Fiat Coupe Club UK

Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ?

Posted By: Saint

Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? - 11/06/2021 10:11

I think this is a real long shot, but does anyone know if a grale fuel tank will fit in the rear of a coupe

I have a 4WD coupe, yet to run but all the ones I have seen finished have either a fuel cell in the boot, or a OEM style tank out of something else strapped in the boot (which is what I will do)

But someone asked me if a Grale tank will fit, I have no idea but I would say no as the floor pan is very different as I understand it. I dont want to look like a fool later for having not asked if it is doable but the pics I have seen make the grale tank look like 2 quite square boxes which I think go under each rear seat with a hoop section over the driveshaft - my feeling is the coupe under rear floor area is much more angular as the 155 Q4 which my car has the running gear from has a large tank rearward of the diff, not under seats which likely tells a story. The coupe body is too short by comparison with the sedan for it fit without that large trunk

Anyway - can anyone confirm so at least I have ruled it out before I sacrifice my boot space.

Grale tank shape for reference

ebay link

Cheers

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? - 15/06/2021 05:16

Hi

Well it seems this is a bit of an out there project to be known - I suspect its a no to fitment for the reasons above

In case anyone searches this out later I have found the Delta 2, which some suggested may fit, would need as a minimum the boot floor replacing and even then it looks pretty "deep", also it would take up the muffler area

Pics attached of the Delta 2 floor and tank for others in the 4WD build process

So it seems like a tank in the boot is the only option - nothing OEM will fit underfloor with 4WD on the coupe body shell?

Attached picture IMG_7301.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7308.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7312.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7321.JPG

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? - 23/06/2021 07:58

Well, and also the grale tank wont fit, the Q4 conversion uses a large rear subframe with trailing links the Grale doesn't have - it rather has a carrier for the rear diff and tubular suspension. The trailing link arrangement hits on the tank ends so an in boot or custom are the only options. I am using a Toyota Soarer tank in the boot

Pics to follow at some stage in the hope it helps someone

Cheers
Posted By: Stichl

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? - 31/07/2021 06:29

Sorry read too late. The tank of the Delta 2 fits, but only of the version with the spare wheel upright in the trunk. Here you have to cut away the filler neck and to do some rework, otherwise it should fit. This tank does not reach over the rear axle. Greetings Jürgen

Re: Coupe 4WD, Grale fuel tank ? - 31/07/2021 07:39

Thanks Jurgen

That must be different to the one above from the Delta 2? anyway it has been a much so I have made a toyota tank fit - it works fine

Cheers
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK