Fiat Coupe Club UK

20VT head and ancillaries on 2.4 bottom end

Posted By: AndyL

20VT head and ancillaries on 2.4 bottom end - 09/04/2014 13:55

Forgive what's probably a daft question - I've tried searching but didn't get very far.
In a corner of my garage I have a professionally rebuilt 20VT head with around 3,000 miles on it attached to a bottom end which is toast.
So my question is, can I buy one of the readily available used 2.4 Stilo engines (plus new bearings, gaskets and headbolts) and put a 20VT head and ancillaries on it?
EDIT: Ok, did a better search, found some answers. It's not so simple is it.
Posted By: JohnS

Re: 20VT head and ancillaries on 2.4 bottom end - 10/04/2014 08:24

Hello!

Yes you can but with some caveats

1. You need an alternative turbo feed. Unless you take apart the 2.4 engine there is no turbo feed. To achieve it is a simple job with the crank out as half of it is there, but the bearing part of the feed is missing
2. You need to use a combination of gaskets to achieve the correct CR. The gaskets do stack and I can tell you of at least one 400bhp coupe that stacked gaskets. The stilo gasket is thinner than the coupe one but is turbo capable as well
3. The stilo engine must be relatively low mileage otherwise you'll get blow-by on the rings. The stilo pistons are the same inherent strength as the coupe ones but have a superior coating applied and a more modern skirt design. The rods are also the same strength.
4. You will need it remapped and may need larger injectors. A standard turbo will die off at 4800rpm probably as well as it cannot flow enough and may surge since it will spool up about 6-700rpm earlier. The alternative is to run it at lower boost in which case you could also run a stilo head (but the point about the gaskets still applies). The stilo ex valves can probably do 0.8 bar - plenty of people run turbo cars with that sort of ex valve, rather that the 20vt/16vt sodium filled ones.

Enjoy!
Posted By: JohnS

Re: 20VT head and ancillaries on 2.4 bottom end - 10/04/2014 16:43

sorry should say you also need a 20VT sump but its only a 30 minute job to swap them over with the engine out
Posted By: Per

Re: 20VT head and ancillaries on 2.4 bottom end - 13/04/2014 12:57

Very interesting!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK