Fiat Coupe Club UK

What are these and can you get them after market ?

Posted By: Solouko

What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 19:25

click to enlarge click to enlarge

So, I would really like to replace these on my car when I have the engine rebuilt. I don't trust the pipe that's on there at the moment, I think it leaks under vacuum.

I know the other bit controls the turbo and I want to replace it because it might not be the reason my car's eating turbos like crisps but might be a contributing factors and want to rule it out.

First of all what are these bits called?

Second, is there an up-rated or after market version of either of them available?

If there isn't an upgrade option, where's best to get a new one of each, main dealer?
Posted By: jame5

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 19:32

The second pic is the pierburg valve or ebv (electronic boost valve) and there are aftermarket uprated parts available, i think flea does them.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 20:01

1st one is maf to turbo pipe , don't think there is an upgrade for this pipe and you maybe lucky getting one from a fiat dealer .

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 20:49

the first photo.

as above is the MAF to turbo pipe... there is something that you can do if you can't get a new one, you can put heat shrink over it to seal any leaks, although i can understand it won't look like new, it would work and be a practical fix. somebody else has done this, but can't remember where i read it on here.

second photo....

is the turbo boost valve for the control of waste gate... the rspec boost controller valve replaces this if you got the electronic boost controller in terms of the pipe work aspect, but you should still leave the original unit fitted also to prevent the ECU throwing a code in terms of the electrical connection at the top.
Posted By: Solouko

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 20:59

MY current MAF to Turbo intake pipe is wrapped with self amalgamating tape. I do have a spare but I don't like how some of the pipes coming off it are cracked and deformed.
What would be the best way to clean it? hot soapy water in the bath?

If the waste gate wasn't opening fully or if the waste gate was opening too soon because of the EBV being retarded, could that cause the turbo to blow?

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 15/06/2014 21:11

for the pipe, suggest hot soapy water, if no good, try alloy wheel cleaner, as this must be same for rubber tires and presume it must be safe on a rubber hose ??

with respect to the dump valve boost controller dufer ... the boost on your standard engine should be 1.3 bar or below... if this part was faulty your boost level could be too high and cause the engine to get damaged but not sure what implication exactly on the turbo this may have.. but would of thought more boost = more air pressure, hence more turbo stress so it could limit the life .... somebody else may well know better than me on this aspect.

if the boost was low, i would see no problem in terms of turbo damage as it would be working less hard. if the air being fed in was not filtered - damaged intake pipe or something, then it could suck grit, dust, and anything else in that will hit / adage turbo splines and then in turn go into engine chamber.

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 17/06/2014 18:26

Turbo damage:
Heat - not enough coolant supply, or oil supply.
Poor quality oil, low oil pressure, blocked feed / return.
De cat - lack of back pressure kills standard turbo oil seals.
And as said poor air filtration, but your engine would have died if youve blown multiple units.

Have you had the damaged units inspected?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: What are these and can you get them after market ? - 17/06/2014 19:08

One of the best ways of cleaning hoses such as these, I've found that those spray foam cleaners such as bbq cleaner does the trick.

Spray, work well in with paint brush of your choice, clean with water, dry & inspect for cracks & defects, leaks.

Tape up with amalgamating tape if you have to.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK