Fiat Coupe Club UK

External wastegates

Posted By: nick_d

External wastegates - 12/02/2014 20:13

Anybody using an ext wastegate other than "tial" or "turbosmart"?
Was wondering if there is an alternative brand that is as reliable?

Nick
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: External wastegates - 12/02/2014 20:47

Have a look at Demon motorsprorts or Demon Tweeks.

They're not branded but they do offer different pressures with adjustable pre-loads.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: External wastegates - 16/02/2014 23:19

Turbosmart all day long.
Posted By: knight7660

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 00:38

A friend is using a tail at the moment and it is spot on but he has made sure it is using the cooling route unlike a Lot of people that run it without and then have issues.

He was using a different brand before it but can't remember what it was and he had no end of issues with it spiking etc.

I'd stick with the tried and tested because there's a reason why most use them

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/news/new-release-turbosmart-hp-wastegates

http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/tial-products/wastegates

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 09:21

I used Turbonetics ext-gate in the past, dont use it! i changed it to Tial 42
Posted By: Begbie

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 11:01

Originally Posted By: knight7660
A friend is using a tail at the moment and it is spot on but he has made sure it is using the cooling route unlike a Lot of people that run it without and then have issues.

I'm using the Tial 44mm without the water cooling and 2 years on is still fine.
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 12:46

Water cooled wastegate? Wow I didn't even know they existed. Air cooled ones seem to work just fine. I think Saint on here originally used a 35mm Turbonetics.

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 12:59

Yep, details of it here http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/tial-products/wastegates/39-mvr
Posted By: knight7660

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 16:59

Originally Posted By: Begbie

He said when he was having it mapped on the rollers to begin with when very hot it would mess about and then when he went to the ring last year same issue so he plumbed it into the coolant and he hasn't had anymore problems since.

Begbie have you got a screamer pipe setup or is it plumbed back I the down pipe

Re: External wastegates - 17/02/2014 21:54

WOW I find it funny that they turn a design flaw into a selling point!! I bet 99% of people are taken in by this. The reason why they are water cooled is because the sealing materials used inside cannot take the heat, they leak / warp then fail, the water cool is an afterthought. The Turbosmart WG has better sealing technology hence no need for water cooling.
Posted By: Flea

Re: External wastegates - 18/02/2014 08:04

The compact Tial wastegates can suffer horribly without the water cooling. Once the temperature builds up, especially over a few sustained runs they leak boost badly with slower spool and often a sudden drop off.

Re: External wastegates - 18/02/2014 09:06

He said when he was having it mapped on the rollers to begin with when very hot it would mess about and then when he went to the ring last year same issue so he plumbed it into the coolant and he hasn't had anymore problems since.

Begbie have you got a screamer pipe setup or is it plumbed back I the down pipe

It's plumbed back into the downpipe. I don't think I could take the noise of it being a screamer pipe.
Posted By: nick_d

Re: External wastegates - 18/02/2014 17:47

Think I'm going end up going for this one...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201029352795

Any opinions?? Seems to be a very good price.... If it IS actually Precision! wink
Posted By: kj16v

Re: External wastegates - 19/02/2014 01:19

^^ I use that same Precision PW39. Great wastegate, never missed a beat in however many years it's been on the car. Love the fact it comes with EVERYTHING too - all springs, fittings and weld-on flanges. So you don't pay the cost of the wastegate again in parts.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK