Fiat Coupe Club UK

Headgasket

Posted By: Begbie

Headgasket - 12/05/2015 08:23

With the head almost finished being rebuilt by GC, I need to get myself a new head gasket. Previously I had been using the Spesso with separate fire rings, but it seems this doesn't exist anymore (spoken to the UK agent) so my choices are somewhat limited now.

I know there is Cometic, but I can't remember if I read on a different forum that someone had a problem with it and I'd rather not be bitten again by this bloody engine grr
Posted By: kj16v

Re: Headgasket - 12/05/2015 09:19

I use Cometic MLS gaskets in most of the performance engine builds I do, including in my own 16VT. I always recommend them for 16VT builds. MLS gaskets are the only type I offer for uprated 16VT engines because, IMO, there's no need for any other type! No need for special machining for fire rings, etc, just make sure both the head and block are faced flat to 50 RA smoothness.

Re: Headgasket - 12/05/2015 10:35

BTW, how come you needed to have the head rebuilt?

Also, when you had the engine built the first time round was the block face machined with recesses to fit the fire rings, or were the fire rings the type that didn't need special machining?

Re: Headgasket - 12/05/2015 10:39

You don't obviously read coupe chat then smile linky

No block or head machining for the fire ring, the Spesso gasket is crush type ring. GC commented that he only needed to take 0.006" off the head to clear the ring marks.

Re: Headgasket - 12/05/2015 13:35

You're right, I don't read much on the forum these days!

Good to know you're rebuilding instead of breaking. 16VTs are rare enough already.

That's good because both mating surfaces need to be completely flat.
Posted By: mattB

Re: Headgasket - 12/05/2015 19:28

I'm assuming you've tried Trevor (http://www.nyssaracing.com/index.php)? Or is he the official UK agent you spoke to?

Re: Headgasket - 13/05/2015 09:22

Originally Posted By: mattB
I'm assuming you've tried Trevor (http://www.nyssaracing.com/index.php)? Or is he the official UK agent you spoke to?
Yep, spoken to Trevor smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Headgasket - 13/05/2015 20:09

I didnt have problem with Cometic on medium modified 16vt, but have on cosworth engine. Then we deeper inspect in headgasket design. And i will never use cometic again, it simply cannot work on hi-power application(say 500bhp+ on 2ltr 4cyl).
But hold more than OEM 16vt gasket, yes.

Also uk deltaparts sells 1.9mm version as stock thickness, which is bit confusing as oem is 1.6-1.7mm (=you will lost little bit of power just by this replacement)
Posted By: crgracing

Re: Headgasket - 24/04/2016 22:19

Begbie did you manage to find the spesso gasket?
Ill be needing one soon and can't find then either

Re: Headgasket - 25/04/2016 09:34

I did manage to get one. I got it from Tanc Barrett - Link to it here http://www.deltaintegrale.com/details.php?Clv=3&C1=2&C2=2&id=1663

Re: Headgasket - 25/04/2016 11:44

Thanks Begbie!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Headgasket - 01/05/2016 21:58

Just for reference, Spesso have started supply of the "rings" gasket" again after a break of a few years, so drop me an email (trevor@nyssa.ltd.uk) when you need one

Re: Headgasket - 27/06/2016 15:35

Thanks Nyssa. Purchsed one a few days ago. Ive got your email as ill possibly will be needing one in the next few months.

Thanks!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK