advice where we can.

We are very grateful to have dedicated customers like Nigel doing alot of work in getting our name out there but sometimes it's difficult to know which way to turn when it comes to turbos. Hopefully we can help.

If you have any questions please PM me on here or if you have an urgent enquiry please email me direct on matt@turbodynamics.co.uk and I'll get back to you ASAP.

In order to see what sort of turbos are of most interest to members lets start a list of likely suspects. Once we know what units are going to prove popular we can advise on pricing!

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 14/02/2012 16:20

Hi Matt - good to see you on here - I'm sure you'll be asked lots of questions about turbo options and configuration.

For any interested members, I found Matt's technical knowledge and experience of turbo applications on other marques particularly useful when trying to determine a spec for my new turbo

However, please don't just ask "what's the best turbo for my car?" - you'll need to know more than that, such as what supporting mods you have (or intend to have), what the car is used for, what driving traits you're looking for etc.

For example, a small turbo such as a GT2860 will deliver a thump in the back that feels great and on a tight, twisty track, would probably be very quick indeed. A bigger turbo will deliver boost in a more gradual manner, so it feels more like a strong surge than a hefty kick. Ultimately, the big turbo will deliver more power and thus create a faster car, but only in some circumstances. There are times when the smaller-turbo'd car will actually be quicker.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 15/02/2012 09:33

Nigel is quite right the best turbo is the one which works best with what you are intending using the car for and your supporting mods. This is where our abilities to put something bespoke together come into their own as there are times where an off the shelf product can be improved and tailored to suit a specific vehicle.

The quickest car is not necessarily the one with the most power.
Posted By: technics

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 15/02/2012 23:39

Hi there, trying to PM you and it says you have reached your limit.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 16/02/2012 16:23

Originally Posted By: technics
Hi there, trying to PM you and it says you have reached your limit.

Weird, our inbox is empty...how can I help? Feel free to send me an email if you'd prefer...

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 16/02/2012 18:14

new members are limited on there in box until they have posted x amount of posts .

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 16/02/2012 19:10

Not wanting to be negative here but i used to use your company years back as did another well known trader on here.
The service was great as was the price but when one of your lads left to go to CR Turbos the service went down and the price went up.

Between us we spent 4 figures a month with yourselves,but haven't now for years.
I last spoke to you around 7 months ago and it took ages for you to identify the turbo and the price was silly although you did have the part in stock and would dispatch the same day.

I run a small company but your company has prob lost circa 50k in the time i haven't used you and i haven't had one phone call to ask why.

That to me is a concern as if you don't need my business then would you look after me if one of your units failed.

Again im not slating your company,you have a good name and many happy customers.
But personally i thought i would have a rant about loyalty and customer service and hope its improved for repeat users.

Please prove me wrong!!!!!!

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 17/02/2012 20:00

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo
Not wanting to be negative here but i used to use your company years back as did another well known trader on here.
The service was great as was the price but when one of your lads left to go to CR Turbos the service went down and the price went up.

Between us we spent 4 figures a month with yourselves,but haven't now for years.
I last spoke to you around 7 months ago and it took ages for you to identify the turbo and the price was silly although you did have the part in stock and would dispatch the same day.

I run a small company but your company has prob lost circa 50k in the time i haven't used you and i haven't had one phone call to ask why.

That to me is a concern as if you don't need my business then would you look after me if one of your units failed.

Again im not slating your company,you have a good name and many happy customers.
But personally i thought i would have a rant about loyalty and customer service and hope its improved for repeat users.

Please prove me wrong!!!!!!

Thank you for your feedback, you raise some valid concerns and points and I'm happy to respond but I am having some problems getting to the bottom of what has gone on in the past. Under what company name did you used to deal with us (feel free to PM or email me if you'd prefer) so I can investigate things further? I can find no trace of either JC Car Sales or Midland Car Servicing on our computer system so I'm assuming it was under a different title but without this I am more than a little stumped at present.

We all need a rant from time to time. Customer service is important to us as a company and good customer service should promote loyalty (although this is not always the case in the current economic climate - price is king to a large degree nowadays). We do not claim to be the cheapest in the turbo market but we do pride ourselves on the quality of the product we offer. This is shown in our warranty returns rate which is less than half a percent as we do not cut corners, this can be seen as being fussy or ultimately pricey but the results speak for themselves. We know of a 'cheaper' company with a warranty returns rate pushing nearly twenty percent!  

Interestingly we are not on this forum with the sole intention of touting for business ,although we are happy to offer discounts to members (I do not even work in the sales department here at Turbo Dynamics!). We would like to be able to offer some help and guidance to members of the forum (even if we don't get a sale out of it) when it comes to turbochargers as these are often misunderstood and a lot of misinformation is available. Nigel has been talking to me recently about writing some sort of technical piece for the forum about turbo technology and this is something I am keen to do.   

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 17/02/2012 20:20

Lol
Ok then,i will get my accountant to dig out the invoices on Monday and Scan these across to you.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 17/02/2012 20:33

Lol
Ok then,i will get my accountant to dig out the invoices on Monday and Scan these across to you.

No need for that, just the company name will be fine so I can find you in our system - assuming we are talking post summer 2006 when we switched to our current system

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 18/02/2012 13:16

Well as you have made the effort to respond,then my numbers below.
Make some time in the week and i mean at least half an hour and i will be happy to explain all the issues.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 19/02/2012 19:52

Well as you have made the effort to respond,then my numbers below.
Make some time in the week and i mean at least half an hour and i will be happy to explain all the issues.

I am more than happy to have a constructive discussion next week but before I do so I would like to do a little more research this end. If I am armed with all the knowledge I can gather then I'm in a better position to answer any questions you may have. Can you please confirm the company details you used to buy from us under?

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 19/02/2012 21:31

Pm sent,.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 19/02/2012 21:38

TD PM sent.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 19/02/2012 22:24

click to enlarge

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 20/02/2012 16:09

Originally Posted By: technics
TD PM sent.

Replied!

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 20/02/2012 16:12

Pm sent,.

Not received yet

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 11:17

I think the most popular turbos are still the hybrids due to just being able to bolt them on without any modifications having to be made to fit them

perhaps some prices on the following specs of turbo's would be of interest to forum members

1) rebuilt turbo with uprated seals and 360 thrust bearing and 60mm 60trim compressor wheel with machined compressor housing, standard turbine wheel

2) as above but with 62trim 60mm (gt28rs) compressor wheel

3) 62trim compressor wheel and larger 76trim turbine wheel, (both wheels from gt28rs) again with uprated seals
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 13:04

I second Dougs request.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 15:05

also interested in the above prices....

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 17:23

Also interested

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 17:34

Im interested too on rebuild prices to stage 1-3.
Not really into tuning and not after big power gains. Something that can run on uprated SMIC like Joe has had made up.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 19:19

Phil,
I reckon you won't be able to go to Stage 2 or 3 without a FMIC. Even with an uprated SMIC I'm not sure you'll get the required cooling.....

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 19:34

Ok thanks Tim
stage 1 then it is if i go down this road , only thinking about it as due a turbo rebuild at some point this year.
Really not bothered about power and only have remap for the fuel and drivability aspect ,couldnt care less if i ended up with 10Bhp extra.
As you can tell really not fan of tuning , been in lots of 600+ bhp cars and its not for the road.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 19:42

Joe seems to think that his new uprated SMIC will be sufficient to be used with the stage 2 turbo.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 19:45

Phil,
I might be wrong.... I don't think Joe has fully tested the capability of his new SMIC yet, but I'm sure something will be on his forum thread soon. I will watch with interest,

Tim

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/02/2012 19:57

Ok im just looking at 360 bearing and stagered seals , for if i run decat. Yeah been looking at his post about it but again im not to fussed.
Dont get me wrong i admire and respect the work involved in tuning just not for me , on what is road car for me. Also for me the coupe is about styling why i have always liked them.

Should of brought a Noble when i had the money to do so ,now that i would tune a little.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 22/02/2012 19:51

Hi,

Pm sent.
Posted By: plasticomnium

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 23/02/2012 10:15

Originally Posted By: cheech
Im interested too on rebuild prices to stage 2-3.

PM sent.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 27/02/2012 15:10

Excuse my ignorance...is this something the 16V guys can get involved in?

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 27/02/2012 16:26

Originally Posted By: duncan146
Excuse my ignorance...is this something the 16V guys can get involved in?

Absolutely - yes - Turbo Dynamics can supply lots of turbo options for the 16vt

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 28/02/2012 22:33

hi i was really looking forward to seing rough specs and prices and characteristics, ie how hybrid stage 3 compaires to gt28,s and billit/gtx gt30,s, i was woundering what for me would be the ultimate turbo,

i am running a stage 3 set up with the usual saporting mods just now but wanted to know how much it would cost me to upgrade for my dream turbo (without going forged) so i could get the amazing top end madness of gt30 but still having early spool up with strong bottom and midrange if there is such a thing or how close i could get to these characteristics.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 28/02/2012 22:38

Well if you want "amazing top end madness of gt30" tehn you will need to be forged or blow your engine if not.

Anyway, I dont know if all the other people above have heard back from Matt at TD, but I know I havent, and I messaged him over a week ago.....
Posted By: jame5

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 29/02/2012 00:13

Haven't heard back yet either, i imagine his inbox is pretty full.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 29/02/2012 07:49

Originally Posted By: walker786
i was woundering what for me would be the ultimate turbo,

i am running a stage 3 set up with the usual saporting mods just now but wanted to know how much it would cost me to upgrade for my dream turbo (without going forged) so i could get the amazing top end madness of gt30 but still having early spool up with strong bottom and midrange if there is such a thing or how close i could get to these characteristics.

Have a word with Flea, he'll be able to advise based on your wishes and current spec.

I've not heard anything either.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 12:10

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply, we had some staff absences recently and haven't had a chance to get on here! All pms have now been answered, apologies for the delayed reply.

Originally Posted By: doug20vt

perhaps some prices on the following specs of turbo's would be of interest to forum members

1) rebuilt turbo with uprated seals and 360 thrust bearing and 60mm 60trim compressor wheel with machined compressor housing, standard turbine wheel

2) as above but with 62trim 60mm (gt28rs) compressor wheel

3) 62trim compressor wheel and larger 76trim turbine wheel, (both wheels from gt28rs) again with uprated seals

As is the nature of these rebuild prices they can fluctuate slightly depending upon the condition of the turbo sent in for the work to be carried out but below is the prices if the unit sent in is in good condition with no major issues:

1) 60 trim compressor wheel, 360 thrust kit & stagger gap turbine end piston ring - £350.00 + vat

2) 62 trim compressor wheel, 360 thrust kit & stagger gap turbine end piston ring - £350.00 + vat

3) As above but with the Pulsar T28 shaft and modified housing to suit - £475.00 + vat

Matt

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 13:19

have to say that those are pretty decent prices for anyone looking for a hybrid

a quick couple of technical questions for you Matt, one related to the above, the other not

Garrett have just released the gtx28r with a 60mm 58 trim wheel, how would this wheel perform in relation to say either the 60trim and 62trim wheels more commonly used and would it be able to be fitted to a hybrid

are the new billet wheels providing much in the way of increased response and performance when run at moderate boost levels, i.e. 1.2bar or do thay only really show there true performance increase over the stock gt wheels at higher boost pressures

and on a completely unrelated note, what do you think of the borg warner efr series turbos, are they as good as they are hyped up to be particularly in terms of spool time with the titanium alloy turbine wheel

cheers

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 15:28

Originally Posted By: doug20vt
have to say that those are pretty decent prices for anyone looking for a hybrid

a quick couple of technical questions for you Matt, one related to the above, the other not

Garrett have just released the gtx28r with a 60mm 58 trim wheel, how would this wheel perform in relation to say either the 60trim and 62trim wheels more commonly used and would it be able to be fitted to a hybrid

are the new billet wheels providing much in the way of increased response and performance when run at moderate boost levels, i.e. 1.2bar or do thay only really show there true performance increase over the stock gt wheels at higher boost pressures

and on a completely unrelated note, what do you think of the borg warner efr series turbos, are they as good as they are hyped up to be particularly in terms of spool time with the titanium alloy turbine wheel

cheers

At present the Garrett GTX billet compressor wheels are not available as seperate items (indeed that is likely to be the case long term). The smallest wheel in the GTX range is the 63mm item which should far outflow any of the previous T25 60mm compressor wheel.

This may come as a surprise but the Garrett GTX compressor wheels are actually heavier than the standard cast wheels (by upto 10% in some cases). This makes sense when you consider that billet is heavier than a piece of casting (next time you're in a petrol station pick up an Aero and a Yorkie - see how they compare!). Garrett initially offered the GTX turbos with the same size (give or take) compressor wheels as the cast items - these were never going to be lighter and this showed in testing where they responded similar low down to standard cast wheels - the difference came in the elevated pressure ratios they were capable of holding meaning greater top end was theoretically possible. They also felt stronger in the midrange due to broader compressor map. In other words you had to drive them hard to see the benefit! The new generation of GTX compressor wheels are designed along a similar method to our own where we make the strength of billet work for us - wheels can be machined thinner and material removed in key areas meaning you can essentially have a smaller wheel that flows the same and is stronger than a larger cast item. This is the benefit of billet wheels, smaller wheels that flow the same as larger ones rather than like for like swaps 'because it's billet and therefore better'.

I can't wait to see the EFR range break into the market - we have been appointed the sole UK approved dealer of the product by Borg Warner and the pricing is very good. The Gamme-Ti turbine wheels really are very light and this will make a huge difference on the road giving superb response. Should give some other turbo manufacturers something to think about! All we need is the stock to hurry up and arrive...

Matt

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 16:00

thanks for the informed response matt, interesting reading, should be really interesting seeing the results of some of the efr turbos when they start being fitted to various vehicles

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 16:19

Originally Posted By: TurboDynamics
At present the Garrett GTX billet compressor wheels are not available as seperate items (indeed that is likely to be the case long term)

Will that mean if you own a GTX and the compressor wheel gets damaged you have to by a new turbo? Your own can't be repaired?

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 16:28

Originally Posted By: group5lancia
At present the Garrett GTX billet compressor wheels are not available as seperate items (indeed that is likely to be the case long term)

Will that mean if you own a GTX and the compressor wheel gets damaged you have to by a new turbo? Your own can't be repaired?

You'd have to buy a complete CHRA (same as if the turbine wheel was damaged on any of the ball bearing product) which, unfortunately, makes up most of the cost of the turbo so isn't cheap!

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 16:31

So what about Turbo Dynamic's own billet wheels? Can I replace a wheel or modify a turbo fitted with your own design?

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 16:50

Originally Posted By: Nigel
So what about Turbo Dynamic's own billet wheels? Can I replace a wheel or modify a turbo fitted with your own design?

We are happy to fit our own design wheels to turbos so that's not a problem, our wheels won't be interchangeable directly with the Garrett GTX items (and the performance between the 2 may differ slightly) but I'm sure it's something that could be sorted with a little machining should the need arise!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 18:21

About the EFR range, I saw a while back the results of a EFR7670 on a Misti Evo, where they were running a T4 1.05A/R on a twin scroll, that produced 582bhp and 583lbs and had 2.5bar by 3600rpm shocked ans was still a 2.0!

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 05/03/2012 20:50

that is incredible figures from a 2l engine

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 06/03/2012 21:58

they are nice prices indeed. yes
Hi Guys,

3) As above but with the Pulsar T28 shaft and modified housing to suit - £475.00 + vat

are the details of pulsar T28 shaft...etc refere to the 76 trim turbine wheel turbo?

does anyone run one of these turbos? or are these turbos what we on the forum recognise as the stage 3, 350 bhp turbos or are these more powerfull?
What would the estimated max bhp be?

Im not exactly savvy on the turbo jargon and technical side of things but I am looking at upgrading and reading up on turbo specs on this forum gets very confusing as each supplier has different spec for the same "stage 3" turbo. yes I have read the hybrid turbo thread, still clear as mud though.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 07/03/2012 07:25

Originally Posted By: Johnny
does anyone run one of these turbos? or are these turbos what we on the forum recognise as the stage 3, 350 bhp turbos or are these more powerfull?
What would the estimated max bhp be?

The 62 trim comp and 76trim turbine are known as the FC Performanace Stage 3, or CR Turbos stage 2, and have been mapped with supporting mods to circa 350bhp.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 07/03/2012 21:05

thanks for clearing that up. Wheres my PPI claim money, I want one now!

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 11/04/2012 11:47

I have a 97 20vt with a few mods but nothing too serious (new cam and chip). I have a spare standard turbo which I'm considering sending to you for either option (1) 60mm trim wheel or option (2) 62mm trim wheel. I'm unsure which to go for as I'm no expert on turbos. Is the difference between the two their spool up rate? Will a 60mm gives you a power band lower down the rev range ?
Or do I have the wrong end of the stick/turbo?

Second question :
Do TD buy back used turbos? If I send my spare to you to get rebuilt when I swap it for the current one in the car can I send it to TD for a refund? If so how much do you give for a standard OEM turbo (Garret T28).

I did send a PM but got no reply, maybe TD were shut for easter hols though.

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 11/04/2012 13:47

Shaggy, spool up will be virtually identical between the 62trim and 60trim wheels

I would go with the 62trim wheel as it will flow more air and therefore produce more power and hold boost slighly better higher up the rev range

power bands for turbos with each wheel will be very close although you will get slightly more at all points with the 62trim

if you go for the 62trim wheel and retain the standard turbine wheel get the wastegate ported

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 11/04/2012 14:12

OK Cheers for the advice Doug. I'll go for the 62 so.
TD are you there?

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 11/04/2012 14:27

Originally Posted By: shaggy
TD are you there?

Matt tends to be busy, but I'll mention that there's a question for him

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 11/04/2012 15:18

Originally Posted By: shaggy
I have a 97 20vt with a few mods but nothing too serious (new cam and chip). I have a spare standard turbo which I'm considering sending to you for either option (1) 60mm trim wheel or option (2) 62mm trim wheel. I'm unsure which to go for as I'm no expert on turbos. Is the difference between the two their spool up rate? Will a 60mm gives you a power band lower down the rev range ?
Or do I have the wrong end of the stick/turbo?

Second question :
Do TD buy back used turbos? If I send my spare to you to get rebuilt when I swap it for the current one in the car can I send it to TD for a refund? If so how much do you give for a standard OEM turbo (Garret T28).

I did send a PM but got no reply, maybe TD were shut for easter hols though.

Sorry we were closed for easter and now have a mountain of work to do! I have sent a reply to your PM but if you need anymore information please let me know!

Matt
Posted By: plasticomnium

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 12/04/2012 13:52

Assuming, you will receive a used turbo in good/normal condition and modification specs are clear, how long does it take until I will get it back the turbo ??

Thanks,
Jochen

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 25/05/2012 15:20

Just a quick update on the great service you can expect from TD

My car has smoked from the time the new turbo was fitted, so this week, Motormech removed it, TD collected it and they've just spent three days doing all sorts of tests and measuring to make sure its OK. Turns out its absolutely fine (and thus my smoke is still a mystery), but I don't imagine very many turbo dealers would be so accomodating

10/10
Posted By: seenoff

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 25/05/2012 20:31

good to see forum, member, and company relations.
smile
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Turbo Dynamics - 21/08/2012 11:00

Havent heard from TD for a while are they still about on the forum or to busy?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK