Fiat Coupe Club UK

Oil breather installation.

Posted By: carmine

Oil breather installation. - 03/01/2021 08:05

hello everyone and a Happy New Year. I wanted to have some information about the assembly of an oil vapor filter, it is not difficult but I did not understand if I should remove the non-return valve fig.7? i will put a cap in the intake manifold this is okey but on the side of the vapor tank, do i have to leave it open anyway? one last thing, what diameter is the pipe where to insert the filter? thanks.

Attached picture 20210103_090433.jpg
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Oil breather installation. - 04/01/2021 03:12

You should leave the connection between intake manifold and the tank as the vacuum helps draw out the oil from the breather outlet on the cam cover (No.2).
I have tried set ups involving the disconnection to the No.3 pipe before...and can't say that there is any improvements to performance. If you are getting excessive oil in your intake, I would check the valve (No.7) first. If you can blow through it, the valve needs replacing....and also check the health of the engine or the viscosity of oil you are using.

Re: Oil breather installation. - 04/01/2021 07:43

thanks kelv27.

Re: Oil breather installation. - 04/01/2021 07:56

i am trying to build my own custom SIP. i try to eliminate some input if possible, like for example the tube in question by adding a filter. I only have the EBV pipe and the petrol vapor pipe left. I think I can cancel the EVB pipe, because I have a manual boost controller, I don't know if the injector light could appear, as far as the petrol vapor pipe is concerned, you can perhaps also put them 1 filter?

Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Oil breather installation. - 05/01/2021 09:06

You can put a filter...I've done that before in the past. But I get a feeling that its more difficult for the engine to get rid of its oil vapors that way. I believe that when the turbo spools, it helps pull the vapors from the catch tank. I would keep set ups as close as possible to stock...but of course that is entirely up to you.

Re: Oil breather installation. - 05/01/2021 12:17

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right, I will leave the original configuration, but I will check the valve (n.7) in case it does not work properly.
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 14:10

Originally Posted by carmine
hello everyone and a Happy New Year. I wanted to have some information about the assembly of an oil vapor filter, it is not difficult but I did not understand if I should remove the non-return valve fig.7? i will put a cap in the intake manifold this is okey but on the side of the vapor tank, do i have to leave it open anyway? one last thing, what diameter is the pipe where to insert the filter? thanks.

Carmine, where did you find that drawing of the oil breather system?

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 14:41

Hello. It's a picture I found on the internet, and I drew it in red, if I find it I'll send you the link.

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 14:49

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=63410

i found it on google but in the end it is a forum thread. Anyway, just write on google photos: "fiat coupe oil breather" and it comes out.

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 14:54

as of today I am still looking for a valve n.7. On ebay, there are many non-oem possibilities, but I don't know if they are correct.
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 16:50

Originally Posted by carmine
as of today I am still looking for a valve n.7. On ebay, there are many non-oem possibilities, but I don't know if they are correct.

Any kind of 8mm non return valve will do the job

Re: Oil breather installation. - 22/03/2021 17:14

Thanks thumb
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Oil breather installation. - 15/04/2021 20:18

you can remove pipe 4, cut it, bung the end which connects to the inlet 'elephants trunk' and put a filter on the end from the oil catch tank. this stops the oil recirculating back into the intake system.

I ran this set up for several years. Psycologically it felt better knowing no oil vapour was being mixed in the engine, no idea if it made a real difference though.

The side effect was the oil vapour has to go somewhere, all over the engine bay.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK