Fiat Coupe Club UK

Forged pistons

Posted By: Trappy

Forged pistons - 19/05/2020 11:36

The Coupé is running terribly at the moment and Rog suspects it might need new pistons. I did a half arsed job back in 2009 and went for Wossner pistons with standard rods. If it does need new (and we're not sure just yet as it needs pulling apart), then I will do it properly this time.

I'm looking around for pricing and options but the only ones I can find are Wossner. I'd like to go for a higher CR piston giving the choice. I emailed Accralite (Omega) but theyo only 'manufacture to order' and need a minimum order of 20 (so four sets).

Does anyone else make or sell forged pistons for the 20v Turbo?

It's probably worth asking about rods too. What are the current options?

I've searched through the forum but it seems the tuning scene left here long ago and moved to the Facebook groups...
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Forged pistons - 19/05/2020 15:56

Sorry to hear it's not running right - I also made the mistake of going for forged pistons and standard rods - in the end I bent a rod, so had to go for forged rods anyway....

I also killed a set of forged pistons - they were well over 100,000 miles old and I ran 2 bar on race fuel and melted the rings into the ring lands

At that point, I rebuilt with Accralite pistons, with a slightly raised CR for better off-boost response

Why not just buy my car instead? You know it makes sense..... ;-)
Posted By: lenzoferrari

Re: Forged pistons - 19/05/2020 17:07

Sorry to hear that trappy
I went for a set of JE piston I bought mine 650 + 100 import tax from America Came within 3 weeks
Or message CP send them what you want and they will make you a set

Re: Forged pistons - 20/05/2020 10:44

Lenzoferrari, what is the CR on those JE pistons?

Re: Forged pistons - 20/05/2020 13:16

Originally Posted by Nigel
Sorry to hear it's not running right - I also made the mistake of going for forged pistons and standard rods - in the end I bent a rod, so had to go for forged rods anyway....

I also killed a set of forged pistons - they were well over 100,000 miles old and I ran 2 bar on race fuel and melted the rings into the ring lands

At that point, I rebuilt with Accralite pistons, with a slightly raised CR for better off-boost response

Mine has only covered 45k and only at 1.5bar so I'm hopeful it's just news rings... I've rarely been lucky with this car though so preparing for the worst.

Haha, I've gone through far too muich with this car to give up on it now - sense went out of the window years ago laugh Besides, my little project is now past the point of no return - all sound deadening has been removed save for that behind the dash and that is coming out this evening evil

Re: Forged pistons - 20/05/2020 16:39

Something must be wrong if it's done rings after only 45k miles - my 'gapless' CP rings lasted way over 100,000 miles and would have gone on for much longer if I hadn't got a bit over-ambitious with the boost....
Posted By: lenzoferrari

Re: Forged pistons - 25/05/2020 21:50

Originally Posted by Trappy
Lenzoferrari, what is the CR on those JE pistons?

I’m running 8.0.1 cr and then decked the cylinder head to rise the cr
Posted By: MAX2

Re: Forged pistons - 12/11/2022 20:20

Hi! You bent the factory connecting rod! What is the torque and horsepower? Which turbine is installed and what is the boost?

Re: Forged pistons - 23/11/2022 18:38

Originally Posted by MAX2

Hi! You bent the factory connecting rod! What is the torque and horsepower? Which turbine is installed and what is the boost?

The standard rods are very good, but their capability is limited. Torque is what kills them. Anything above about 350 lb-ft is asking for trouble, depending on how it is delivered. I bent mine on a remapping session on a dyno - the mapper got the car to about 375 lb-ft. I asked him to reduce the torque, but the damage was already done. I was running a GT2871RS at about 1.6 bar
Posted By: MAX2

Re: Forged pistons - 25/11/2022 08:03

Originally Posted by MAX2

The standard rods are very good, but their capability is limited. Torque is what kills them. Anything above about 350 lb-ft is asking for trouble, depending on how it is delivered. I bent mine on a remapping session on a dyno - the mapper got the car to about 375 lb-ft. I asked him to reduce the torque, but the damage was already done. I was running a GT2871RS at about 1.6 bar

In my Fiat Coupe 20vt 466 hp 560 nm, gtx3071r boost 1.6 bar! The engine is standard! I think he's still alive because the boost is 1.6 bar at 4,500 thousand rpm.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK