Fiat Coupe Club UK

New clutch

Posted By: Anonymous

New clutch - 22/02/2015 11:41

Right chaps. I fitted a helix paddle clutch to my 20vt a year ago and to be honest its doing my head in.
I bought it used and had it refurbed with new paddles and pressure tested.

The problem I'm having is juddering pulling away. Its only slight now and again if I don't get the biting point right but as its my daily drive and in standard trim I'm in the market for a new clutch.

Eurocarparts are selling 3. One is a Sachs one at £200+ which I ain't spending that much, and the other two are valeo at £140 but have different fitting dates. Can anyone shed some light on this as I thought they'd be the same.

Cheers for any input gav. smile
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 12:01

What sort of condition are your engine mounts in?

If they're feeling there age it'll magnify the judder.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 12:25

Engine mounts look okay is but I've not properly inspected.
I've got a week booked off work in a few weeks so was going change the clutch and belt tensioners. I can whip the mounts off then to check condition.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 12:45

New/tight engine mounts would help but paddle judder will always be there at low revs because of it's design, so if you're running standard power and would like it smooth on the pedal I'd change the friction plate on it's own for standard or maybe a fast road stage 1 which cost around £100.00.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 13:00

That sounds like a plan Joe. Where can I get just a friction plate from. I like the sound of a stage 1.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 13:10

Have a look at the clutches offered by CG Motorsport, they don't list the stage 1 friction plate on its own but I'm sure if you give them a bell they'll be happy to help.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 13:12

Yeah that's the company I used to re-paddle my existing clutch.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 13:39

Is your clutch a genuine Helix of one of CG's 6 paddle units?

Either way there's a re-sale value with the plate you're taking out so all helps towards the cost of the replacement.

Re: New clutch - 22/02/2015 14:25

I bought my clutch off a forum member. It had helix markings on it but was very worn so I sent it to CG Motorsport to have it refurbed. Looked beautiful when it came back.
I think its wasted on my car as I don't really travel that far or fast.
Posted By: volumex

Re: New clutch - 25/02/2015 20:10

i have a JBT paddle clutch fitted it takes some getting used to ..... but its a awesome piece of kit
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK